Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,077,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
WHAAAAAAAT, you change oil? Hey. Want to go for a latte?

Just kidding. When I need an oil change, I don't date a guy. I go pay for my oil change.

Just like guys who want sex in exchange for payment shouldn't date women. They should go pay for it.
I think it has more to do with knowing a guy is pretty self sufficient. I always hear complaints about guys in LA being less hands on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 PM

808 posts, read 1,888,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to LA View Post
Hi
I moved to LA a few years back from a different country to go to Med school. It was hard to get in but worth the effort. I have a busy schedule and its hard to meet new people.

I have dated a few girls now. The problem is that there have been more than a few occasions now where I think it would be worth investing time dating this girl. Somehow, the woman loses interest or is not attracted anymore or feels we have different interests.

I have had no problems getting a first date. We usually meet over coffee and end up getting dinner and have a good conversation. I pay the bill as I think its the right thing to do for a guy. Most dates have ended well with a passionate kiss or a not so passionate kiss. I don't know whats goes wrong after that? Is that I'm being too nice.
I usually text or call the day after the first date and there is no response. Here is the reply I get a few days after:
"It was really nice meeting you. I think you are handsome, nice and intelligent but unfortunately we are on different pages right now."

Is it lack of physical attraction? Should I ask to split the bill, is me paying the bill being too nice ? Is it that our interests, goals don't match?

I'm posting this here as I think hearing from men/women who've been living in LA would help. Frank opinions will be appreciated. Have a nice weekend!
She probably wouldn't have even said yes to the first date if you were ugly, so it's probably more like you were too boring. Med school students aren't exactly known for living the most interesting lives.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM

10,672 posts, read 6,157,525 times
Always heard that L.A. is the worst city for dating.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,614,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think it has more to do with knowing a guy is pretty self sufficient. I always hear complaints about guys in LA being less hands on.
Could be , but I've never heard this .

I guess if you come from a smaller town you might be more hands on , but if from another large city their hands on skills will prob be the same .

I think in reality this is pretty low on the list .

Reminds me of this portlandia episode where the women go all gaga over the guy that makes furniture .

Subaru in Portlandia: He's Making Furniture - YouTube

Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
She probably wouldn't have even said yes to the first date if you were ugly, so it's probably more like you were too boring. Med school students aren't exactly known for living the most interesting lives.
What students are known for living interesting lives ? Not too cool to stereotype an entire group of people .

Old 09-05-2013, 08:09 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,693,357 times
While maybe not interesting, I can assure you that an art history co-ed at OSU will be a lot more "fun" to hang out with than a 3rd year at USC/Keck.

If I weren't already dating my gf for 2 years before she started med school I wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole. She is ALWAYS studying, has a terrible work schedule, and might go 2-3 weeks without a day off during certain rotations.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,744,812 times
Quote:
"It was really nice meeting you. I think you are handsome, nice and intelligent but unfortunately we are on different pages right now."
Sooo, no "Sensitive, warm, funny, caring, or witty?" Has anyone ever said, "I love your smile," "I feel so comfortable and relaxed being with you," or "You really make me laugh?"

I don't know, OP, but are you connecting emotionally with them? It doesn't sound like there is any chemistry.

Last edited by pacific2; 09-05-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,739,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Always heard that L.A. is the worst city for dating.
If you're a heterosexual man, it is.

If you're a woman or a gay man, it's a whole different story. There's probably no city in the world that's better for a gay man.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM

I'm not looking now , but there are a bunch of "flirting apps" out there now .

Check out Skout or meet me . You can find people nearby and chat online . Free too

I would try to build some kind of rapport so that you have a better chance of knowing if she is interested before meeting in person .

Dating also seems to be a numbers game anywhere ..

" you gotta kiss a lot of frogs " and all that .

You might even be able to cut out all the traditional dating stuff and have them meet you at your place ... I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time that's happened .

Seems like lots of bored girls on there looking for fun ..

Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 PM

808 posts, read 1,888,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What students are known for living interesting lives ? Not too cool to stereotype an entire group of people .
Being a certain major doesn't automatically make someone interesting, but you need free time to pursue fun and interesting hobbies. It's not a stereotype to say that med students have much less free time than most other students. Telling a woman you spent all last night memorizing the JNC 7 guidelines for treating hypertension simply isn't going to get her aroused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships