Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times

Advertisements

All this talk about women loving their kids more than their husbands got me thinking about this. If your wife or husband loved your dog/cat more than you would you be jealous or resentful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
My family loves our dogs as if they were our children. I don't know how I would feel if my wife loved them more than me but I know she doesn't.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,418 times
Depends how much Fido chews on the wall or how often Fluffy runs out of the house and I have to chase her down.

Bad pets can't compete with s/o's

But if Spot can learn to bring my slippers and beer to me, and Sylvester can learn to use the toilet, a s/o will have competition.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
My nephew's wife is, for lack of a better word, obsessed with their dog. Her Facebook feed is constant pictures of the dog. She won't travel unless the dog can go with them, because she won't get a petsitter or leave her at a kennel for even a weekend. She's made my nephew sleep on the couch so that the dog can sleep in the bed with her. I don't know that she loves the dog more than my nephew, but it's not normal. I get that a pet is your buddy, but at the end of the day, it's a dog. It's not a child, or even a person. It rolls in garbage and drinks out of the toilet and is just happy to be loved.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:04 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,818 times
i just wouldn't get married in the first place to a woman who could think her pet is more important than her [not estranged/not about to divorce/etc] husband

i love my pets 100% but they aren't people. so of course my *closest* loved ones are more important to me

Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Dogs and cats are nice, but they're just animals. And people who prefer animals over people do so because they generally have underdeveloped social skills. With pets, all you have to do is pour kibble in their bowls and give them a pat on the head. People actually require thought and interaction on the basis of equals.

I would have serious issues with a SO who gave her pets more of her mental energy than she did to me.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
No, she does wonderful things to me she would never do to the dog or cat......

Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
All this talk about women loving their kids more than their husbands got me thinking about this. If your wife or husband loved your dog/cat more than you would you be jealous or resentful?
Why the heck would anyone marry someone who loved anyone more than them?

Now, when kids come later, feelings shift and all that, but you'd have to have a screw loose to marry someone who already was more in love with their ferret than with you.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
This is actually a pretty good argument (and I'm NOT trying to dredge this chestnut up) for not getting with single parents. You will always be second to the kids. And some women have told me you'd be THIRD because their career comes next. I am sure that is true of men, too. Maybe even more so because their career tends to define them more.

Ha. No, thanks.

It's one thing if your relationships change and evolve.
It's another thing going into it already low on the list.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is actually a pretty good argument (and I'm NOT trying to dredge this chestnut up) for not getting with single parents. You will always be second to the kids. And some women have told me you'd be THIRD because their career comes next. I am sure that is true of men, too. Maybe even more so because their career tends to define them more.

Ha. No, thanks.

It's one thing if your relationships change and evolve.
It's another thing going into it already low on the list.
I agree. In healthy marriages, nothing comes between you and your spouse. Not your career. Not your kids. And certainly not some dumb dog.

That is not to say that you shouldn't love your job, for that gives you income and fulfillment. And that is not to say that you shouldn't love your kids, but kids are ultimately guests in your life. If you've done your job, they grow up and move away.

But in your marriage, it's you and your spouse. Everything else should come second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships