Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,377,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I've noticed that most people can have a whole series of good relationships (or at least decent ones) and not come away from those relationships thinking they've gleaned any great insights into the opposite sex or the human condition.

But let someone have a few bad relationships, and suddenly they think they know The Truth. They suddenly know women are all shallow and materialistic. They suddenly know men are all players who get off on humiliating women. And so on. And they tend to get very militant about it. They feel some desperate need to spread their Truth to everyone else, and become angry and belligerent with those who question or disagree with them.

I am just curious as to why so many people seem to give so much more weight to bad experiences than to good ones.
Quite an interesting phenomenon actually.

I think it is a defense mechanism and a need for some kind of sense to their experience. At least, that is how it was for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,690,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
In my opinion, people in general don't necessarily focus on the negative experiences more, as there is unquantifiable amount of wisdom to learn from any type of experience, good or bad. Perhaps fixating on the bad experiences, allows a person to feel safer, because by keeping these experiences fresh it allows a person to avoid similar type experience from repeating itself in the future. Positive experiences can be analyzed, learned from ad stored away in memory banks, because their return would likely be welcome.

As for the truth, everyone has their own version of truth, and its all based on their own life experiences. Then, there is The Truth. Follow that, there is only one.
And lemme guess...you're the only one who is in possessions of this great Truth?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,171,496 times
The Truth is.....42.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,822,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
The Truth is.....42.
But what's the question?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,167,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is much easier to blame the lack of good relationships on the other party than admit to oneself that the other person is not the problem in the bad relationship or at least not the "entire" problem.
Being truthful with oneself is one road many choose not go wander.

I think it's a combination of this^. As well as some people just think that they know it all. They don't know how to have "healthy" relationships, so they think that nobody does. When you tell them otherwise, to them you must be lying or that there must be some other reason. In truth there's a lot of bitter people in life who choose to stay that way for whatever reason. Perhaps, it works for them, and they are comfortable in their little world of "I know everything about women, men, etc" b.s . It get's old! Newsflash, nobody knows everything about the other sex. Heck, the older I get, the less I know.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 11-20-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
But what's the question?
What is 7x6?

Duh!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,822,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
What is 7x6?

Duh!!!

According to the mice, it's "How many roads must a man walk down?"

Okay, I am letting my inner nerd show again, aren't I?

Just so I don't leave any non-nerds in the dark: Phrases from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I should apologize to the OP for the slight threadjack.

I really don't know why some people think they know the whole truth... I am curious too.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
According to the mice, it's "How many roads must a man walk down?"

Okay, I am letting my inner nerd show again, aren't I?

Just so I don't leave any non-nerds in the dark: Phrases from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh yeah, that too.

I guess this is a matter Of mice and Men.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,249,024 times
Because that is the truth. It's their truth.

I've used this example before, but what happens when you are in a car accident on a certain street that you take everyday? You find a different route. You do this, because you fear experiencing the same traumatic event. And regardless of that street not being any more accident prone than any other street, there is still that same fear.

People focus on the negative more, because that's what we don't want to experience again. The negative can be a good thing, because it teaches us. Conversely, it can be a bad thing, because we don't want to embark in different experiences. People who focus only on the positive might have a sunny disposition in life, but they are prone to be taken advantage of. There's a good and a bad to everything. It's okay to see the negative in things, because sometimes that makes the positive that much rewarding.

As always, the key is balance. I wouldn't want to be around someone who is always negative any more than I'd want to be around someone who is only positive.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,623,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And lemme guess...you're the only one who is in possessions of this great Truth?
No, im not the only one. There are other truth seekers out there, but it takes time and effort and it reveals itself only a bit at a time. It comes at a cost, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships