Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,807,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
you purposefully chose not to make sure she knew you were serious
no, i make sure she knows

i just don't make it a point to convince her to leave "for her own good," like y'all seem to think i ought to do. i don't "run her off." i will still do nice things for her, take her out, etc., and generally take care of the variety of short-term needs that people in relationships often take care of.

and i don't scheme these things out, fwiw. i'm more of describing past patterns of behavior, more than anything else. this is more of an autopsy than a blueprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,220,186 times
Most people would be surprised at the number of men who have never had a FWB. Women use it way more

I would say 65-80% of women under 30 years old have had a FWB and maybe 15-30 percent of men have had one in that same age range.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,720,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
why women choose to keep have sex knowing that i've specifically not committed to them is not really clear to me, so i can't assign it a moral value. i just know it's something i enjoy, so i'm not going to screw it up by pretending it is my responsibility to talk them out of having sex with me.
It might be because they enjoy sex and don't see you (not to imply there is anything wrong with you, but for whatever reason) as potential marriage material. Maybe they just have no interest in getting married anytime soon, or ever.

This has been going on for ages; and with financial independence, less pressure to marry early, and advances in birth control, they may feel freer to act upon their very natural sexual impulses without fears of being stuck with someone they would rather not stay with.

There's a recent NY Times article on this:
Sex on Campus: She Can Play That Game, Too
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/14/fa...anted=all&_r=0

Slate takes the Times to task and writes how this is really nothing new:
The New York Times hookup culture story: old news - Slate Magazine

"The underlying taboo here is no longer young women having sex, which the culture at large has come to terms with, but young women actively, consciously, seeking out sex without love; it is the cool, calculating search for sexual encounters, without even a secret hope or desire for emotional entanglement which still shocks."

Last edited by pacific2; 09-13-2013 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,290,286 times
I don't understand the concept of having sex with a person with whom you have no real emotional connection.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,963,325 times
Empty meaningless sex with people that you're just using to get your "needs" met? Pretty sad in my book. I feel sorry for the younger generation. I don't understand how sex could be much good if you don't have a loving relationship with them.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:17 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,500,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Empty meaningless sex with people that you're just using to get your "needs" met? Pretty sad in my book. I feel sorry for the younger generation. I don't understand how sex could be much good if you don't have a loving relationship with them.
FWB often is a loving relationship, just not a romantic, "in love" relationship.

I don't really disagree with you if you're talking about a ONS, for instance, but even then both parties get what they want out of it, and as adults can choose to do so. Love is not a requirement for good sex, but political correctness seems to dictate that it must be paid lip service.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,410,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't understand the concept of having sex with a person with whom you have no real emotional connection.
I don't either, but it sure feels darn GOOD!!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You must be a female, most women can't seem to understand that a man doensn't need to be "in love" or even find a woman attractive to just sleep with her.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,174,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I don't either, but it sure feels darn GOOD!!!!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,290,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You must be a female, most women can't seem to understand that a man doensn't need to be "in love" or even find a woman attractive to just sleep with her.
Actually, I'm a guy, one with a 450-hp libido, one who has been around the block a few times. But only an idiot goes around and sleeps with just anybody. Because there is no such thing as no-strings sex. It's an illusion that is accepted by really stupid people who think with their little heads. After a couple of rolls in the hay, someone always gets emotionally attached. Sure, they might claim that it's no big deal, but it always happens. And, no matter what anyone says, there's no such thing as 100% effective birth control.

As somebody who has two male family members and several friends whose lives were completely, utterly derailed by some one-night stand ringing them up and saying, "Well, I'm pregnant," I can tell you the consequences are not worth it. I mean, hey, if scribbling out twenty-two years of child support checks to a woman you barely knew is your idea of fun, then go for it. That way, you'll serve as a warning to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships