Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM

478 posts, read 1,656,786 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been married for almost 24 yrs now, and together for over 25. We love each other VERY much - we are each other's best friend. He has 2 daughters from his first marriage, now 33 and 31 yrs old. We have 2 children from our marriage now 23 and 21 yrs old. His ex-wife used the girls as pawns throughout our life together, and often turn the girls against us. We never stopped trying, we would show up at volleyball games, or school functions, even if the girls would not talk to us. Well all this groveling to be in their lives, has set up a VERY bad relationship now as adults. The girls have never shown respect for me or my husband, they continue to manipulate him/us and use us. We've jumped through hoops for these girls, and gotten little in return. We've paid for their college, and both of their weddings and honeymoons - and at one of the weddings they did not even talk to us - never talked to our son-in-law again after that day, they've since gotten divorced - but 7 yrs of no contact.

We have grandchildren by one of the girls - both girls were married at one time. Now their husbands are disrespectful to us too, and literally treat me like a maid. I've been trying for so long now, 25 years, and I've cried so many tears, fretted so many days, maybe if I said this, or did this, or sent them this... well then they'd like me - but NO. They showed up years for Christmas without gifts for anyone, not even their own children - my husband and I provided all the gifts, same at Easter. Our youngest daughter graduated from High School and not so much as a handmade card - and they aren't even apologetic about it. The one stepdaughter and her husband bragged that they had not bought their kids ONE toy - that all the grandparents did - they now have 4 boys under the age of 7 yrs old. We don't get cards from them for birthdays, holidays... maybe a text message or a FB message. But we send them gifts, cards, checks... They expect us to buy groceries, take them out to eat, cook and clean, and wash the kids when we go there - and then we stay in a hotel, they have a small house.

Sorry this is so long, but as you can guess - I'm fed up. I have been hurt so many times (we both have) and manipulated and used, and you get wise, and you think, well that won't happen again - but it does. If you say "no" to them, then they get mad and don't talk to us... and that's where we've been.

Well to say I'm tired is an understatement, I've said so many times... I'm done, never again. But then I turn the other cheek because of my husband. This has caused me MAJOR depression, and I just can't do this anymore - I really want to be done with them, but I know my husband can never close that door, and I never thought I would ask him too... but I can't keep dancing this dance - for my own well being.

This is a family that does not communicate, and like their bio mother - holds a grudge until the day they die. I made the mistake of trying to talk to the one daughter and it did not go well. At the end of the day - what I really want is respect and I was told you have to earn respect. I then asked what I've done to disrespect them or to not earn respect and she had no answer, my husband felt she was winging whatever out there hoping something would stick, but he knows I've not disrespected these girls.

So what's a stepmom to do... I'm exhausted, spent, tired... don't want to cry another tear, or have the conversations going through my head another day, but I really don't want this to end my marriage - I LOVE MY HUSBAND, he is my best friend, my soul mate, and I know he loves me.

Last edited by RJ17015; 10-14-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 03:27 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
So if you give money and gifts - they hate you.
If you don't give mone and gifts - they hate you. Hmm.

Not sure what to say. Feel hugged.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So if you give money and gifts - they hate you.
If you don't give mone and gifts - they hate you. Hmm.

Not sure what to say. Feel hugged.
I don't know if it's hate - but definitely they do not respect us.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:37 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
My husband and I have been married for almost 24 yrs now, and together for over 25. We love each other VERY much - we are each other's best friend. He has 2 daughters from his first marriage, now 33 and 31 yrs old. We have 2 children from our marriage now 23 and 21 yrs old. His ex-wife used the girls as pawns throughout our life together, and often turn the girls against us. We never stopped trying, we would show up at volleyball games, or school functions, even if the girls would not talk to us. Well all this groveling to be in their lives, has set up a VERY bad relationship now as adults. The girls have never shown respect for me or my husband, they continue to manipulate him/us and use us. We've jumped through hoops for these girls, and gotten little in return. We've paid for their college, and both of their weddings and honeymoons - and at one of the weddings they did not even talk to us - never talked to our son-in-law again after that day, they've since gotten divorced - but 7 yrs of no contact.

We have grandchildren by one of the girls - both girls were married at one time. Now their husbands are disrespectful to us too, and literally treat me like a maid. I've been trying for so long now, 25 years, and I've cried so many tears, fretted so many days, maybe if I said this, or did this, or sent them this... well then they'd like me - but NO. They showed up years for Christmas without gifts for anyone, not even their own children - my husband and I provided all the gifts, same at Easter. Our youngest daughter graduated from High School and not so much as a handmade card - and they aren't even apologetic about it. The one stepdaughter and her husband bragged that they had not bought their kids ONE toy - that all the grandparents did - they now have 4 boys under the age of 7 yrs old. We don't get cards from them for birthdays, holidays... maybe a text message or a FB message. But we send them gifts, cards, checks... They expect us to buy groceries, take them out to eat, cook and clean, and wash the kids when we go there - and then we stay in a hotel, they have a small house.

Sorry this is so long, but as you can guess - I'm fed up. I have been hurt so many times (we both have) and manipulated and used, and you get wise, and you think, well that won't happen again - but it does. If you say "no" to them, then they get mad and don't talk to us... and that's where we've been.

Well to say I'm tired is an understatement, I've said so many times... I'm done, never again. But then I turn the other cheek because of my husband. This has caused me MAJOR depression, and I just can't do this anymore - I really want to be done with them, but I know my husband can never close that door, and I never thought I would ask him too... but I can't keep dancing this dance - for my own well being.

This is a family that does not communicate, and like their bio mother - holds a grudge until the day they die. I made the mistake of trying to talk to the one daughter and it did not go well. At the end of the day - what I really want is respect and I was told you have to earn respect. I then asked what I've done to disrespect them or to not earn respect and she had no answer, my husband felt she was winging whatever out there hoping something would stick, but he knows I've not disrespected these girls.

So what's a stepmom to do... I'm exhausted, spent, tired... don't want to cry another tear, or have the conversations going through my head another day, but I also really hate to leave my husband.
When he goes to visit them you say, "I'll see you when you come home."

Old 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
I don't know if it's hate - but definitely they do not respect us.
Why would they? You give them whatever they want.

Stand up for yourself and end the ties.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
why would you continue to give them gifts and money? quit it. just stop. if you want till them there will be no more christmas gifts to adults that you will donate in their name to charity. under 10 age of grandchildren a token gift for important occasions. be polite but cut ties. if your husband wants to continue let him.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Why would they? You give them whatever they want.

Stand up for yourself and end the ties.
That's exactly where I am RIGHT now... I have stood up for myself and broke off ties. But my stepdaughter called her father saying we're family... and she wants it all to be swept under the rug AGAIN, and it's silly that we don't talk.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why would you continue to give them gifts and money? quit it. just stop. if you want till them there will be no more christmas gifts to adults that you will donate in their name to charity. under 10 age of grandchildren a token gift for important occasions. be polite but cut ties. if your husband wants to continue let him.
It's usually my husband who wants to send the check and big gifts, he earns the money - so I don't feel I have a say in the matter. BUT that being said, I am the one to send the cards, checks and gifts for the grandkids.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
Doormats

Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
When he goes to visit them you say, "I'll see you when you come home."
He won't go without me - I've tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.