Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,732,609 times

Advertisements

So as some of you may remember, I haven't always had much luck with women. This summer, I did an internship that took me to Atlanta, GA and Charlotte, NC. What a difference that made! In Atlanta I met a bunch of people quite easily and one girl even took a liking to me. We hooked up a couple times but we decided not to take things any further (mix of her not being over her ex and me leaving ATL). In Charlotte, I ended up going on a date with a girl I met on OKCupid and we hung out several times during my brief stint there. In addition, I found myself pretty confident in talking to women in both cities, and also seemed to get better responses on OKC in both cities.

I do not know why this was the case, but it was. Maybe it was the fact that I was alone in both cities with no friend network to lean on. Maybe it was the whole "starting somewhere new" thing that helped give me a confidence boost. But whatever it was, I decided that I am moving the hell outta DC once I graduate.

If you are stuck in a rut and you can move, I think it'd be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,455,275 times
Why would a different city make a difference? I different part of the same city might make a difference.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,060,785 times
That's been the consensus, especially people who live in smaller towns where there's basically no dating.

But the change the scenery and people is usually a good thing, but not always.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,907,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Why would a different city make a difference? I different part of the same city might make a difference.
Umm no. Trust me on this. A city like Louisville is a good example. The single women there are far too socially conservative no matter what side of town you live on. It is just what accessory they may possibly come with. The West End they likely will come with a couple of kids and a hood attitude. The South End they may have a couple of kids and a redneck attitude. The East End, probably no kids but a very stuck up attitude.

Hurricane, have you ventured into Baltimore? I get the vibe that the women are a little more laid back there from the couple of times I went to the Power Plant.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 PM

7,954 posts, read 8,245,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Different regions of this country have different cultures for one.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM

12,585 posts, read 17,018,813 times
I believe this change is true.

Lots of people in violent areas won't even talk to strangers.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,654,869 times
Well do not move to Seattle you might hate it.

It's not that people here are unfriendly, they will hold the door for you and wave you into traffic and stuff like that, it's that everything is maddeningly impersonal. The attitude is "have a nice day, somewhere else". It's easy to get along but making friends is almost impossible. People will say they want to hang out with you sometime and look at you like a freak when you actually suggest something. People enthusiastically say they are coming to a party then don't show up. People are flaky and hard to pin down. Girls lead you on for weeks and snub you with no explanation. People are insincere. Norms of social interaction don't apply here. Most people don't like or dislike you, they're totally indifferent. Every interaction will be maddeningly superficial.

While in settings such as bars and parties, people from Seattle tend to mainly interact with their particular clique.

Rather than be outgoing and kind to others, men and women in Seattle have decided that the best way to be friendly is to simply leave people alone to do as they please.
With everyone leaving everyone else alone, it has become unnatural to talk to strangers. Indeed, those that do try to go out of their way and meet someone new are seen as strange and possibly off, and are often tolerated until the moment that the person has the opportunity to leave.

It takes longer to open up and friendship has to grow slowly up here.The uncomfortable looks you get when you strike up a conversation with a stranger. The lack of eye contact. The shy, don’t-talk-to-me body language.

We have a saying up here it goes like this "Hey lets do something some time and by some time i mean never". Another one is have a nice day but have it somewhere else.

Yea it can suck up hear and making friends is hard . One just was to really work at making friends and be outgoing.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,387,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Umm no. Trust me on this. A city like Louisville is a good example. The single women there are far too socially conservative no matter what side of town you live on. It is just what accessory they may possibly come with. The West End they likely will come with a couple of kids and a hood attitude. The South End they may have a couple of kids and a redneck attitude. The East End, probably no kids but a very stuck up attitude.

Hurricane, have you ventured into Baltimore? I get the vibe that the women are a little more laid back there from the couple of times I went to the Power Plant.
Actually, it depends on the city. The city I live in have different people in different parts of town.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,387,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post

It's not that people here are unfriendly, they will hold the door for you and wave you into traffic and stuff like that, it's that everything is maddeningly impersonal. The attitude is "have a nice day, somewhere else". It's easy to get along but making friends is almost impossible. People will say they want to hang out with you sometime and look at you like a freak when you actually suggest something. People enthusiastically say they are coming to a party then don't show up. People are flaky and hard to pin down. Girls lead you on for weeks and snub you with no explanation. People are insincere. Norms of social interaction don't apply here. Most people don't like or dislike you, they're totally indifferent. Every interaction will be maddeningly superficial.

While in settings such as bars and parties, people from Seattle tend to mainly interact with their particular clique.

Rather than be outgoing and kind to others, men and women in Seattle have decided that the best way to be friendly is to simply leave people alone to do as they please.
With everyone leaving everyone else alone, it has become unnatural to talk to strangers. Indeed, those that do try to go out of their way and meet someone new are seen as strange and possibly off, and are often tolerated until the moment that the person has the opportunity to leave.

It takes longer to open up and friendship has to grow slowly up here.The uncomfortable looks you get when you strike up a conversation with a stranger. The lack of eye contact. The shy, don’t-talk-to-me body language.

We have a saying up here it goes like this "Hey lets do something some time and by some time i mean never". Another one is have a nice day but have it somewhere else.

Yea it can suck up hear and making friends is hard . One just was to really work at making friends and be outgoing.
Hmmm, I would have been right at home a few years ago.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,410,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post

sounds like a lot of places in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships