Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 AM

36,633 posts, read 30,953,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Everyone should re-read this post, but change every male noun and pronoun to female and vice versa, especially the last sentence.

Feminism has created a species who three years earlier when she was making $8.00 an hour would have happily glommed on to a guy who made much more money, in fact would have demanded it, but now that she makes a lot more than average, people at the level she was at just a few years ago are not worthy.

No wonder the rate of marriage is dropping like a rock.
I pretty much agree except for the part about demanding. But I don't see it as a bad thing because women have higher expectations. Perhaps we have seen men's mistakes in this and listened years to the resentment, bitterness and woe is me for supporting a non working or low wage partner for years. Seems perhaps a lot of women have learned from men's mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I said a woman's career choice was about as sexy as a man's baseball card collection.

In other words: Not sexy.

And when we're talking about the mating choices of high-earning, ambitious, motivated men in DC, I'd wager that sexy is a high priority.

If you think this is about baseball cards, then is is safe to say you've missed the point.
I know what you said. men, for the most part,don't care how much work a woman has invested in her career. it is about as sexy as a man who has invested a lot of work in his
baseball card collection.

In other words: a woman's career achievements = man's baseball card collection

I imagine you are right about DC men's priority, I'm not disputing that.
and no I don't think it is about baseball cards.

My point is the OP should have no apologies for rejecting men who trivialize her achievements while they take advantage of hers because they don't have the motivation to achieve.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

I won't apologize for wanting an actual partner. So I'm back to my original
post. For females. Are you or have you experienced this issue with men over 30?
And if so, please share your stories.

This is not about income levels.
It's about life choices that have created the adult male's need for a female who
provides him with the stability that he refused to provide for himself.
I get where you are coming from. My ex went from job to job to job with increasing amounts of time drawing unemployment during our almost 10 yr. marriage. We both have a college education and his degree even allows for more job opportunities and better pay yet he would quit at the slightest thing because he knew I would stay at my job and make sure the bills were paid while he did whatever the what he did. Now that we divorced, he buckled down and has a good job that he sticks with because he doesn't have anyone to provide the lifestyle should he get pissed at his boss and up and quit.

My ex bf managed to weasel his way into my home. Quit his job, drew unemployment for a year while he basically did nothing knowing he had a rent free home, free meals, etc.

I think I have learned my lesson. Stick to your guns you will eventually find someone suitable. If not, oh well, it beats being a mommy to a grown man.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM

896 posts, read 1,178,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I know what you said. men, for the most part,don't care how much work a woman has invested in her career. it is about as sexy as a man who has invested a lot of work in his
baseball card collection.

In other words: a woman's career achievements = man's baseball card collection

I imagine you are right about DC men's priority, I'm not disputing that.
and no I don't think it is about baseball cards.

My point is the OP should have no apologies for rejecting men who trivialize her achievements while they take advantage of hers because they don't have the motivation to achieve.
When did she say the men she dates trivialize her achievements? Did I miss that?

Old 09-05-2013, 04:46 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,604,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
When did she say the men she dates trivialize her achievements? Did I miss that?
She didn't. It somehow devolved into the usual tripe about how men are pigs and don't give women the respect they obviously deserve because they make money and have careers like men do. Utter nonsense of course. She's fallen into the "almost nobody is good enough for me because I do moderately well, so dammit there aren't enough rich handsome bachelors to satisfy my innately female hypergamous instincts!"

It's a problem that emanates from within women themselves. They set the bar high and then get mad when there aren't enough desirable men above them on the food chain to go around. Cry it like it hurts.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM

832 posts, read 1,419,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Everyone should re-read this post, but change every male noun and pronoun to female and vice versa, especially the last sentence.

Feminism has created a species who three years earlier when she was making $8.00 an hour would have happily glommed on to a guy who made much more money, in fact would have demanded it, but now that she makes a lot more than average, people at the level she was at just a few years ago are not worthy.

No wonder the rate of marriage is dropping like a rock.
Every woman is looking for a man who can't mow the lawn or change the oil or take out the garbage or do dishes or go bowling because he might break his guitar pick nail. Every woman is looking for a guy who has 4 other roommates who listen in on their other roommates having sex. Every woman wants a guy who despite making nearly double than herself, is always in financial need and asking to use her car. Every woman wants a man who's feet stink so badly they make the next door neighbor's eyes water and his bed sheets feel like a trip to the beach.

YES!!!

THAT'S IT!!!!!!

I NEED TO ACCEPT ANY MAN WHO WANTS TO PRESENT HIS PENIS TO ME!!!!!

Oh.

Mah.

Gawd.

You are just sooooooo brilliant man. I don't know why I didn't see this before. But the way you put it.... You should write a book for women on how to get quality men.

No really.

You should.

And the title would be: All women need to accept any man who wiggles his crusty winky.

Hey... here's a thought. Maybe you wouldn't be paying so much in alimony if you had just let the woman have a can opener.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
You are a woman, correct? Let's let men say what they want, instead of you telling them and everyone else what they want. I expect the same treatment for myself from those who aren't of my demographic.

"Makes no difference" to you may be true, but how about you let guys speak for themselves on this?
Makes no difference because the data is what it is and I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I'm reporting trends to be found in census. Why in the world does rhis bother you? And yes, I am a woman and I happen to be married and fall within the stats reported in census just as my colleagues, friends, and family. Not a big surprise.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,770,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Every woman is looking for a man who can't mow the lawn or change the oil or take out the garbage or do dishes or go bowling because he might break his guitar pick nail. Every woman is looking for a guy who has 4 other roommates who listen in on their other roommates having sex. Every woman wants a guy who despite making nearly double than herself, is always in financial need and asking to use her car. Every woman wants a man who's feet stink so badly they make the next door neighbor's eyes water and his bed sheets feel like a trip to the beach.

YES!!!

THAT'S IT!!!!!!

Oh.

Mah.

Gawd.

You are just sooooooo brilliant man. I don't know why I didn't see this before. But the way you put it.... You should write a book for women on how to get quality men.

No really.

You should.

And the title would be: All women need to accept any man who wiggles his crusty winky.

Hey... here's a thought. Maybe you wouldn't be paying so much in alimony if you had just let the woman have a can opener.
i've gotta say, this is one of the more theatrical non-sequiturs i've seen

Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 PM

599 posts, read 954,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post

YES!!!

THAT'S IT!!!!!!

Oh.

Mah.

Gawd.

No really.

You should.

Stay tuned for the post from the OP in twelve years when her biological clock is ticking, about how she can't seem to find *ANY* guys who will marry her so she can have a child, despite her lowering her standards to where she will "accept any man who wiggles his crusty winky."

I've seen those posts on this board, and I've known several women who ended up there.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM

89 posts, read 131,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
And not just for dating... for every social situation. You could be at a backyard BBQ, meet up with friends of a friend at ball game, whatever. It's usually the second question after, "what's your name." I really think people can't get it unless they live in this area. And when people move to this area, it's a bit of a culture shock how career focused so many people are. On dates, I've had men hand me their business cards.

I find the dating scene in the DC area rough. As I mentioned before, there are more single women than single men and I think most single women know this. I am not sure where this concept of DC women, "waiting for men to beat a path to your door" comes from. Logic would dictate it would be the other way around since there are less single men and they are the ones in demand.

Personally, I am expanding out of the area. I am in the NoVa side of things and I am thinking about looking as far away as Richmond. I am also looking at the Eastern Shore since that's where most of my family is and old friends (the old, ask a friend if they know anyone looking). If you don't have those kind of connections, maybe just expand online dating to zip codes out of the immediate metro area.
Men are never really in demand though.

Even if there are more single women than single men in an area, how many of those single women actually want a man? I'd say only a small minority do.

Meanwhile most single men do want a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships