Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,621,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
What have you witnessed, experienced, been lead to believe that makes you think all women are out to be possessive and not allow their men some space?

I don't know anyone like that. Every women I know is working full time, doing happy hours with coworkers, playing on sports leagues without their SO's, going out on girls nights, going to school, living on their own, the list goes on. Idk where they would find the time to be up their SO's ass constantly.

None of the female friends I have live with their boyfriends and none of them have intentions of marriage or moving in, because they enjoy living with female friends or solo at this point in their life.

How much more space can someone need than that?
Good point. The women I know who are single and own their own homes don't want to co-habit. They want to maintain their own independent space. It's the guys who try to pressure or manipulate them into letting them move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 PM

44,420 posts, read 20,179,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
I think one of the main reasons for the extremely high rate of divorce and breakups is that women cannot accept that men need their space. There's this silly idea that, if men need time apart from their SO's, then something must be wrong. It's not true.

Men need men time. We need to hang out alone and we need to hang out with other men. In our society that's just such an unpopular notion. Everything has to be mixed gender now. Back in the olden days, back when the divorce rate was almost non-existent, you had clubs just for men, places they could go and hang out, have a cocktail and a smoke. Even in the workplace you had many fewer women. When groups of people got together for a dinner they would eat and then the men would go to their area to hang out and the women had theirs.

And what did this result in? Longer lasting, healthier marriages. And the statistics are there to prove me right.

We need this time apart to decompress and not have a woman up in our business. And the men who have women up in they bidness everyday all day eventually grow to despise them. I've seen it happen many times.
People this ^ is the opening post. This post is not about divorce statistics. Please stay on topic, and please do not bicker. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so please be respectful of other users even if you disagree with them. Thanks.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 PM

44,420 posts, read 20,179,212 times
Edit: Not needed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-27-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,689,315 times
Lightbulb The Captain Sez This...

One of the main reasons my marriage works as well as it does, is due to the fact that my wife and I recognize the differences in each other's makeup, therefore, we have no problem giving the other space

I have my 'man cave' in our large basement...it's full of my books, records, dvd's, vhs tapes, etc...her 'girl space' is on the other side of the basement...

She enjoys her time out with her many (married and single) lady friends...no cackling going on there, just women interacting and having a good time together...I am a voracious reader, so I spend lots of time at the library and local bookstores and thrift shops...I have my 'time with the fellas' when we go to ballgames, or watch games at each other's homes, or at a nearby sports bar

In all the time we've bben together (going on 10 yrs now) not ONCE has there been any issue of EITHER of us not getting the space and 'alone time' we both sometimes need---which makes our time TOGETHER that much better

I mean, really, all this junk about 'someone in your bidness' is kinda on you to remedy, don't you think?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,966,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
One of the main reasons my marriage works as well as it does, is due to the fact that my wife and I recognize the differences in each other's makeup, therefore, we have no problem giving the other space

I have my 'man cave' in our large basement...it's full of my books, records, dvd's, vhs tapes, etc...her 'girl space' is on the other side of the basement...

She enjoys her time out with her many (married and single) lady friends...no cackling going on there, just women interacting and having a good time together...I am a voracious reader, so I spend lots of time at the library and local bookstores and thrift shops...I have my 'time with the fellas' when we go to ballgames, or watch games at each other's homes, or at a nearby sports bar

In all the time we've bben together (going on 10 yrs now) not ONCE has there been any issue of EITHER of us not getting the space and 'alone time' we both sometimes need---which makes our time TOGETHER that much better

I mean, really, all this junk about 'someone in your bidness' is kinda on you to remedy, don't you think?
Bingo my friend, that's the way mature marriages work

Everybody gets their space, and we know both men and women need it, and nobody is made to feel guilty about getting what they need

Old 08-27-2013, 02:36 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,822,292 times
Both of us are introverted and like some quiet time alone, but he and I are best friends and like to spend most of our free time together. Sometimes we spend our non-free time together too; we've worked at the same place twice.

We like one another. Alert the media.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 PM

37,793 posts, read 46,303,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashrulez View Post
I think one of the main reasons for the extremely high rate of divorce and breakups is that women cannot accept that men need their space. There's this silly idea that, if men need time apart from their SO's, then something must be wrong. It's not true.

Men need men time. We need to hang out alone and we need to hang out with other men. In our society that's just such an unpopular notion. Everything has to be mixed gender now. Back in the olden days, back when the divorce rate was almost non-existent, you had clubs just for men, places they could go and hang out, have a cocktail and a smoke. Even in the workplace you had many fewer women. When groups of people got together for a dinner they would eat and then the men would go to their area to hang out and the women had theirs.

And what did this result in? Longer lasting, healthier marriages. And the statistics are there to prove me right.

We need this time apart to decompress and not have a woman up in our business. And the men who have women up in they bidness everyday all day eventually grow to despise them. I've seen it happen many times.
Lol!!! I'm a woman...and I have YET to meet a man that gives me the space I truly need. My BF is better than most, but even he just wants more together time than I can give.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

37,793 posts, read 46,303,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good point. The women I know who are single and own their own homes don't want to co-habit. They want to maintain their own independent space. It's the guys who try to pressure or manipulate them into letting them move in.
Exactly.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,862,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Both of us are introverted and like some quiet time alone, but he and I are best friends and like to spend most of our free time together. Sometimes we spend our non-free time together too; we've worked at the same place twice.

We like one another. Alert the media.
There is the best friends aspect, too.

Relationships where you truly are each others' best friend tend to veer more in the "spend more time together" direction vs. relationships that don't have that same dynamic.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,862,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Lol!!! I'm a woman...and I have YET to meet a man that gives me the space I truly need. My BF is better than most, but even he just wants more together time than I can give.
How much space is that?

I need my space too, but some of you make it sound like you need 5 days alone a week!

Not a criticism. Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships