Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 10:32 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times

Advertisements

How do men feel about their women having male friends, and how do women feel about their men having female friends?

I think if I had a gf, out of respect for me, she would not hang out with any male friends unless they are either gay, or family members. And if she does have straight male friends through work, school, etc I wouldn't want her to hang out with them unless I was there

The same rule would apply to me. I would not have any female friends other than relatives and the ones I do have, my gf would come with me.

How do you guys feel about your SO having opposite sex friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,623,287 times
Most of my friends are male and I have hung out with them without my boyfriend before. I rarely just hang out with one of them alone - it's more like a group. My boyfriend has no problems with me having male friends because he trusts me. I am a jealous person but I feel it's only fair to allow my boyfriend the same courtesy he gives me. We just moved so we don't have friends where we are now but if he made female friends, yes I'd allow him to get coffee with them or something.

Now if he had some weird romantic history with one of those friends, I may feel differently. And if one of those friends was an ex-girlfriend...no way. But I don't think it is fair for me to think that ANY woman he spends time with would seduce him. In fact, I find it demeaning to think he cannot control himself.

Of course I am speaking theoretically about all of this...my bf doesn't have straight female friends outside of family, haha.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:56 AM

523 posts, read 840,477 times
I have male friends and my SO has female friends. What's the big deal? If you don't have trust, you have nothing.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
How do men feel about their women having male friends, and how do women feel about their men having female friends?

I think if I had a gf, out of respect for me, she would not hang out with any male friends unless they are either gay, or family members. And if she does have straight male friends through work, school, etc I wouldn't want her to hang out with them unless I was there

The same rule would apply to me. I would not have any female friends other than relatives and the ones I do have, my gf would come with me.

That is an impossible and unreasonable standard, and signals to your GF that you are both controlling and terribly insecure. It makes you look weak, like you don't think you are man enough to keep your GF if you have to compete for her with other guys.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Don't care.

I don't pick my wife's friends.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Doesn't matter to me a bit. We both have friends of opposite genders, and it has never caused problems.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I have male friends and my SO has female friends. What's the big deal? If you don't have trust, you have nothing.
^^^ This.

Also, we don't own or control each other. We may make agreements or promises to behave within certain boundaries, and expect each other to abide by those unless renegotiated. If we don't, there are consequences.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,993,691 times
I trusted my ex around her guy friends. They only hung out in groups. Turns out she ended up seeing one of them on the side after she met me.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
My wife and I feel secure in our relationship and ourselves. As such we do not have or place expectations on who we can keep as friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 35,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

I am a male. Women often have truly "platonic" male friends. They have male buddies who they consider "pals" or "best guy friend," so many women don't see any problem with having male friends. From my perspective, the opposite is rarely true. If a guy wants to consistently hang out ALONE with a girl, he is usually attracted to her as more than a friend, even if he won't admit it to himself or others. I know there are always rare exceptions, but it is rare that a guy will be interested enough in a girl to consistently hang out with her alone, yet have zero attraction to her.

I don't have any problem with guys and girls hanging out in a group, but I just don't see any reason for someone in a committed relationship to ever hang out one on one with someone of the opposite sex.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships