Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 AM

39 posts, read 36,902 times

Advertisements

From.......

The guy who hasn't been blessed to have children yet.....

Looks like I'll be doing the saving of THEIR children like always too.

I don't care....someone has to do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 03:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,119,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_Part_Ouch View Post
The kids....BOTH parents should willingly give their own lives to save that child in the unfortunate event something like that would happen.
Not everything is life or death though.

My kids had to wait for breakfast (need) because I had to help my husband get dressed so he could get to work on time (need -he had an injury that prevented him from be able to do this for himself).

Since the kids wouldn't starve to death in the 10 minutes it was going to take me to help my husband or be late to school because of this, my husband's needs were met first.

His truck broke down once in the middle of the night. I had to go and pick him up which meant I had to wake my kids up and take them with me. Their need for sleep didn't take priority over my husband's need to be "rescued" from the side of the road in the middle of the night.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:24 PM

6,887 posts, read 7,936,478 times
I didn't know it was a choice to make. When my children were born they had a lot of needs they could not take care of themselves. It seemed obvious to me that those needs came first.

My husband never verbalized it well but he did feel left out. Once when my youngest was 3 months old he yelled at me because I didn't want to leave the (breastfed) baby and a 2 year old with his parents and go to Europe with him. I was so clueless, I really didn't know what he was trying to tell me or how to put him first. Of course, he had no idea how to put me first either.

Shortly before our separation he brought me a book by Dr. Laura Schlessinger called the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. I read a bit of it and laughed my butt off. How I was supposed to show unconditional respect for a man whose behavior was embarrassing to me is a mystery I will never solve.

Now I've grown up quite a bit and my kids are older, I can forsee a future with a husband where I WILL be able to put him first. But not the way Dr. Laura wants me to......

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,967,813 times
My parents prioritized the kids. They went to all our soccer games, drove us to every girl scout camping trip, chaperoned field trips, and encouraged us to invite friends over often so they could get to know our social groups better. I can't remember a single weekend away or date night during my childhood. Weekends were spent helping us do our activities.

My husband's parents prioritized each other. They took care of the kids 100%, but they made sure that every Saturday night was their date night (kids went to grandma's), they found a couple's bible study with free child care so they could continually work on their marriage, and while they absolutely still coached baseball teams and baked cookies for class parties, they weren't going to sacrifice their relationship for a bake sale.

Now that both sets of parents are empty nesters, his parents have adjusted to the change much better than mine have. Mine had a rough go of remembering what it was like to be a "married couple" rather than parents.

I hope to emulate DH's parents when our little one comes in a few months. He has a much healthier view of relationships and parenting than I do.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM

52,418 posts, read 52,935,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
My parents prioritized the kids. They went to all our soccer games, drove us to every girl scout camping trip, chaperoned field trips, and encouraged us to invite friends over often so they could get to know our social groups better. I can't remember a single weekend away or date night during my childhood. Weekends were spent helping us do our activities.

My husband's parents prioritized each other. They took care of the kids 100%, but they made sure that every Saturday night was their date night (kids went to grandma's), they found a couple's bible study with free child care so they could continually work on their marriage, and while they absolutely still coached baseball teams and baked cookies for class parties, they weren't going to sacrifice their relationship for a bake sale.

Now that both sets of parents are empty nesters, his parents have adjusted to the change much better than mine have. Mine had a rough go of remembering what it was like to be a "married couple" rather than parents.

I hope to emulate DH's parents when our little one comes in a few months. He has a much healthier view of relationships and parenting than I do.
Interesting post.

I've heard versions of this same story and there may be some merit to your husbands parents approach. I don't know, as we don't have kids or plan on having them. I do think that for people like your parents the empty nest thing is probably harder to cope with, at least at first anyway.

Happy parenting, hope baby comes all healthy.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 PM

290 posts, read 367,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Shortly before our separation he brought me a book by Dr. Laura Schlessinger called the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. I read a bit of it and laughed my butt off.
My wife bought that book many years ago as a joke. We played Mad Libs with it and she drew a moustache on Dr. Laura.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 AM

428 posts, read 477,664 times
heres what an older, married guy told me about this subject once: he puts his wife first, then his children, then himself . his wife puts their children first, then herself, then him. either way, the husband comes last.In most cases even dogs are more valued than husbands.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,804,685 times
Marriage. The kids are in orbit around us, so that they can leave someday and be the center of someone else's universe.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,702,684 times
I tried to put the needs of our family first, but sometimes there were difficult choices to be made based on the situation at hand. I found myself forever juggling the needs of my children, my husband, my career, and myself, and I know sometimes my solutions were less than wonderful, but I always tried to do the best I could. Our kids are grown now, my career is over, my dear husband is still with me, and I'm still kicking, so I guess it turned out alright, but it wasn't always easy. Life is truly a balancing act.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,248,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I tried to put the needs of our family first, but sometimes there were difficult choices to be made based on the situation at hand. I found myself forever juggling the needs of my children, my husband, my career, and myself, and I know sometimes my solutions were less than wonderful, but I always tried to do the best I could. Our kids are grown now, my career is over, my dear husband is still with me, and I'm still kicking, so I guess it turned out alright, but it wasn't always easy. Life is truly a balancing act.
QFT

My career, which I have spent the last 14 years building, has taken the back seat. It was doable when we were only two + the dog, but now with a baby it has become a real juggling act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships