Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times

Advertisements

Do you want him to struggle to open a jar?
Do you want him to be able to carry the groceries inside?
Do you want him to pick up a heavy box?
Do you want him to move the furniture around?
Do you want him to sweep you off your feet and carry you to the bedroom?
Do you want him to flip a heavy tire?
Do you want him to pull a plane?

...A spin-off from the how a man should look thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:35 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

no

yes

yes

yes

Yes

Yes

No. There is only one Kevin Fast in the world, and he is not that attractive.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
I want my husband to be exactly as he is all the other stuff is trivial blah blah and I would not love him any more or any less if he could do all of the things you listed or none of the things you listed.

There are women who have men in their lives who "used" to be able to do all of those things but cannot do them now because of illness, an accident, stroke, injured in war, injured at work etc. I doubt that most of them have left their men because they cannot open a jar or carry the groceries. I would bet those women are just happy to have their men alive and with them.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I want my husband to be exactly as he is all the other stuff is trivial blah blah and I would not love him any more or any less if he could do all of the things you listed or none of the things you listed.

There are women who have men in their lives who "used" to be able to do all of those things but cannot do them now because of illness, an accident, stroke, injured in war, injured at work etc. I doubt that most of them have left their men because they cannot open a jar or carry the groceries. I would bet those women are just happy to have their men alive and with them.
And the only thing I can add to your list is some of us guys are the way we are NOW because of the way we USED to be able to do those things..being stupid and overlifting,scrapping around and wiping out things has its price in the long run and you WILL pay for it someday...don't believe me? Come watch me waddle around the house the first 15 minutes after I get out of bed

Old 05-26-2013, 09:02 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
Quote:
Do you want him to struggle to open a jar? I open my own jars. I usually hand my beers to my husband to open. His hands are calloused than mine and those hurt. I don't really care if he can open a jar.
Do you want him to be able to carry the groceries inside? Well, I usually carry the groceries inside. So, yeah he should be able to do it too.
Do you want him to pick up a heavy box? If I can't pick it up, he should help me pick it up or pick it up himself.
Do you want him to move the furniture around? I want help moving furniture. I'm not rude enough to expect him to do it by himself.
Do you want him to sweep you off your feet and carry you to the bedroom? No, my feet stay firmly on the ground.
Do you want him to flip a heavy tire? Why would I want him to do that?
Do you want him to pull a plane? Again, why would anyone what a guy to be able to do that?

I like that my husband is stronger than me. That was enough enough for me. He's gotten stronger since we got married. He didn't used to work out or play sports and I do. He picked up some of my habits and I've picked up some of his. Not always the good ones.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And the only thing I can add to your list is some of us guys are the way we are NOW because of the way we USED to be able to do those things..being stupid and overlifting,scrapping around and wiping out things has its price in the long run and you WILL pay for it someday...don't believe me? Come watch me waddle around the house the first 15 minutes after I get out of bed
Eh?

My grandfather from my step-father's side used to be a bodybuilder is still strong , even in his 60's. He is able to work around the house and carry things. He does 50 push ups 50 sit ups and 10 pull ups every morning.

...He's one of the few men who doesn't have a beer belly at that age (more like a flat stomach)

Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Quote:

It would be great if he could do all of the above except the last two.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Eh?

My grandfather from my step-father's side used to be a bodybuilder is still strong , even in his 60's. He is able to work around the house and carry things. He does 50 push ups 50 sit ups and 10 pull ups every morning.

...He's one of the few men who doesn't have a beer belly at that age (more like a flat stomach)
How many fights has he been in? How many vehicles has he wrecked?how many falls off horses/mules has he taken? Did he work a heavy construction job all his life?any chronic illness?did he ever drive a truck to where he was up 20 hours a day for days on end?

I'm closer to 50 than I am to 40,still have a flat stomach(at 240lbs I might add) and look like I'm in good shape from the outside...walk around in my body for an hour and you'll want to trade back damn quick.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM

111 posts, read 223,730 times
I think muleskinner is pointing out that some men overestimate their strength and end up injuring themselves or they injure themselves because they're not careful about how they lift and move things. It sounds like your grandfather is able to do these things because he keeps himself fit, and I'd also guess that he is also pretty aware of the limits of his strength.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:29 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,167,784 times
Quote:
Do you want him to struggle to open a jar? Yes, at least open a jar. If I can open it why can't he?
Do you want him to be able to carry the groceries inside? Yes
Do you want him to pick up a heavy box? Yes
Do you want him to move the furniture around? Yes
Do you want him to sweep you off your feet and carry you to the bedroom? Not really (optional)
Do you want him to flip a heavy tire? Not really (optional)
Do you want him to pull a plane? No

The first 4 answers are an obvious yes as that's something I can do also. Those are basic things. Unless he really had a serious condition then I wouldn't mind doing most of the things on the list but it would be helpful if he can do some things. I don't ask for too much either.

I recalled one funny episode with my then bf. There was a box of CD's that was only slightly heavy but not too much. He only carried it for a minute or so before saying ''It's too heavy'' and handed it to me.

Actually he once told he almost had to go to the hospital once for lifting something too heavy. No joke. So it was really me doing most of the carrying in my relationship. No way he would ever sweep me off my feet and take me to the bedroom (I was almost his same height and only 10 lbs lighter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships