Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 AM

270 posts, read 968,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Sigh. You mentioned her marriage was on the rocks. Could it be that your male friend here is her confidant, the person she could turn to for "man advice" outside of her husband? Could it be that the "alone time" she mentioned was in regards to such conversations?
IMO, I don't think it is appropriate to confide marital problems with opposite sex friends. I would classify this as having an Emotional Affair. Sonderbooks Book Review of Not "Just Friends"

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
My guess is that she is insecure, perhaps has some baggage, and they "no secrets" aspect is her agreement....perhaps initiated by him to help squash any doubts; to ease her mind.
She says that the "no secrets" marriage was actually started by her offering up her passwords/phone/etc to her husband. When they first got married, she had a "friend" with an unhealthy attachment to her. She wanted to prove that there were no feelings from her end so she offered up her passwords/phone/etc. He reviewed her emails, answered her phone, etc and realized he had nothing to worry about. The friend moved on emotionally and is out of their lives. I mentioned the "no secrets" in my original post just to defend her (she is my friend after all) - to explain that she wasn't purposely snooping through his stuff. His iPhone went off and the message was clearly displayed on the lock screen.

Last edited by srnyong; 10-28-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
You can configure notifications to not display the contents of the message in the lock screen or to not display the notification at all.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,605,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
IMO, I don't think it is appropriate to confide marital problems with opposite sex friends.
Does that mean gay people can't confide their relationship problems to same-sex friends? Does that mean bisexual or pansexual people can't confide their relationship problems to anyone?

Nonsense, I say.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:25 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,605,374 times
Quote:
She says that the "no secrets" marriage was actually started by her offering up her passwords/phone/etc to her husband. When they first got married, she had a "friend" with an unhealthy attachment to her. She wanted to prove that there were no feelings from her end so she offered up her passwords/phone/etc. He reviewed her emails, answered her phone, etc and realized he had nothing to worry about.
This sounds like the start of their problems, IMO. If you feel the need to read your partner's emails and answer their phone in order to have trust in their faithfulness to you, you probably shouldn't marry them. It sounds like there was insecurity brewing from the beginning, and now it's coming to a head. If two people are not secure with and trusting of each other, electronic snooping isn't going to ease their concerns, it's just going to exacerbate them.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
(FWIW, I had a female friend who I traveled with for work a lot. We did a lot of stuff together on business trips, including going out to bars and having a good time in really cool places like NYC and other fun cities. There was NEVER any cheating going on, and I was always open and honest with my wife about the fun we had together. At one point, my wife said it was starting to make her uncomfy. I doubted her at first, but she said "imagine if I'd do the same thing with my boss on a trip, how would you feel?" I got the point she was making, and I ended it. The moral of this story is, without accusation, we had a mature discussion, and the problem was solved. My wife was my priority, so I did the right thing.
I'm really intrigued by your story. Another question for you about this situation:
When you "ended it" with your platonic female friend, how did she take it? Was she mature and understanding, or did she get defensive and call your wife "ridiculous."
What would you have thought of your friend if she went the defensive and ridiculous route?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
Quote:
Another question for you about this situation:
When you "ended it" with your platonic female friend, how did she take it? Was she mature and understanding, or did she get defensive and call your wife "ridiculous."
What would you have thought of your friend if she went the defensive and ridiculous route?
If a man is true to his wife, and truly innocent of anything with the woman making the text, he could not care less if the friend gets defensive or tries to insult him when he sets her straight.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If a man is true to his wife, and truly innocent of anything with the woman making the text, he could not care less if the friend gets defensive or tries to insult him when he sets her straight.
Agreed!
What I'm really asking is: If the platonic friend gets defensive, is that an indication that she had the hots for him? What would indicate to you that the platonic friend had more in mind or was having an emotional affair? Asking him to see her even though he clearly stated his wife was not comfortable?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
Well, if the husband were really up to no good, he would have found a way to limit the wife's access to his phone. That didn't happen.

To me, the more rational explanation is that this woman has decided to start flirting. That actually happened to me a few times, once through texts, more through phone calls or conversations. I duly report that stuff to MrsCPG. I even had an old girlfriend look me up on Facebook, which I accepted after telling my wife. After a couple of weeks of catching up, she suddenly started with the "My husband doesn't treat me well" and "Why did we ever break up" routines. I immediately defriended her and told my wife about it.

However, I would check the past texting history and see if he's been erasing select, incriminating messages.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Agreed!
What I'm really asking is: If the platonic friend gets defensive, is that an indication that she had the hots for him? What would indicate to you that the platonic friend had more in mind or was having an emotional affair? Asking him to see her even though he clearly stated his wife was not comfortable?
NO, not necessarily.

It could just mean she is offended that someone would think she is after their husband (especially if she is not).

Old 10-28-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Agreed!
This would be a red flag to me and would show she is up to no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships