Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,995,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
Right I know that was the case,but those people were fat bc they are too much.
Just don't be with the lady. Don't waste time on each other. Prevent the sadness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,160,179 times
If you find her attractive & she is able to function at her weight, then she is not "too fat" for you. It seems it's more that she is "too fat" for the cultural ideal & you're allowing yourself to be shamed out of pursuing a relationship with someone who could make you very happy.

I say this as a thin woman, by the way.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,818,876 times
To the OP: Well, she can lose some weight in the future, so yeah.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:51 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,665,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Look, when women only care about money, men don't hesitate for one second to call them "gold diggers." If all cares about is looks, if looks trump any and all other considerations, why should be be surprised a lot of people call him "shallow?"
I have given you all my available reps for now. I always agree with you.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,067,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
additionally sure you can go to mcdonalds and see skinny people. but those people arent eating fast food every day and not excersizing.
This is an assumption in keeping with the kind of bias I'm talking about. "If a fat person is at a fast food joint, they probably eat it every day and don't exercise. If a skinny person is in there, there's no way they could eat it regularly and they totally exercise. That has to be true because if we accept that it might not be, we'd have to accept that we're wrong for viewing fat people negatively without knowing anything about them..."

I've known one of my best friends for 13 years. She's never been a pound over 115 in that time though usually hovered around 113 and I've never seen someone with a worse diet in my life. She doesn't cook because she doesn't want to and doesn't care to learn how so she eats out daily. Her places of choice are whatever's nearby and cheap so it's almost always McD's with the occasional Shake Shack or Chinese Buffet.

She's obsessed with chips and cookies to the point where that's often what she'll have as a meal if not before and after a meal. She loves soda, not a big fan of water, not really into fruit, doesn't mind veggies if they're covered in some kind of sauce.

In the 13 years I've known her, she worked out a whopping total of two to three months during a time when she was going to a school that had a nice gym she could use. She wasn't into any physical activities, didn't play any sports (though she'd go watch them).

Hates hot or humid weather so she doesn't want to do anything outdoorsy in the spring and summer and hates being cold so she wants to stay inside in the winter and fall. I told her once that if she ever had tests run, I'd be very curious to see what the results were because I'm surprised she hasn't dropped dead yet lol

People who don't know her as well as I do always ask what she does to stay so thin, what her diet is, what kind of exercises she does, and we just laugh to ourselves. She's mid-30s right now and up to this point, it appears she can eat whatever she wants and lay around without getting fat and there are a lot of people just like her. I know, I know, exceptions don't make the rule but when the exceptions can number in the thousands to millions, they're not exactly irrelevant either.

I knew quite a few in high school, male and female, and I've known plenty throughout my life apart from her. Some of the ones I've met were really self-conscious about always being called things like "stick figure" or "bony" and were just as depressed about it as a lot of overweight people are about being fat so they actively tried to gain weight but couldn't.

The rest would just say matter-of-factly "I don't gain weight" whenever someone asked how they stay thin. It's something I've encountered enough to the point where it's actually more common to me than thin people who are thin because they exercise and eat right.

Anyway, recently, my friend broke the 115lb ceiling and hit 117lbs. Now, in her mind, she's a fat pig and has to do something about her weight because she's so disgusting. Skewed body image aside, I don't object because she's finally starting to take her health seriously. Not enough small people do in terms of diet and activity. It seems the only thing that gets people to even think about whether they're healthy or not is weight gain and it's a shame.

Like I always say to those stuck on this "thin people are automatically healthier and live better" mentality, neither the hospital nor the morgue are filled only with fat bodies so as important as it is for society to keep pushing the issue that being overweight can lead to complications, we should also push that not being overweight doesn't mean you're in the clear.

People grossly overestimate how healthy thin people really are in their diets and lifestyle just because they're thin. We're conditioned to think that way and it's kind of obnoxious when thinking so highly of one group results in thinking so negatively and critically about another.

If you want to assume that Mr. and Mrs. Slim must be that way because they don't pig out on crud every day and are physically active, more power to you, but can we manage to do that without looking down on Mr. and Mrs. Plump?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,241,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
pssst... some men need an excuse for their lack of success with women. Placing the blame on something external and out of their control, makes it easier for them to live a lie. Oh, im only 5'7 and cant afford the newest mercedes, that must be why women avoid me like a plague. right....
Better they hear it from a man, I suppose. Heaven forbid a woman talks about what women want around here.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,733,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizenregulation View Post
Have you ever met a woman who had everything, but was too fat?

She had a good job, a pleasant manner, etc., but had too much weight.

Is it "shallow" to consider this "bad" not to date her?
I guess the question you have to ask yourself is are there an abundance of good people, with good hearts out there and if you miss one, will another one come along?

Its probably easier for someone to lose weight than it is for someone with a bad heart to acquire a good one.

Also, a lot of the shunning overweight people has to do with societal pressures too, if you want to get to know someone better who is overweight and you choose not to, it just means you're letting society tell you how to live your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships