Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,017,576 times

Advertisements

Too many variables to go one size fits all. On the other hand for most people this will be a constant source of friction and a constant source of friction of any kind is problematic over the long haul.

Personally I'm a carnivore and the only other food group that I actually enjoy is booze. This is of course discounting chocolate which I think can safely be considered a neutral food group for this discussion. Anyhow so long as I get charred animal flesh with every meal and no grief over it what she eats is not a concern for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 AM

809 posts, read 1,276,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Nope! Vegan men are too feminized thanks to all the soy they consume. And most meat subs are agricultural waste. And finally I have never met a vegan who wasn't irritating. Even the ones who claim don't preach end being annoying too.
This kind of arrogant stuff about vegans is spouted off generally by the teabillies. It's their defence mechanism against men who care about things other than muscle cars and george foreman grills.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,393,337 times
I heard women who don't eat meat sure loves the bone

Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,699,102 times
Probably not. I like cavemen.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,120,687 times
I would probably not date one. In my experience, they are often quite smug regarding their choice and can be critical of those who eat meat or whatever else they don't approve of. I don't really have the patience to deal with that. Vegetarians/vegans usually have very different political views than I do, and look at life differently, so we're not compatible anyway.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:21 AM

11,408 posts, read 24,508,673 times
If I were single, I might date a vegan, with low expectations. Depends on our chemistry. Even the most sensible-seeming people become preachy once they become vegan.

It's not that I don't agree with them in principle, I just don't think it would be easy or physically comfortable to maintain that diet over the long haul. Plus I would feel very sad to give up really good food. I'm sorry, many of those substitutions for eggs, meat, milk, and cheese are not very tasty and are suspiciously over-processed.

And preachiness is a major turnoff.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM

5,988 posts, read 10,492,698 times
I have and would, as long as she is compatible (and swallow! ). It depends on many things, not just this.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,230,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
If I were single, I might date a vegan, with low expectations. Depends on our chemistry. Even the most sensible-seeming people become preachy once they become vegan.

It's not that I don't agree with them in principle, I just don't think it would be easy or physically comfortable to maintain that diet over the long haul. Plus I would feel very sad to give up really good food. I'm sorry, many of those substitutions for eggs, meat, milk, and cheese are not very tasty and are suspiciously over-processed.

And preachiness is a major turnoff.
Why do you assume they would ask you to?

That's what I don't get about this thread.

Most veggies I know look at it like this: You're an adult. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 20 years, you know where meat comes from, what it consists of, and how it gets to your plate. You know how the animals are treated, you know what they are fed and how they are medicated, and you know the conditions they live in. The information is all around you, from Facebook to the movie theater with movies like Food, Inc. You decide what you want to do about it for yourself, not anyone else.

I'm an atheist. There's a parallel here. I don't like preachiness, myself, and would not tolerate that from someone who is religious. Therefore, I don't preach to others. I also realize that there will always be people who eat meat, just like there will always be people who believe in deities. I once did both, myself.

All I can do is try to ensure that I am not discriminated against in terms of jobs, housing, and so on and that my civil rights are not violated because of my beliefs. With respect to animals, I can support legislation to enforce humane handling, and clean, drug- and hormone-free conditions, not only for the animal's sake, but for humans'.

My friends and family know I don't eat meat. When they host, they remember to include meat-free options at gatherings, which I think is pretty awesome and considerate of them. (And for the question that I know I'm going to get: No, when I host, I do not supply meat. You wouldn't expect a Jew or Muslim to supply ham, a Hindu to supply beef, or, during Lent, a Catholic to supply meat on Fridays, would you? If it's a pot luck or something, and they want to bring it, they can bring it, but I'm not spending money on it or preparing it.)

My friends and family also know that if they have questions or want to learn about a meat-free lifestyle, they can ask me and I'll give them the information they seek: What stores and restaurants cater to veggie-ness, where to get protein and iron in the diet, etc.

I have friends who have celiac disease. My SO can't have milk or soft cheese (lactose intolerance), has two food allergies (including one for which he must carry an Epi-Pen), and hates all seafood except for calimari. I once dated someone who was allergic to most grains and vegetables. I have friends who have type 1 diabetes. In all honesty, their dietary needs are far more complex and convoluted than mine, and they require more accommodation than I do. Something to think about before meat-eaters go off on how "inconvenient" it would be to date a vegetarian. The only real inconvenience to you would be if you expect your partner to cook for you and instead you actually had to cook your meat yourself.

Last edited by Lilac110; 09-30-2013 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: type much?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 AM

52,391 posts, read 52,877,920 times
I think liliac makes some good points and I can deal with people that have her attitude. I just find that the strict vegan types can be a bit over-bearing about their views. Not saying all, but the few that I've known.

I think dealing with someone that is a "veggie" isn't that bad in terms of trying to adhere to their diet choices. I sometimes take a day out of the week and try to not eat any meat, don't always make it, but I try.

It's just strict vegans are much harder to accommodate at food gatherings. Veggies, seem to be much easier. In my humble opinion.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,517,890 times
I don't disrespect vegans, and I don't think that they're weird or anything (though I do think veganism is pretentious, which is different.) I don't know that I'd be happy dating a vegan. I don't eat a lot of meat, but I do like eggs and cheese. I like to cook and try new restaurants, and that wouldn't be something we'd really be able to share. It would even make traveling difficult, as not all cultures understand a completely animal-free lifestyle. Also, soy cheese is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships