Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Okcupid?
It's for dating and FWB 2 25.00%
It's for dating and finding platonic friends 2 25.00%
Other - please explain 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i voted dating and FWB. sure there are probably a few people who actually just want friends, but i think most people who say they are looking for "friends" on that site are full of it

meetup.com or something like that is what you join if you want actual friends with no dating or sex involved
Yeah, I think looking for 'friends' just means looking for casual hookups but are too embarrassed to come out and say it, or don't want to be thought of as easy.

I'm sure plenty of people have used it to find friends successfully, but I'd say from my experience the vast majority of people on there are just looking for hook ups or casual sex, and a relationship if the stars aligned perfectly.

I did meet the guy I'm dating on OkCupid however, but that doesn't change my past experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
As noted on this thread there are options but in my close to 6 months actively looking (deleted profile about 2 years ago) I found it to be more of a dating site where women are looking for a monogamous relationship.

Thus I voted "other."

Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm sure plenty of people have used it to find friends successfully
i think sometimes probably the dating part doesn't work out due to lack of attraction but two people stay friends

but to me that's not using the site for friends, it's just life... because otherwise anything could be a mechanism to "find friends"

why look for "friends only" on a site where almost everyone is looking to hook up or have romance?

i used to (gently) call gals out on it while on OKC dates, if their profiles included "friends" in "looking for". every single one laughed and agreed it was just for appearances sake (kind of like you said)

Old 09-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
i think sometimes probably the dating part doesn't work out due to lack of attraction but two people stay friends

but to me that's not using the site for friends, it's just life...

but why look for "friends only" on a site where almost everyone is looking to hook up or have romance?
I don't believe I've ever stayed friends with someone who I met through OKcupid, even though I got along with plenty of them. Once they figure out I'm not into a 'casual' relationship they usually bail pretty quickly, and I've found most guys don't really want a friend whose a girl that they're not have sex with.

I consider myself pretty lucky that I found the guy I'm seeing...but it was also after 4 years of failed dates so it took some time and energy.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't believe I've ever stayed friends with someone who I met through OKcupid, even though I got along with plenty of them
oh me neither. i did hear some people talk about it though, so i figure it happens sometimes

but i've never heard someone talk about successfully meeting a friend through OKC that didn't at least start start as looking for more

99/100 isn't just dating and sex so this is all pretty moot anyway i think

side note, congrats on the fella

Old 09-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
oh me neither. i did hear some people talk about it though, so i figure it happens sometimes

but i've never heard someone talk about successfully meeting a friend through OKC that didn't at least start start as looking for more

99/100 isn't just dating and sex so this is all pretty moot anyway i think

side note, congrats on the fella
I just assumed all guys on there are looking for hookups regardless of what they say until proven otherwise. But, I also think that's true in general, offline or online. Most guys are more than happy with a hookup until they meet a woman they really want to be with...you just never know if you're that woman or not.

And thank you It's going quite well so far.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I had a profile on there and the majority of the men claimed to either be looking for friends or relationships but most want sex only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships