Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 PM

113 posts, read 263,379 times

Advertisements

I - We, my husband and I - have a great relationship. Together 10 years, married 8 years. We hang out with other couples that have been together a while and still have a great relationship too. Are we a minority?...Lots of postings and threads are about negative relationship issues. Seldom, OK never do I see, I have a great marriage, and here is how it works !! I know there are others with equally as good marriages as we have. lets hear more from these folk ! maybe those of you who have not succeeded can draw insperation and guidence from this !! Rather than listen to those who can only empathise through the same experience !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
So, why not share some of your "positive" techniques, huh? (knudge, knudge.)

Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 PM

TRUST !! absolutely number one asset.......HONESTY....if you can't tell your partner what's on your mind then your dead in the water.... Ability to LISTEN (to the whole story) without intervention of opinion before your partner has finished.....

Is that a good start !?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 PM

As I don't seem able to edit the last post. I would like to add that my comments 'must' be a two way street.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
You've got to be able to laugh - at everything, especially yourselves

Old 09-26-2009, 12:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
I - We, my husband and I - have a great relationship. Together 10 years, married 8 years. We hang out with other couples that have been together a while and still have a great relationship too. Are we a minority?...Lots of postings and threads are about negative relationship issues. Seldom, OK never do I see, I have a great marriage, and here is how it works !! I know there are others with equally as good marriages as we have. lets hear more from these folk ! maybe those of you who have not succeeded can draw insperation and guidence from this !! Rather than listen to those who can only empathise through the same experience !!
Those who post on relationship forums have problems. (OK, you sane regulars, no stomping on me about that comment because you know very well what I mean!) There's an abundance of people out there in happy and fulfilling relationships but they don't post on these forums because they've no need to. You're NOT a minority - far from it!

Many of those such as you who are successful do contribute by offering advice but without necessarily giving "tips on a successful relationship" - but just by offering simple advice.

To those in the throes of despair about their current relationship being in shambles and who post sometimes out of sheer desperation, there actually is probably nothing more off-putting than somebody who bounces in and proclaims that, "oh, we're just hunky dory and this is how we do it!"

Negative news is always good fodder whether it be on prime time TV or on some forums.

Give what you can when you can, on this forum, to provide a glimmer of hope to those looking for it. Have fun with the idiots, tolerate the incessantly stupid and, best of all, know from reading so many of the threads that you are indeed blessed!

Old 09-26-2009, 12:41 AM

137 posts, read 233,464 times
Well, I was in a fulfilling, almost perfect relationship for 6 out of the almost 8 years. For those 6 years, since things were going more than ok, I felt no need to talk about it whatsoever

And yes, people only usually use the Internet and forums to post about the problems they have. I was checking out 'cheating' yesterday. Went to a female site, it stated..'all men are meant to cheat..hey, even Brad Pitt almost cheated on Angelina ...and she's Angelina!'. Then they stated how faithfull they, as women are. After which I went on a dude's site, where they stated that all women are...well, cheap, and that even Angelina was tempted to cheat on Brad Pitt...and he's Brad Pitt for pit's sake...after which stating how faithfull they are. This is no joke

So bottom line is, there are plenty of happy healthy marriages out there. TV and the net are never a good source of comparing to real life just like the OP said.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
I've never been married, but I know a lot of people with great relationships. We don't see many posts about it here, so thanks for lightening up the joint.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:04 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,420 times
You're the first person in a happy relationship to ask for advice.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,446 times
My thoughts...STAY POSITIVE!! As soon as one person in the relationship starts being negative then its hard to recover. Also, don't play the "I'm right you're wrong" games, it shouldn't have to come to that. Both people should just be at an understanding that there is a difference of opinion and move on. Simple as that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships