Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:22 PM

810 posts, read 1,807,831 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, a female friend of mine texted me saying that she likes me. I am flattered and all, but the thing is, I am not really attracted to her. She is nice, and pretty smart, but there is one factor that despite me trying to overlook I can't, and I really hope I don't offend anyone's feelings.

She's heavy. I don't mean a couple of pounds overweight or having a bit of a belly, she is heavy. As I have written in previous posts, fitness is a huge part of my life, and I am usually attracted to athletic women with muscle, even powerlifters or bodybuilders. I know how she probably feels about her weights, because I myself used to be fat. For most of my childhood I was heavy and ate very poorly and also never exercised. When I got to high school, I made it a point to get in shape. I ended up playing three sports, lost a significant amount of weight and later on gained a lot of muscle. Because of this, I find myself sympathetic towards her, but not attracted to her.

The other thing is that she does have a gym membership, and this is just my observation and I could be wrong, but I don't think she takes working out too seriously. She might be a woman who needs a little guidance working out, but we go to different gyms from different franchises, since we live in different areas in Vegas (I in Spring Valley, her in Henderson.)

I feel terrible, but I can't picture myself getting intimate with her. How should I go about this? Should I turn her down outright and tell her exactly why I am not attracted to her? Should I hint to her by telling her that I like athletic women and powerlifters or bodybuilders? Should I start dating her and encourage her to train harder? I have seen a couple stories of women who were heavy dating bodybuilders and eventually becoming one and even competing together. Maybe that's something that can happen to us, but it doesn't seem like she wants it badly enough.

I am terribly sorry if I offended anyone with this post. I know that weight is a delicate issue and I know people out there struggle with it, as I have earlier in my life. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
I think it shows that you are at least a decent guy that you feel bad about it.

Female 'friends' have rejected me in such situations without even giving me so much as a second thought. Of that I'm sure.

It's a very unique animal which can date someone they are physically unattracted to, so don't feel bad. I'd say 97% of people would not date someone they had no physical attraction to, no matter what that person's personality was like.

Tell her you want to stay friends...

Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
Take the weight out of the equation because that really makes her no different from another female friend you aren't interested in. Reply to her like you would anyone else you weren't interested in.

1,168 posts, read 2,503,285 times
You sound lovely. No wonder she likes you.

You should tell her, face to face, that you like her as a friend, maybe in the future you may feel differently, but at the moment you just want to be friends. Tell her you are flattered that she likes you, be gentle to her and let her know how much you appreciate her, that she is a good person, kind....but that you have always seen her just as a friend. Apologise, tell her not to be embarassed that she told you how she felt, then hopefully, she will be OK.

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Ehh its normal man, but do NOT BY ANY MEANS tell her she's too heavy. That is way wrong. Have some respect for the poor girl, think about it, if you were rejected how would you want to be turned down? Do it nicely, there's no need to twist the sword....

Why can't you just tell her that you are not looking for a relationship at the moment and you enjoy spending time with her but you are focusing on other things for the moment.

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times
oh please. you probably already told her she was too fat for your liking & you're looking to turn it into a joke in this thread.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 04-01-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Ehh its normal man, but do NOT BY ANY MEANS tell her she's too heavy. That is way wrong. Have some respect for the poor girl, think about it, if you were rejected how would you want to be turned down? Do it nicely, there's no need to twist the sword....

Why can't you just tell her that you are not looking for a relationship at the moment and you enjoy spending time with her but you are focusing on other things for the moment.

^^ This bolded part I would not do, only because I think it gives her hope. She may think okay, he's just busy right now, but I still have a shot. Then 3 weeks later, if he meets a woman he is attracted to and starts going on dates with HER.. yeah you get the point. Arkward. LOL

OP, I give you credit also because you sound like a decent guy. I too see why she likes you if this is any indication of your thoughtfulness and personality. However, you have the right to be attracted to what you like. Plus, dating her with the thought of trying to change her may not work, or be met with resentment.

I would just gently tell her you dont see her in that manner, and that you enjoy her as a friend. Something of that sort.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,549 times
you cant get into a relationship with someone expecting them to change later. reject her. dont tell her why. she already knows...no need to rub it in. then maybe she'll feel crappy about herself and get more motivated to lose weight lol

Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM

819 posts, read 1,129,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
How should I go about this? Should I turn her down outright and tell her exactly why I am not attracted to her? Should I hint to her by telling her that I like athletic women and powerlifters or bodybuilders? Should I start dating her and encourage her to train harder?
How about you tell her, "Not interested." If the situation were reversed, I have no doubt she would give you a lengthy explanation about why she wouldn't go out with you blah blah blah but it'd just be a way to let you down easy. You're not obligated to accept the advances of a woman; you're allowed to have standards. Don't mention ANY of the crap about weight, working out, etc. That's just asking for severe hate.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,163 times
You have no obligation to force yourself to be attracted to what you genuinely aren't. Try to tell her that you're interested in other women. The "just friends" gig doesn't usually work because it's not true, and the "I'm not attracted to YOU" is hurtful, but if she knows from you that you're "into other women" - and you don't need to specify which women, by name, height, age, weight, race, career, etc. - then she'll fade away in time. Just remember to also specify: "I'm not interested in any relationship with you." It's important that an attracted woman knows exactly these words so that she doesn't feel led on in any way and knows clearly that you have no intention to accept her pursuits with you in any way, shape, form, or fashion. It sounds harsh now, but the simple truth is much better than some bull**** about being friends or keeping this charade going because you don't want to seem like a jerk. It saves a lot of heartbreak, time and energy in the long run this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships