Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times

Advertisements

The problem is that everyone's interpretation of what thin, average, or athletic looks like is going to be different. My definition of thin for a woman is 5-5 110lbs with not a lot of muscle, but I've gone out with women that put thin on their profile that I would not consider thin or athletic by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
If you like thin women, you like thin women. I don't see any problem with looking for such. But I am going to go with what others said in that you are relying on other people's interpretation of thin. Some women you think are thin, might not see themselves as such (I have girlfriends like this... drives me nuts, lol). And others who think they are thin, might not be what you think of as thin.

I would say a better approach might be to list some of the activities that lead to being the type of thin you like. So for example, if by thin you like "runners bodies" list that you like runners and marathon women, etc. Basically it's a start and a way to help filter. In the long run, you are just going to have to pick for yourself though from the women that answer you.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
The problem is that everyone's interpretation of what thin, average, or athletic looks like is going to be different. My definition of thin for a woman is 5-5 110lbs with not a lot of muscle, but I've gone out with women that put thin on their profile that I would not consider thin or athletic by any means.
I find it fascinating when men define thinness as a height/weight ratio.

I'm 5'4", but at 110, I am approaching skeletal. It's just how I carry weight, I guess. At 110, I'm a size 2, with maybe a size 4 pants, due solely to my bony hips that protrude, that are big at the waist. I do not personally find this to be a good look. I have a long, oval face, and this makes my face look gaunt.

I am, however, a lovely size 4-6 at 130-135 lbs. No kidding. Funny how that works, but I do have a large chest.

Some guys probably consider a large chest not "thin" either, while others would like a popsicle stick with huge boobs.

Me? I like me anywhere from 135-155. I wear a solid 8, can still fit into my size 6 skirts, and might wind up in a 10 in a dress if the chest is too tight.

This works for me.

But, it is what one might call "average".

Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
I've never tried to define the thin/average thing too specifically in an online dating profile - that's usually counterproductive. There's huge variation from very slender to somewhat thick that I find attractive, but it depends on the individual, not any generic definition. As long as she has a discernible waist - that seems to be a requirement for me to be attracted. Anyway, I'd just decide based on someone's pictures or upon meeting if the physical attraction is there.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ How is that shallow, when it's OK for women to want a tall, slim, handsome guy with a good job and no baggage ?
Those exist?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
He can date women like that regardless of his body type. He may have a hard time finding someone who is compatible but he is allowed to have preferences. Heck, I'm short but I prefer tall men. I don't need to be tall to have that preference.
People can date who they want, but most thin women don't want fat men. Yet profile after profile from fat men will often state "no fatties". I got a lot of messages from obese men complaining about the fat women because they were delusional.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
I won't date any guy who's not "athletic" build.

Personal preference, who cares. I don't go around telling the others that, I just politely decline.

If you want a skinny Minnie you'll get one. Probably with hipbones that jut out and clavicles you can climb up.

Each to their own.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Thin people in their 30s would probably be harder to find, simply due to genetics. Your best bet might be to find someone like an asian or something like that. As people age, the naturally get bigger and so the ones who go to the gym are going to stay thin, but they'll also be athletic. The ones who were thin when they were younger will eventually get fat if they don't go to the gym.

There are the rare thin ones who keep their body like that without going to the gym, but it is rare in my opinion.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I find it fascinating when men define thinness as a height/weight ratio.

I'm 5'4", but at 110, I am approaching skeletal. It's just how I carry weight, I guess. At 110, I'm a size 2, with maybe a size 4 pants, due solely to my bony hips that protrude, that are big at the waist. I do not personally find this to be a good look. I have a long, oval face, and this makes my face look gaunt.

I am, however, a lovely size 4-6 at 130-135 lbs. No kidding. Funny how that works, but I do have a large chest.

Some guys probably consider a large chest not "thin" either, while others would like a popsicle stick with huge boobs.

Me? I like me anywhere from 135-155. I wear a solid 8, can still fit into my size 6 skirts, and might wind up in a 10 in a dress if the chest is too tight.

This works for me.

But, it is what one might call "average".
And the taller one gets, the more difficult it can be to just look at someone and guess their weight correctly. At my heaviest (230 lbs) I was a loose size 16 and one of my coworkers guessed my weight at around 160 lbs. I also sent a picture of myself to a poster here on CD of me at my heaviest weight and he guessed I was around 150 lbs or so....not even close. At 150 lbs my hip bones jut out and you can count my ribs.

I've lost weight since then but still have around 30 lbs to go...and those will be gone by the time winter is over. I'll never be considered 'thin' because I'm too tall and too broad for that regardless of weight.

As for the OP, I think it's fine that you specify preferences, but even if I was thin I would never message a guy who specifically desired thin women. It just shows you put a lot of emphasis on what a woman looks like and if I were to gain weight due to medical issues or injury there is a larger chance that you'd leave me. So...no thanks.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As for the OP, I think it's fine that you specify preferences, but even if I was thin I would never message a guy who specifically desired thin women. It just shows you put a lot of emphasis on what a woman looks like and if I were to gain weight due to medical issues or injury there is a larger chance that you'd leave me. So...no thanks.
We shouldn't underestimate the power of body image issues in a lot of women. If the OP specifically requests a thin women, many women who may be considered to be thin will rule themselves out. No matter what the scale says, and even if she's got a good attitude about herself, many women would have a hard time thinking of themselves as thin because they're inwardly thinking about their thighs or the love handles that just won't budge or that they don't look like Gwyneth Paltrow in a bikini, etc. In the same way, many women would never describe themselves as beautiful.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-09-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships