Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times

Advertisements

when my mom and dad used to fight, my mom would often attack my dad's family and upbringing. she did not like her father in law and cam to dislike my dad's sisters husband and my dad's brother's wife. it was my dad's side of the family that supposedly had "money", tho as my mom started in her career and bringing in the $$ it occurred to her that my dad was not the ambitious man she thought he was. (lots of people were very naive back in those days)

my mom would attack my dad by sarcastically describing his family and upbringing as "peasantville". do you think dad ever described her family in negative terms? take a guess...

what on earth did this mean by "peasantville"? I never asked. their marriage was so lousy at times i just didn't want to hear any more bad things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,002,282 times
She felt she was better than he was, and it seems like she described his family like they lived in the trailer park. That's a classy woman right there.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Your mom sounds like a real winner. I hope he was able to get away and find some piece. Also, I guess she knew about his background when they got married, so the attacks were really unfair. As to what she meant, I would guess she thought they were trailer trach from the backwoods and way beneathe her.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 PM

they are both gone. they married in 1955. their marriage was very stable actually but riddled with problems.
both did very well earning $$ and saving but there was always friction. a year after my dad passed(2008) my mom told me my dad tried to cheat on her because she was not giving him enough "attention", according to her because she was busy in library school. this goes back to the early to mid 70's when my mom was in her late 30's and my dad was in his early 40's. i never saw my dad as 'the type" who would actually do that. i remember on Labor Day weekend in 1974 my dad left the house for the weekend and i always remembered feeling so lost and sad. i asked my mom why that happened and she was amazed that i could remember that far back. she then explained to me what that was about. now armed with this missing info i can finally understand why my relationship with my dad was so uncomfortable. basically she would tell him to 'go talk to your son and get out of my face". he would ask me if i was interested in any girls and i would be like WTF??!! i always disliked him for doing that. now i realize he was just hiding his issues with my mom and not being real. we never saw eye to eye about a lot of things

mom passed almost 3 years after my dad. she would complain that if my mom had fallen ill first, that my dad wouldn't have been able to handle it

i think this had a lot to do with her hostility toward his family

Old 10-28-2013, 03:40 PM

both were totally naive when they met. both were the black sheep of their families. that was what drew them together. my dad was an underfunctioner in school but he still earned a decent living. he probably had some aspie traits. he was still very bright. just not a lot of emotional intelligence. when my mom started to earn $$$ and contribute to the household i don't think he could handle it. i don't really know tho. they were never open about much at all. she used to say "if it weren't for me you wouldn't have ever gotten married" and she used to say that the only reason she married was to get away from her mother.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:42 PM

my dads father used to make her family feel like trailer trash because they had more $$ than my moms side. i think thats why she said those things to him.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
Money - the root of all evil, a couple strippers and a taxi ride home.

The word usage of 'peasants' come from the golden days of slavery where workers were referred to as mere peasants.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:11 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
when my mom and dad used to fight, my mom would often attack my dad's family and upbringing. she did not like her father in law and cam to dislike my dad's sisters husband and my dad's brother's wife. it was my dad's side of the family that supposedly had "money", tho as my mom started in her career and bringing in the $$ it occurred to her that my dad was not the ambitious man she thought he was. (lots of people were very naive back in those days)

my mom would attack my dad by sarcastically describing his family and upbringing as "peasantville". do you think dad ever described her family in negative terms? take a guess...

what on earth did this mean by "peasantville"? I never asked. their marriage was so lousy at times i just didn't want to hear any more bad things
Peasantville probably means your mom thought your dad grew up in a setting where there was no money, education and people did not pursue upscale interests typically associated with the rich or well-to-do.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM

except for the $$ you are correct.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
I means working class, which sometimes means more n=money than middle class, but a very different culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships