Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,092,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
The men I know who seem to have the best luck in attracting women are the ones who seem to offer the least. These are men who mirror the style an personality of actor Russell Crowe. He is strong, silent, macho, mean, uncommunicative, cocky, unemotional and strong willed. He is everything a man is suppose to be in popular culture but exactly the type of man who is terrible for a personal relationship.

What is it about the macho man that is so attractive to women and why do ladies keep going for them time after time?
Are we talking about men or are we talking about farts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,574,766 times
I like a man who's strong and knows when to be silent.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,660,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
The strong and silent type are sooooo rare in my part of the woods, that I've convinced myself that the rest of them are all latent, emasculated, sissy men who were ruined by the Xenoestrogens in foods and plastics (I know...I'm weird, lol.)
Exactly, you're right. WAY too many girly men now days, guys aren't supposed to be sensitive and talk about our feelings and cry while watching Bambi or some crap like that. Those kinds of guys are a failure of genetics and society and a total discredit to men everywhere. Guys are supposed to be strong, masculine, hard-headed, and macho. Those are the real men, like an Arnold Schwarzenegger or a Clint Eastwood. THOSE are men.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Riv

236 posts, read 605,159 times
Remember the days when women went for the sensitive, feeling, communicative kind of man?

Remember Woody Allen?

The media doesn't wish for you to remember those days.

The media glorifies the image of the macho even though the (insensitive, unfaithful, violent, addictive, uncommunicative, inarticulate, stupid, crude form of the) macho is the worst kind of a man for a woman to marry or get involved with. The women are conducive to what the media tells them is desirable, the media tells them THIS is desirable and THAT is undesirable and women follow (and yes, men do the same thing but not this man!) then the younger women follow and make the same irrational and doomed to fail choices as the older women made.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:50 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,156,228 times
I don't like that...I like guys who talk more than I do (I'm quiet) and who are somewhat emotionally expressive. I like someone who can make witty conversation too.
I don't like a hyper-sensitive guy with uncontrolled emotions, just not some macho stereotype. I don't like guys who are the center of attention or wallflowers either. Someone who has good social skills and is friendly works for me. I will take shy over attention ***** any day though.

Funny someone mentioned Woody Allen...I really like Adam Goldberg's character in 2 Days in Paris, who has been compared to a Woody Allen type.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM

355 posts, read 815,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That is also true for the gay culture. Gay men are attracted to the cold and silent type and I am pretty sure their relationships are low quality or useless because they are buying into some bs image. Also gay men are obsessesed with sex...Moderator cut: Insulting/offensive

I think gays would be more accepted into society if they didn't act so ignorant and immature.

Sure I like guys to be masculine and have a strong image but he also NEEDS to have age appropriate communication skills, emotional intelligence, and be responsible in the relationship. If the man is more on the effeminate side then that is ok too but as long as he meets all the other criteria.
Rep for that one, artsyguy.

I also went for the macho types when I first started dating, and eventually, I got tired of the uni-dimensionality of the relationships (i.e., they weren't REALLY relationships at all. They were a one-way street with me doing all the freaking work).

I eventually matured and realized that without communication, there is NOTHING. I ended up with a guy who definitely acts more feminine than other men, but he gives me everything I've ever wanted. The fact that he used to be a powerlifter makes him "look" like the strong, silent type, and he doesn't really say that much in public (he's a body language kind of guy), but if we need to talk about things, he's more than willing to sit down and communicate. He's sensitive. He's compassionate. I think those qualities are essential in forging a healthy relationship.

The best thing about him? He's funny and not afraid to act like a goofball, even in public

So I'd much rather have a guy that my family thinks is a girly-boy than the pigs I've gone out with in the past that my family thought were "good catches".

The second male in our threesome is much more dominant, but he's still a sensitive guy and can communicate better than I can.

I'm pretty lucky, but I've waited a very long time to get what I want. The wait was well worth it.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 AM

61 posts, read 112,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
I've got the strong silent type...and a jarhead on top of it.
He's rough and gruff on the outside but has a heart of gold and melts around me and the kids...now he's putty in his granddaughter's hands and she's only two months old.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the rough and gruff. Many times there's a marshmellow inside.
so true....

Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 PM

51 posts, read 129,076 times
Oh goodness, no. Macho, "strong", silent types annoy me. I let them know that too. Haha. I suppose growing up in a culture (Mexican) where that is what a "real" man is, I just found it to be so stupid. I like my independence and someone who is easy to work with and have a relationship with. "Macho man" can't help with any of that. LOL.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 AM

249 posts, read 474,402 times
Usually these type of men can mend things in our house...

Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,868,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I'm not sure what women you are talking to but the one thing that attracted me the most to my boyfriend was his awesome charisma and sensitivity. He has a way with words that can make my knees collapse
Well, that's the other successful approach. Either don't say much, so they think that the SS Type agrees with them, (they always get a dose of reality after marriage) or find someone who actually does agree with them (or is a good actor) and nearly always get a dose of reality after marriage.

And people actually question why 50% of marriages end in divorce and a majority of the remainder are mostly unhappy.

Its not primarily that women are easily conned (they just see what they want to see) but what most men will put up with for steady sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships