Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM

71 posts, read 91,153 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old guy who was born and raised in the heart of New England. I graduated college a little over a year ago and I've been living at home and working a good paying job full time for the last 6 months or so. The only problem is I don't see myself living here long term. I get out quite a bit (play a lot of sports, go to the bars every weekend) but feel like all my friends that are still home are the type that will be living in my town for the rest of their lives. I don't want to be like that. I want to get out, live on my own (well, with a roommate), and be forced to meet people (so basically college all over again).

The biggest problem that I've seen is that although my state is a great place to raise a family, every young person seems to be venturing off to Boston, NYC, or another major city to live. A lot of worthwhile girls that I've met and would have dated had they been staying here, have bigger dreams than my small state.

My tentative goal is to move out by the start of next summer. That way, I would have put in over a year at my current job and would be able to enjoy the good summer weather. Although finding a job is always tough, I have a pretty good head on my shoulders, a very solid college transcript with majors that are always in demand, and now legitimate work experience. I'm not too worried and will start months in advance.

From all of your experiences, what cities have you seen a good mix of young professionals or where have you always wished you could have lived fresh out of college? I think when the time comes, I'll be looking mainly on the east coast.

Maybe some of you had good/bad experiences in certain cities or thought one city had better looking/snobbier/friendlier people than another. I'd love to hear all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
It's not "what city?" it's "what part of any city".

You'll find more singles moving a few blocks or a few miles away than you will moving a few states away.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Dc

Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
NYC
Chicago
DC
SF
Boston
Portland
Austin

Do you really need people to give you a list of American cities?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Any city. Truly.

And be prepared that when you go to any city, every single there will tell you why being single there sucks, and how the dating scene is terrible, and how there's nobody to date, guys don't commit, girls are gold diggers, etc. That is the standard line from the average person who is single who doesn't want to be, anywhere and everywhere. To hear an unhappily single person put it, EVERY city is "bad for singles." Go to any city profiled on city data, and you will find threads about how
"[city] is bad for singles."

It's just the way people are. It doesn't mean that the city is bad for singles, it means that dating is hard and young people are fickle, and finding someone can be frustrating. You're best bet is to go to population centers...more people, better odds. But I don't think that, apart from sheer size and how that can increase your odds, any particular city is better than any other. That just comes down to personal taste, if you like the culture of a particular city and might find the people there to your liking, etc. But you will ALWAYS find people who are young and single whose mantra is "This city sucks for dating." It's just kind of the way it is.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:29 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post

You'll find more singles moving a few blocks or a few miles away than you will moving a few states away.
This is pretty much spot on. The issue with a lot of younger people living with their parents after college is that for the most part the parents live in family-oriented suburbs surrounded by shopping centers and chain restaurants. Most cities have the part of town where younger people live, many times near colleges or independent business districts. So it's not like moving to Boston will solve your problem if you live in the wrong part of Boston.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Most major cities have neighborhoods that are almost exclusively made up of/cater to 20-somethings.

I spent a lot of my 20s in both NYC and Boston. Off the top of my head: Allston, Davis Square, Central Square, the North End in Boston; Williamsburg/Astoria/LES/East Village in NYC. But really, there are tons more. Within cities, it's all about finding a neighborhood with your particular vibe. Areas can change dramatically within just a few blocks.

Obviously, none of these places are that cheap, so maybe start by casting a wide net in the job search?

Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post

agreed

Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times
Not Seattle or the west coast.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Charlotte, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships