Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,220,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
In a roundabout way it is. If you think women just care about looks, then you're not going to invest a lot of yourself trying to get your answer. And ultimately, who cares about getting rejected by someone you don't know?

It's a progression. A stage if you will. The irony of it is I think most bitter guys start out way too idealistic about women. Thinking that women don't care about looks AT ALL. Then after, showing their best to some girls they really liked and getting rejected, it's all shattered.

If the progression starts early enough, they can right the ship if too much damage hasn't been done.
There's a middle ground between idealizing women and being bitter about life/women, but I don't expect most people set in their ways to realize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM

803 posts, read 1,671,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
True. Spend a day on the dating sites. You'll see a lot of "Don't bother writing me if you're under 6'0 etc etc"

They say things like that, yet I'm 5'6 and would get messages from some of those girls in my inbox.

Never take a woman at her word on a dating site.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM

368 posts, read 578,488 times
I'll put it this way, men just want something to drink, women want decaf coffee with 2 drops of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon stirred lightly and then cooled down for 3 minutes lol..

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
Quote:
In a roundabout way it is. If you think women just care about looks, then you're not going to invest a lot of yourself trying to get your answer. And ultimately, who cares about getting rejected by someone you don't know?

It's a progression. A stage if you will. The irony of it is I think most bitter guys start out way too idealistic about women. Thinking that women don't care about looks AT ALL. Then after, showing their best to some girls they really liked and getting rejected, it's all shattered.

If the progression starts early enough, they can right the ship if too much damage hasn't been done.
And what if those guys aren't getting rejected because of their looks? I know a few guys that complain about how 'all women want is looks and money' but in reality, they're huge pains in the butt and it's pretty obvious why women want nothing to do with them...and it has NOTHING to do with what they look like.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 PM

457 posts, read 606,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think that for most women the idea that sexual attraction has to do with looks (or height, or money, or status) is just alien.

It's like saying we are attracted to a guy based on his mother's first name. Women just go .

But there's a certain subset of men who are desperate to believe that women's lack of interest is really not due to the guys' emotional issues.
I have been ignored routinely on OLD sites and now recently MeetMe. It happens with over 50% of women I've contacted on MeetMe, a website designed to chat. I send them a message, they don't respond at all (this is after they accepted my friend request, so they can't find me that objectionable). I use the same picture on my profile here as my top profile there. They couldn't be ignoring me on account of my personality, given they know very little about that on the site, it has to be my looks. I send friendly messages as well, sometimes personalized, sometimes not.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM

457 posts, read 606,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So? I saw a lot of 'no fatties'. Everyone has their preferences. I mean, I didn't see a lot of profiles that specifically said 'no women over __ height' but I sure got a lot of rejections based on my height.
Most guys are lenient on that to some extent. There are a smaller percentage of obese women than there are men under 5'8". Also, height is something you can control less than weight.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
There's a whole thread I posted a while ago that fell off the first page that conclusively shows that women a majority of men to be unattractive, and often dismiss most men for not meeting one or more of their checklist of preferences (which are requirements). Women will often dismiss a man from the start for being the wrong height or the wrong ethnicity, while that almost never happens with men. The fact that men were more reasonable in their standards of women, where they rated the average woman to be a 5/10, is enough to show this. If this wasn't true, then everything we understand about evolution and natural selection would be completely wrong. Women, by nature, have to be more pickier than men.

Why are you making this personal? I never mentioned anything about myself or my own apparent lack of success in the dating world. All I did was state some basic facts. Please address the facts and not me personally. Thank you.

hahaha, the bolded is SO NOT TRUE. Men have a TON of preferences, they just ignore the women who don't match what they want. As a woman who has been almost constantly rejected due to undesirable physical characteristics I can say you are completely incorrect.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,854,059 times
Quote:
And what if those guys aren't getting rejected because of their looks? I know a few guys that complain about how 'all women want is looks and money' but in reality, they're huge pains in the butt and it's pretty obvious why women want nothing to do with them...and it has NOTHING to do with what they look like.
Then why don't YOU tell them what's wrong with them?

If a guy goes through his life with women liking him perfectly well as a friend, coworker, classmate, and never having anything bad to say about him, and he does poorly with women, then it's a pretty good bet that it's because of his looks. Which is not to say he's hideous, but that he's just not physically attractive to women.

Looks mean a lot. I mean there's posters here who say extremely shallow things and can barely construct a coherent paragraph who have to beat off the opposite sex with a stick.

But beyond that, it's just a mentality/approach thing. It prevents you from falling for somebody who will completely reject you, which I believe is the #1 cause of bitterness.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Then why don't YOU tell them what's wrong with them?

If a guy goes through his life with women liking him perfectly well as a friend, coworker, classmate, and never having anything bad to say about him, and he does poorly with women, then it's a pretty good bet that it's because of his looks. Which is not to say he's hideous, but that he's just not physically attractive to women.

Looks mean a lot. I mean there's posters here who say extremely shallow things and can barely construct a coherent paragraph who have to beat off the opposite sex with a stick.

But beyond that, it's just a mentality/approach thing. It prevents you from falling for somebody who will completely reject you, which I believe is the #1 cause of bitterness.
Eh, I have on several occasions. They just tell me I'm wrong and that it's solely because of their looks/lack of money.

I do, however, agree with your last sentence. As a woman who is constantly rejected it has made me a bit jaded and bitter. I've been with my boyfriend for just about 6 months now and I still think he's going to break up with me any day now. I think I'm just preparing myself for the inevitable so it won't be that difficult on me.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 PM

377 posts, read 620,953 times
Quote:
hahaha, the bolded is SO NOT TRUE. Men have a TON of preferences, they just ignore the women who don't match what they want.
How can you honestly be sure of that and not that they are attracted to these women but don't approach because they know they'll be shot down anyways? Personally, I've been very attracted to women in the past who would be classed unattractive by conventional standards, but I never would talk or approach them as I know it would result in rejection 100% of the time seeing as they can always at least get with average guys.

From your point of view, you'd dismiss me as one of those guys who are ignoring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships