Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times

Advertisements

I realize that there are people that exist that simply do not have types(be it physical, personality, etc) and these people are open-minded enough to date across the board. However most people, whether its admitted or not do have a certain type that they date or find attractive on the consistent basis. Sure every now and then there will be someone that they find themselves attracted to that are not their usual type but for the most part there is usually some common quality or attribute amongst the women/men this person dates. So for this threads purpose I just want to speak in reference to that(that most people have certain types).

Say you were dating someone and stumbled upon information that indicated that they had only dated a certain type of women/men for several years and you are the first woman/man that this person has dated that is mostly opposite from that persons type. For instance say a man typically dated thin fit blonde woman who were super feminine, very attractive, and outgoing and you were the FIRST woman he had dated that was a little overweight(not plus size but maybe 10-15 pounds overweight), brunette hair , you were more on the Tom boy side, and not as outgoing as the woman he dates, but you were very attractive. Would it make you feel intimidated to find out that he dated women much thinner, much more prissy, and much more outgoing than you were? Yes you are attractive just like the women he has dated in the past but you look nothing like the woman he dates and acts nothing like them either. Would you secretly wonder if he was experimenting with you? Or would you feel insecure or intimidated because he has never dated a woman like you?

For men, say you found out that the woman you were dating had only dated a specific race of men that looked pretty similar(I.e a white woman who only dated dark skin black men) and you were the first man that she had dated that wasn't that race and physically you are attractive but you look and act differently(culturally) than the men she usually dates. Would this bother you? Would you be curious as to why all the sudden she is attracted to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
I could care less.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM

415 posts, read 764,961 times
I could care even less than less...

Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Who cares? Just enjoy the relationship. I've seen women go for a variety of physical types, because women tend to value personality more, and the right personality can come in a variety of packages. Maybe sticking to "type" is more of a guy thing? In any case, I don't think it's something to get anxious about.
How would you even know whether someone had consistently gone for a certain type before you? There's too much focus on finding out the partner's sexual history and the details thereof, if you ask me.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I could care less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
I could care even less than less...
Really? I couldn't.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
I couldn't care less.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
I'm the only one that would be bothered by this? Wow. I have a friend, who is dating a white guy, and she is black, she is very attractive but this guy has only dated white woman and she's skeptical because she feels like she could be an experiment for him. I'm also dating someone and as far as I am aware physically I do not look like the type of woman he has dated in the past. It hasn't bothered me much yet but I do wonder if it could be. It was an issue in my last relationship because he had never dated a woman with my personality or upbringing. At first he liked it, later on as the relationship progress it began to bother him.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM

455 posts, read 898,811 times
There isn't much point in caring. I wouldn't be able to turn myself black (at least, not convincingly) or become 6 feet tall, or change my personality, etc. Whatever I have going on would apparently be enough reason for her to be with me. And if she was just trying out new flavors, it probably wouldn't last long enough to affect me anyway.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:00 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
I was the first tall, curvy bi-racial woman an ex-fiance dated. He had previously only dated Asian women (both ex-wives were Asian), a few Latinas, and one or two white women. They were all very petite. I'm 5'9.5" and a size 10/12. I did feel a bit intimidated, I guess. He was excited and thrilled to branch out of his norm, and I opened his eyes to a lot. He thought I was absolutely gorgeous and never made me feel less than that. It was all in my own head.

However, most of the other men I have been seriously involved with like curvy women, so it was never an issue. I generally do not look like the type most of my partners have dated as I have a more exotic look and sport a lot of body art. Most of them have straight-laced appearances.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
blah. just be happy he/she's is banging you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships