Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,476,179 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure whether to place this post in the relationships forum or the internet forum; mod(s) feel free to move it if necessary.

I belong to another website that is not focused on getting people together in person, but does have groups on it that allow personal ads. When responding to an online personal ad or sending a private message to someone after reading their profile with the goal of trying to meet them in real life, how many messages should be exchanged online or via apps like Kik first before asking the person to meet you face to face? For me, I'd prefer to meet someone in person as soon as possible, since you then have visual cues such as body language to help you interpret their level of interest in you. But some people may see a rush to meet in person as a red flag, or may see it as being too aggressive and pushy.

I did exchange a few messages with two women on this other website, but then both just stopped sending me messages without any explanation. I'm not sure if it was because I was too anxious to meet in person, or if I wasn't decisive enough in suggesting plans to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,830,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I wasn't sure whether to place this post in the relationships forum or the internet forum; mod(s) feel free to move it if necessary.

I belong to another website that is not focused on getting people together in person, but does have groups on it that allow personal ads. When responding to an online personal ad or sending a private message to someone after reading their profile with the goal of trying to meet them in real life, how many messages should be exchanged online or via apps like Kik first before asking the person to meet you face to face? For me, I'd prefer to meet someone in person as soon as possible, since you then have visual cues such as body language to help you interpret their level of interest in you. But some people may see a rush to meet in person as a red flag, or may see it as being too aggressive and pushy.

I did exchange a few messages with two women on this other website, but then both just stopped sending me messages without any explanation. I'm not sure if it was because I was too anxious to meet in person, or if I wasn't decisive enough in suggesting plans to meet.
To me , if a guy doesn’t suggest plans to meet .. game over

Old 06-18-2018, 02:40 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,249,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Or they just weren't interested in meeting you at all.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:28 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,830,086 times
I remember reading a poster saying this .. if it isn't going to happen quick, it isn't going to happen.. I think the person practically nailed it

Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 AM

1,178 posts, read 686,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Me too. After a week or so, I am doe with the “how r u?”s.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,609,788 times
Or, they weren't women.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,168,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Or, they weren't women.
Reminds me of the saying: On the Internet, the men are men, the women are men, and the children are the FBI.

But seriously, my advice to the OP is to move any contacts to email as quickly as possible, and after a few longer emails do whatever you can to move it to phone (and text).

You should have arranged a first "meet in person date" (in a public place) no longer than two weeks after first contact.

I say two weeks because IMO "not yet met" relationships last no more than a couple dates, and one or the other or both get bored and move on because there's no action, no pay off. (Posts above mine support this "got tired of it and quit" concept.)

Just noting, you have not met somebody until you and they are sharing coffee or cocktails in person. Everything before that is just "orbiting" or some other non-real OLD category.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the question is, how soon should the guy do that?
I'm sure I read somewhere on that other website about members who suggest meeting in person too quickly being a red flag that others (especially women) should be wary about. It also could suggest desperation, as if the person suggesting meeting up soon has nothing else going on in their life so they want to grab onto the first opportunity to meet someone that comes along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Or they just weren't interested in meeting you at all.
If that was the case, then why even bother replying to my first message and starting a conversation (online) with me?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Reminds me of the saying: On the Internet, the men are men, the women are men, and the children are the FBI.

But seriously, my advice to the OP is to move any contacts to email as quickly as possible, and after a few longer emails do whatever you can to move it to phone (and text).

You should have arranged a first "meet in person date" (in a public place) no longer than two weeks after first contact.

I say two weeks because IMO "not yet met" relationships last no more than a couple dates, and one or the other or both get bored and move on because there's no action, no pay off. (Posts above mine support this "got tired of it and quit" concept.)

Just noting, you have not met somebody until you and they are sharing coffee or cocktails in person. Everything before that is just "orbiting" or some other non-real OLD category.
LOL... I'd never heard that saying before, but I like it!

In both cases with the two women I contacted, the communication between us stopped within just a few messages using the site's own messaging system, and within a week of the first message. I think I did say to one woman that I was open to meeting in person and talking, and she said she would rather chat via Kik first before meeting in person. I gave her my Kik name and asked her when a good time would be to chat with her, but then it was Memorial Day weekend and she said she'd try to get me toward the end of the weekend. I don't really like using a messaging app on my smartphone as I find it much easier to type on my computer, so I didn't leave the app running the whole weekend. But I didn't see any messages from her when I did put the app on again, and she didn't leave any messages on the site either.

The other woman wrote me a nice, thoughtful reply to my first message, and told me that she loved my message (I do try to put thought into my messages, and tailor them to a user's profile). She revealed some info about her relationship with her Mom in her first message, to which I replied that I was somewhat envious of the openness that they had between them, and that I couldn't imagine being able to talk with my parents in the same way (as I came from a very strict and conservative household). I'm wondering if I may have said too much there and somehow turned her off to the idea of wanting to meet me in person. Oh, there is one other thing that I wondered about: I did ask her where she lived (what city, not her exact address) because I wanted to get an idea of how far we'd have to drive to see each other. I said that while I don't mind driving an hour to visit someone, that some people don't like to drive long distances to get together with someone (meaning perhaps she wouldn't want to drive that far to see me). Her profile indicates that she lives in the same city as me, but she told me that she only chose to use that city as her location because she couldn't choose the small town that she actually lives in (you can't type in your city name like on C-D).

I'm just trying to figure out what I may have done wrong here so I don't repeat my mistakes in the future.

I do understand your point about not actually having met someone until you have been face to face with them in the real world.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:41 AM

117 posts, read 129,818 times
Quote:
On the flip, I've been ghosted (too many times to count) after asking about meeting too early, without discussing each other's interests in more detail.

I guess as I approach my mid-40's I've become jaded in regards to interests - I just don't see them as important as they used to be.

in my mind today, its all about the chemistry in person. we can talk about interests until we're blue in the face, it won't change the fact of whether there's a shared chemistry or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships