Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 PM

18 posts, read 30,326 times

Advertisements

So very hard. My (currently ex) boyfriend has so much of both. The good is really good - sweet, loving, honest, good to me, generous, awesome family, attentive, fun... When things are good we have so much fun together, and he makes me so happy. But the bad... things I can't handle. He can be so self-centered, inconsiderate, rude, bigoted, disrespectful, impulsive. Basically he's all the good things unless it inconveniences him. He does what he wants when he wants, and conversely he wont do what he doesn't want to do. He's like a 14 year old. Well, he is 14 mentally - a horrible traumatic event (his best friend was shot and killed in front of him) when he was 14 pretty much froze him in his tracks. He's 46 now.
OK never mind. The list of bad goes on. We're broken up but trying to be friends, except the same things that I couldn't deal with in a relationship, I can't deal with as a friend. It's really hard when the good stuff is really good, and the bad stuff is actually quite inconsistent... It's like I *know* he's a good person, and has a good heart but I guess there's too much damage. We've been together for a year but I can't wait around for him to realize he needs to change if he's ever going to have a successful relationship.

He really wants to remain friends. We didn't break up because of anything really bad - no cheating, or abuse, or anything like that. it hasn't been easy on either of us and we're having a hard time separating from each other. but it seems to me, he wants to be 'just friends' so he can do what he wants and not have to feel guilty for pissing off his girlfriend. Which isn't fair to me, seems he just wants the easy way out.
It's all very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
He needs trauma therapy. That's a very astute observation, that the event froze his emotional development in its tracks. That's what severe trauma does. It can also stunt intellectual development. Very sad.

Definitely, too much damage for the relationship to continue. So you need to decide (sounds like you already have) whether you can handle being friends, or whether you need to make a clean break. When you decide, tell him, and be clear about it. Don't waffle.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He needs trauma therapy.
He absolutely refuses therapy, he thinks he's fine and doesn't need to change anything. I believe nothing changes if nothing changes, and he adamantly refuses to change. I tend to think at his age, he won't change. And I tell him - I'm not trying to change who he is - it's not like I want him to be a different person. I just want the hurtful parts of him to go away.

I'm trying to be friends with him. I can't cut all ties with him - I care about him too much.
He is a hunter and fortunately hunting season starts is a few weeks, and I won't see him for a few weeks. he works 2nd shift so i don't see him during the week and he'll be gone most weekends for the next couple months. I think a break will do us good, but currently we still hang out every weekend, talk on the phone a few times every day.

I know there's no future for us, he'll most likely never be more than he is now. It just makes me sad because a horrible incident when he was 13, that he had no control over, has negatively affected his entire life. But I also know that isn't a justification for his behavior.

I always say, if he were a horrible, mean, abusive person, or a liar and a cheat, it would be so much easier to just walk away.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
You have the option of spending less time with him, maybe not EVERY weekend, so you can be open to a good relationship, yourself. If all your focus is still on him, even if it's as friends, you could miss out on some opportunities.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You have the option of spending less time with him, maybe not EVERY weekend, so you can be open to a good relationship, yourself. If all your focus is still on him, even if it's as friends, you could miss out on some opportunities.
I know. But he's my best friend. It's gonna take a while. That's why all the time he's off hunting will be a good thing.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM

302 posts, read 303,720 times
It sounds like having him in your life is a source of negativity and pain for you. I would consider going cold turkey. Use his hunting trip as a stepping stone to ceasing all contact with him.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
It sounds like having him in your life is a source of negativity and pain for you. I would consider going cold turkey. Use his hunting trip as a stepping stone to ceasing all contact with him.
Believe me, it's something I consider. It's just hard - plus we have mutual friends.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,002,401 times
It sounds to me like you have a clear vision of the person he could become -- his best self, all the good parts and less of the bad parts -- but he is not interested in becoming that person.

I predict that when you really realise this you will lose interest in him.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,251,133 times
if he refuses to help himself, then you stop mothering him..... and spend more time apart....

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM

892 posts, read 1,501,550 times
So the short of it is that he's OK with who he is, and you are trying to desperately change that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships