Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:24 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times

Advertisements

Ive never considered my expectations high for anyone but myself. If I can be content with who I am, Where I'm at, and when I'm doing then I don't need a man to fill any voids...

AKA I can date anyone I want with no laundry list of pre-reqs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'd agree - but I'd add that, at least for me, when I was younger (meaning in my teens), I was attracted to guys that I thought were hot that I didn't know at all. When I got a bit older, I realized that I was more attracted to who someone was rather than just what they looked like at first glance. I never cared about money or status - but I met my husband when I was 25. I think that when women are single in their 30's a 40's - financial stability becomes more of an issue. I also think that the longer you are single, the more set in your ways you become and the harder it can be to change them.
I agree with this! Personally, I'm not big on money or status either. Obviously at the minimum a man should have employment(a career that he is starting out or developing, etc) and be able to financially take care of himself. But that is really my only standards in terms of finances and status. While I prefer an educated man(since I have a college education), I'm not opposed to a tradesman... Honestly my standards aren't particularly high--I was always taught however, to never accept a man that brings less to the table than you. Which means I would never have standards that I myself was not able to fulfill. I do notice that the older I am, there are different things that matter to me than when I was younger. When I was younger I cared about looks, a guy that was cool, maybe had a decent car, etc. Now that I'm older--I care about a guy's values, his work ethic, the way he treats people and animals(ha), the goals he has, his interest, his family background, etc. Looks are important to an extent(I have to be attracted) but not as important as all the other things. Same goes with finances--important to an extent, but I care for more about the deeper things that I feel like will have a direct impact on how I am treated and whether or not it will be a healthy relationship. I'm 26--so I'm in the 23-28 age range. I don't find my standards ridiculous at all, but everyone is entitled to seek what they feel is important. For me it's all about being with someone that shares similar values, and treats me well.

My sister, and a few friends, on the other hand, do prefer a man that is in a very good financial position, nice job, nice car, went to a great school,etc. However, my sister went to an Ivy, and works at a law firm making over six figures, she is only 25. It makes sense that she would have higher expectations...

Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeViolationMcEnroe View Post
Same expectations as in college (wants you to be tall, handsome and socially adept), except now they also expects you to have your own car, pay for their meals, etc.
IMO, bump it up a bit. here's the pattern i see:

20 - 26 is usually still post-college mentality, not ready to settle down, OK with having casual sex with a loser if he looks good

26 - 29 women seem to go through this period of dramatically raised expectations, oftentimes becoming more prudish

30+ if they are unmarried, the expectations begin a downward slide

Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 AM

529 posts, read 702,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
26 - 29 women seem to go through this period of dramatically raised expectations, oftentimes becoming more prudish
It has nothing to do with being a prude. It's that they realize that they're getting near the end of their shelf-life (yes, I realize that's going to anger women, but who cares because we all know it's a game that both genders play) and so they have to be more selective. Sure, they could continue just randomly banging guys at this point, but then no guy is going to be interested at all in a long-term relationship and so they have to start cleaning up their past.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
It has nothing to do with being a prude.

It's that they realize that they're getting near the end of their shelf-life (yes, I realize that's going to anger women, but who cares because we all know it's a game that both genders play) and so they have to be more selective. Sure, they could continue just randomly banging guys at this point, but then no guy is going to be interested at all in a long-term relationship and so they have to start cleaning up their past.
same difference

Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being a prude. It's that they realize that they're getting near the end of their shelf-life (yes, I realize that's going to anger women, but who cares because we all know it's a game that both genders play) and so they have to be more selective. Sure, they could continue just randomly banging guys at this point, but then no guy is going to be interested at all in a long-term relationship and so they have to start cleaning up their past.
Do you really still think that men wont have a LTR with an attractive women who has a "past"?

It's just not the case.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Of course they have high expectations, as do men in that age range.

People in general want the best looking person they can get, who makes the most money, along with a great personality. When they can't have it all they end up compromising on something.

People who overestimate their worth and look for a mate out of their league are often single.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Do you really still think that men wont have a LTR with an attractive women who has a "past"?

It's just not the case.
You can say that, but it is the case, or women would be as open as you say you are with their past. Both men and woman lie about their past and that's not arguable, so to claim that nobody cares about it is just a silly argument.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You can say that, but it is the case, or women would be as open as you say you are with their past. Both men and woman lie about their past and that's not arguable, so to claim that nobody cares about it is just a silly argument.
I am not saying no one cares. Of course some people care.

But saying everyone cares is just as silly an argument.

I haven't really run into any of the women I know lying to their men about their past relationships or sexual history. Maybe its more common in certain social circles, cities areas where people are more uptight, judgmental etc. I just don't really experience it.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I am not saying no one cares. Of course some people care.

But saying everyone cares is just as silly an argument.

I haven't really run into any of the women I know lying to their men about their past relationships or sexual history. Maybe its more common in certain social circles, cities areas where people are more uptight, judgmental etc. I just don't really experience it.
I would say that the vast majority (meaning in the 75-85% range at least) care. So, not "everyone," but most everyone. I always run into women -- it's always women, by the way -- who say on the Internet that women don't lie about their sexual history. It's always "nobody I've ever met lies about their number." Who are you women trying to kid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships