Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,302 times

Advertisements

does being in tech, engineering, or the hard sciences (nerds) stunt your social life and development? should we have any sympathy for these guys who choose this lack of social lifestyle?

take a look at this silicon valley halloween party these guys are getting criticized primary because it was themed "hackers and hookers", like they should have known better.

Hookers And Hackers Is The Least Surprising Tech Party Of All Time

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 03:01 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
$10 all you can drink

ha, a true nerdy only needs one beer to get smashed

Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
People seriously have no lives if they're making articles and being offended by this..

Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People seriously have no lives if they're making articles and being offended by this..
No kidding. Sheesh.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:17 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Some people just cannot see the humor in something that is supposed to be fun.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,360 times
This party looks awesome. Of course a librag like HuffPost would be offended. Anything offends them. This probably offends them because of the volume of feminists who work there.

Fun and laid back women have decided Halloween is the one night that they can get away with looking like hookers... so that's what it is.

Women don't really care if a guy is a tech/engineer/science nerd. If the guy looks decent and keeps himself neat, then it takes care of itself.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,435 times
Number one it is a huffington post article basically a yahoo article with different coat basically find something minor then make it very big deal to make people annoyed or speak out against "pc" and other nonsense.

Number two it has so many groan inducing stereotypes that it hurts just to even comprehend it.

The only good thing that cam out of this article was that one comment from the guy who thought it was a GOP fund raiser I cracked up when I read that.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
does being in tech, engineering, or the hard sciences (nerds) stunt your social life and development?
yes

Quote:
should we have any sympathy for these guys who choose this lack of social lifestyle?
no

Quote:
take a look at this silicon valley halloween party these guys are getting criticized primary because it was themed "hackers and hookers", like they should have known better.

Hookers And Hackers Is The Least Surprising Tech Party Of All Time
no

Old 10-24-2013, 08:50 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
does being in tech, engineering, or the hard sciences (nerds) stunt your social life and development?

Absolutely not, however it does attract a lot of geeks. That being said, I have a lot of girls that I study with that are gorgeous.

It's a fun stereotype for engineers to joke about, mainly because our workload is so much higher than any other major and we don't get to go out near as often. However, to actually believe that being in these fields is bad for your social life is pretty ignorant.

However, I'm pretty sure you were speaking tongue in cheek so I'm not speaking directly to you.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,302 times
yes, i was. thanks. and long time ago i was a double major computer science and electrical engineering student with an IT job before i changed direction in my life.

but i also had a legitimate point. which is why do these smart ppl make life more difficult for themselves by not paying attention to having a little more balance in their life. my dad was an engineer, so i am also familiar with the social circles. some have more social and people skills (and usually become managers) than others. just don't understand why others don't get it. so what if the foreign students beat the pants out of us on academics, but let them end up on CDR crying for dating help instead of guys who could have done better with a little more foresight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships