Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM

32 posts, read 45,446 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I Just turned 29 recently and I will be finished with my grad degree in May. I am looking to change my life around and hopefully find someone to settle down with. I wanted to know what cities are best for a black lesbian? And I would appreciate anyone who could speak from experience. I just wanted to pick a place that is vibrant and cultured. Thanks for the help sorry for the sentences typing from my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashaun217 View Post
Hi everyone I Just turned 29 recently and I will be finished with my grad degree in May. I am looking to change my life around and hopefully find someone to settle down with. I wanted to know what cities are best for a black lesbian? And I would appreciate anyone who could speak from experience. I just wanted to pick a place that is vibrant and cultured. Thanks for the help sorry for the sentences typing from my phone.
29 is young these days ?! Anyway, I would recommend San Fransisco, or Portland.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Well...there are places in CA that are known for being culturally vibrant, diverse, and LGBT friendly, obviously.

Having lived in western WA, I can tell you that Seattle, Portland, and everything in between more or less would work. However, the cost of living on the west coast is steep, and the weather up in the Pacific NW takes some getting used to.

I lived in Cincinnati, OH back in the mid-90's and I don't know how it is now, but there was a lot of lesbian presence in the Art Academy scene at the time.

Here in Colorado, I'd say Denver or Boulder...although the state is very libertarian so you can "live and let live" as nearly any kind of person here.

I would not recommend Virginia, though I love it there, as there are some very vocal backwards conservative types that freak me out, and I think they'd freak you out too. Lots of good people there, but some that are not so tolerant or nice...and hard I think for a newcomer. I've also lived in Iowa and would not recommend anyone live there unless they are dreaming of very boring suburban living and/or cornfield enthusiasts (if there are such people LOL)...

That covers my opinions on places I've actually lived or spent time in.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,079 times
NYC (read: Brooklyn, Harlem, and I've even heard about Queens), San Francisco, D.C., and Baltimore are the cities I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:30 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Queens.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:32 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well...there are places in CA that are known for being culturally vibrant, diverse, and LGBT friendly, obviously.

Having lived in western WA, I can tell you that Seattle, Portland, and everything in between more or less would work. However, the cost of living on the west coast is steep, and the weather up in the Pacific NW takes some getting used to.

I lived in Cincinnati, OH back in the mid-90's and I don't know how it is now, but there was a lot of lesbian presence in the Art Academy scene at the time.

Here in Colorado, I'd say Denver or Boulder...although the state is very libertarian so you can "live and let live" as nearly any kind of person here.

I would not recommend Virginia, though I love it there, as there are some very vocal backwards conservative types that freak me out, and I think they'd freak you out too. Lots of good people there, but some that are not so tolerant or nice...and hard I think for a newcomer. I've also lived in Iowa and would not recommend anyone live there unless they are dreaming of very boring suburban living and/or cornfield enthusiasts (if there are such people LOL)...

That covers my opinions on places I've actually lived or spent time in.
I gotta take up for my home state a bit here. Now if the OP would pick a city in VA that is very close to DC like Alexandria or Arlington, there it would not be much of an issue to be a lesbian. Both cities and the close in VA suburbs of DC are extremely liberal. Now if she was trying to live somewhere like Richmond or Norfolk, that I would never recommend to a gay or lesbian person.

I'd also have her check out DC itself if she can score a good-paying job here.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
There's a city over there --------------->

Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I gotta take up for my home state a bit here. Now if the OP would pick a city in VA that is very close to DC like Alexandria or Arlington, there it would not be much of an issue to be a lesbian. Both cities and the close in VA suburbs of DC are extremely liberal. Now if she was trying to live somewhere like Richmond or Norfolk, that I would never recommend to a gay or lesbian person.

I'd also have her check out DC itself if she can score a good-paying job here.
Aye, you're probably right...

(But the traffic...ugh!)

My family lives in Fredericksburg, and when I lived there with them it was more like the middle of nowhere. Now it's all developed up, blended into the I-95 corridor. But I do think that people in that area are less friendly to random strangers than people in the Midwest or on the West Coast. You don't expect someone working at McDonalds or 7-11 to smile at you, and if they did it might make some of the natives uncomfortable. But once you get to know people, they can be pretty great.

But yeah, oddly Richmond is one of the most tattooed cities in the US supposedly, yet a person with visible ink can't get a job like in an office, from what I've heard. In WA and CO, offices where I've been working doing energy and utility management analysis and audits, lots of the people have exposed tattoos.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
29 is young these days ?! Anyway, I would recommend San Fransisco, or Portland.
I echo the Portland. It's a great city, and very very accepting.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
I echo the Portland. It's a great city, and very very accepting.
Plus they've got March Fourth Marching Band there, which is freakin' cool. I challenge anyone, no matter how shy, to go to one of their performances and not dance. I am petrified of dancing...and I still danced. Those people up in the NW can be so colorful and vibrant in music and arts. It's awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships