Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,961,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
I'm 28 year old, have a PhD, have a good job that pays me well and for the most part I'm happy with my and content with my life for the first time in my life. Recently, though, people such as my close and extended family and colleagues are starting to wonder if I'm gay or not because I've never been in a relationship. How is it they can't figure out the true reason I've never had a woman interested in me? My freakishly ugly face, of course. That is not an exaggeration, and in fact, I was ridiculed and bullied over my freakish looks throughout elementary and middle school.

Why is it some people just can never understand that some people were just never meant to have relationships in general? I've personally never had friends either for the most part, mostly acquaintances as I really withdrew socially during the torment I suffered in my formative years. I tried telling my older brother the real reason (he's actually good looking and has always been popular with women), and he told me it's a, and I quote, "retarded excuse" then proceeded to feed me the generic nonsense of "It's all about confidence. Just put yourself out there and you'll find her". This is what I believe the responses of the other people who are "wondering" will also be. It's like they simply can't conceive that some people just aren't designed by nature to be appealing to the opposite sex.

Sounds depressing to most I'm sure, but I'm actually not depressed about it. I've learned to accept it many years ago, and I actually live a decent and fulfilling life for the most part.

No one ever said you need a relationship or other people. Do whatever you want.

Although, it's not a very uncommon assumption to think you're gay if you're 28 and have never had a girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,867,641 times
Quote:
I'm 28 year old, have a PhD, have a good job that pays me well and for the most part I'm happy with my and content with my life for the first time in my life. Recently, though, people such as my close and extended family and colleagues are starting to wonder if I'm gay or not because I've never been in a relationship. How is it they can't figure out the true reason I've never had a woman interested in me? My freakishly ugly face, of course. That is not an exaggeration, and in fact, I was ridiculed and bullied over my freakish looks throughout elementary and middle school.

Why is it some people just can never understand that some people were just never meant to have relationships in general? I've personally never had friends either for the most part, mostly acquaintances as I really withdrew socially during the torment I suffered in my formative years. I tried telling my older brother the real reason (he's actually good looking and has always been popular with women), and he told me it's a, and I quote, "retarded excuse" then proceeded to feed me the generic nonsense of "It's all about confidence. Just put yourself out there and you'll find her". This is what I believe the responses of the other people who are "wondering" will also be. It's like they simply can't conceive that some people just aren't designed by nature to be appealing to the opposite sex.

Sounds depressing to most I'm sure, but I'm actually not depressed about it. I've learned to accept it many years ago, and I actually live a decent and fulfilling life for the most part.
It's all about conformity. People see what they want to see and cannot grasp the idea that someone might do something that's not the status quo. Too many black and white assumptions, people don't think beyond what they assume, etc.

If man is married = He wins at life, end there.

If man is not married = Gay, loser, failed at life, numerous stupid made up assumptions.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM

448 posts, read 765,257 times
Quote:

Didn't read most of this but if RedFoo of LMFAO can get chicks after "Sexy and I Know it"so can you. Your argument is invalid.
Sexy and I Know It - LMFAO

Old 10-24-2013, 01:45 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,972,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No one ever said you need a relationship or other people. Do whatever you want.

Although, it's not a very uncommon assumption to think you're gay if you're 28 and have never had a girlfriend.
Stupidest post on this thread!!!

Just because you are not married or don't have a girlfriend does NOT make you gay.

I think making that assumption makes you cruel.

Many single women who choose to remain single enjoying life with their girlfriends does NOT make them gay.

Let everyone alone, get a life and stop stereotyping people!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:46 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

Just because you are not married or don't have a girlfriend does NOT make you gay.

Not having a girlfriend is VERY different from NEVER having had a girlfriend. Please note that.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM

181 posts, read 192,456 times
Let me tell you one thing about women. The only thing that has repulsed me about a man is when he was cheating on me or acting like an *******. I have never been repulsed by someone's looks, specially a man's look. I have even been close to dating men with disabilities once or twice, so nothing repulsive about any of that. Now a man who cheats on women and has a generally mysogynistic attitude towards women and treats them like objects and brags how many he has banged - is truly repulsive. When you get out to the real world, you will realize how different it is from what you have in your head.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,961,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post

I think making that assumption makes you cruel.

Many single women who choose to remain single enjoying life with their girlfriends does NOT make them gay.

Let everyone alone, get a life and stop stereotyping people!

I didnt ever say people were nice, I simply said it's not uncommon. Chill out.

My post is far from stupid, it is reality.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:08 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,415,749 times
sam cassell is somebody that everyone agrees is an ugly mutha****a

where are you in terms of looks?

you can get a girlfriend and/or get laid if you want

especially since you have education and are good financially

Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM

13,669 posts, read 9,746,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I did this on Sunday at a barber shop that was full of women, but they were all married. I had my "stylist" having to take breaks from shaving my head because she couldn't breathe, and the other stylists around her were having to stop from laughing hard, too.
A very astute observation. People who are already in serious relationships (especially those who are already married) won't drop their partner in favor of some new charming young man who waltzes into their lives. No amount of "social skills" can defeat the basic realities of demographics. If one does not interact with a some minimal quantity of single and eligible people, there's little advantage to being socially adroit.

Quote:
Most conversations outside of the job at hand naturally revolves around what they did with their girlfriend or friends over the weekend, their families, etc. Since I cannot relate or provide input on this, I usually just nod my head and pretend to care while they go on about their lives.
As one gets older, the office theme switches from renditions of entertainment over the weekend, to the chores of tending to young children, and later to the travails of parenting teenagers. So the social stigma of lacking a romantic partner will eventually be assuaged, as one's office clique matures. It will be replaced by bemused gossip over why so-and-so isn't an upstanding family man. This in particular is the pattern in engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Although something tells me it is not your looks, but your misanthropic or cold manner that keeps people away. Have people ever called you "odd" or "creepy"?
Another very astute observation. Evidence suggests that what repulses women is not physical hideousness but unwitting signals of incompatibility. The "ugly guy" might have the misfortune of an asymmetric face with unappealing bone-structure and whatnot, but he could nevertheless exude a message that "I'm safe, I'm reliable, I'm friendly, I can be trusted". And inversely, a visually impressive man could be sending signals such as "I hold society in contempt, and the persons in it, merely as means to an end".

Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,680,621 times
I can't believe after four pages of replies, everyone is still missing the point. Whether coming from the standpoint of the being "God's gift to women - I'm ugly but I can still have tons of girlfriends" or generally trying to be encouraging, the advice everyone is giving is the same. People think you're gay? Go out there and find a girlfriend to prove them wrong. But this is not the issue. The issue is, these people who are suggesting you are gay behind your back or to your face are NOT your friends. Because I can guarantee that if indeed you do find a girlfriend one day and especially one who is beautiful, they will not be happy for you. Instead, the talk will then turn to how an ugly guy like you ended up with a such beautiful woman. My advice - live happy your way and find better friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships