Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

Hiya!!

I'm in the very early stages of getting to know a guy who I met recently at a jazz festival. Ok here's the thing-all though we are both very attractive, we are totally physically opposites. He's tall and huge- maybe 6'4 and close to 400 lbs -built like a football player (the ones that are sometimes fat- not sure of the position) , he's a white guy, ginger hair, tons of tattoo's. I'm 5'9, black, very slim, fashionable, no tattoos-fairly conservative. He's a radio personality and I am a teacher.

Before anyone says "all that should matter is how he treats you yada yada' keep in mind we are still in the dating phase. Yes- he's nice so far and We both 'like' each other at this point. When we are out people seem intrigued. I'm pretty low key so all the attention is weird. For example My friends want to know how we will manage to have sex due to his size.

I know I shouldn't care what others think but...lol, if I saw a couple like us I'd be intrigued too. Have any of you ever been in a relationship where you 'odd couple'. What was your experience like and How did you handle questions/judgements from others? Any input is appreciated!

And please be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,452,717 times
Odd couple:

Me.........White, punk rock, mohawk, 18 hole DocMartins, leather jacket with sewn on patches, Windsor, Canada
Her........Black, Jazz/Soul, down to earth, liked to look good but not obsessed about it, really, really bad neighbourhood, Detroit.

Never got a hard time here in Canada. Maybe some odd looks, but I generally got that on my own with the mohawk. lol

Detroit...totally different story. At first I was met with some hostility in her neighbourhood. I must have been the only white guy within two miles. Most were perfectly accepting of me, some made it quite clear I wasn't welcome in the neighbourhood. I was obviously an oddity in the area. But, since I'm not a bad guy,and I wasn't being scared off, it wasn't long before we were all drinking beers on the porch and fixing eachothers cars, and making fun of eachother.

Her friends were also curious about the sex. Then they say "Really? That skinny white boy does?"

Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,027,117 times
For a short time I dated a black woman. She was 6'1 or 6'2, quite voluptuous, probably could have been a Lane Bryant model if she wanted to be. I'm white, 5'7 and at the time weight just 150. We'd go out and sometimes she'd even wear heels, so she towered over me. We got a few looks sometimes. I didn't care. I wasn't out to get anyone else's approval!

If you're into him and the feeling is mutual, run with it! You're 5'9 so that's tall for a woman, and inter racial couples are more and more common these days. His tats mixed with your self described conservative appearance just gives you both a dynamic appearance when you are together. Don't worry about being an "odd couple." Just worry about getting to know each other better and figuring out if you want to take it to the next level as a couple with him.

Have fun and love life!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:06 AM

11,401 posts, read 24,489,625 times
Sounds like you make a great pair, OP. Enjoy life and be happy.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,046,975 times
Are you sure this really looks that odd? I would think a 5'9 woman would compliment a 6'4 guy very well. Even if he is built very big and she very slim.

There is more of a height disparity between my wife and I. I am 6' even, she is 5' even. Yet, I do not think either of us thought it "odd."

I hope it works out well for you! Sounds like a great start!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 AM

458 posts, read 645,859 times
Meh
Doesn't really sound that odd to me, especially in the 21st century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Her friends were also curious about the sex. Then they say "Really? That skinny white boy does?"
WHAT!?!?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:17 AM

n/a posts
It doesn't seem that odd to me..
I mean the petite lady ends up with the husky guy...that's a stereotype, right?

But then again, maybe I'm a bad source.
My mom was a 5 foot petite American ginger and my father was a 6'3 black African when they met, married and had me...

This was back in the 90s...my mom has told me how she was shunned by some of her family, and how when they'd go out to eat...they'd routinely be served last. In this day, I doubt anyone would care...not like back then.

Glad I avoided that mess..

Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2014 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trycitysnob123 View Post
Hiya!!

I'm in the very early stages of getting to know a guy who I met recently at a jazz festival. Ok here's the thing-all though we are both very attractive, we are totally physically opposites. He's tall and huge- maybe 6'4 and close to 400 lbs -built like a football player (the ones that are sometimes fat- not sure of the position) , he's a white guy, ginger hair, tons of tattoo's. I'm 5'9, black, very slim, fashionable, no tattoos-fairly conservative. He's a radio personality and I am a teacher.

Before anyone says "all that should matter is how he treats you yada yada' keep in mind we are still in the dating phase. Yes- he's nice so far and We both 'like' each other at this point. When we are out people seem intrigued. I'm pretty low key so all the attention is weird. For example My friends want to know how we will manage to have sex due to his size.

I know I shouldn't care what others think but...lol, if I saw a couple like us I'd be intrigued too. Have any of you ever been in a relationship where you 'odd couple'. What was your experience like and How did you handle questions/judgements from others? Any input is appreciated!

And please be nice

I never cared about what others thought so that was never a consideration when I dated someone.
It made my life much less complicated to do what I wanted when I wanted with no explaination necessary to anyone since I am an adult who can and does make up my own mind about my life and how I live it.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Odd couple:

Me.........White, punk rock, mohawk, 18 hole DocMartins, leather jacket with sewn on patches, Windsor, Canada
Her........Black, Jazz/Soul, down to earth, liked to look good but not obsessed about it, really, really bad neighbourhood, Detroit.

Never got a hard time here in Canada. Maybe some odd looks, but I generally got that on my own with the mohawk. lol

Detroit...totally different story. At first I was met with some hostility in her neighbourhood. I must have been the only white guy within two miles. Most were perfectly accepting of me, some made it quite clear I wasn't welcome in the neighbourhood. I was obviously an oddity in the area. But, since I'm not a bad guy,and I wasn't being scared off, it wasn't long before we were all drinking beers on the porch and fixing eachothers cars, and making fun of eachother.

Are you two married? Do you come across any major challenges in your relationships due to your differences? What do your respective families say? Thanks!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I never cared about what others thought so that was never a consideration when I dated someone.
It made my life much less complicated to do what I wanted when I wanted with no explaination necessary to anyone since I am an adult who can and does make up my own mind about my life and how I live it.

I'm working on not caring. But change takes a while since I've been a pleaser all my life. In fact dating this guy is going to be a learning experience hopefully for the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships