Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,473 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had to deal with a stalker or know anyone who has? How did you deal with it? Was there any resolution to the situation?

I was watching that new show on the ID Channel, Stalked, and it freaked me out. I've always been terrified of this because often the victim receives little to no help. On the episode tonite, the woman victim was victimized/stalked by her female next door neighboor. She and her family finally had to move to get away from the neighboor who was bent on destroying their lives, scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
There have been cases of stalking, celebrities and other people, and several Lifetime movies centered around the subject. Now there are anti-stalking laws and such, and laws have gotten tougher to crack down on stalking, but it's probably still pretty hard to stop. Generally the type of people who are into this behavior won't stop on their own. Yes it is scary.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
I have been stalked by two women (HEY, i was doing SOMETHING right!)

One, Followed me (In School) was waiting sitting on my car when I came out of class.

I was renting a house at the time, I got so that I was securing the gate, and got tired of phonecalls at 2 or 3 AM and changed my number.

She eventually tired of it. (Took months)

2nd... She even moved to where she 'heard' I had moved to (I had been there, but only a short wile)
-She called me to tell me she 'just happened' to move there' etc.
This was over a year after I had ,last seen her.

Fortunately I was elsewhere.... and didn't tell her where!

Doubt that helps

Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
My friend has been stalked by her ex-husband. There were (no longer) Orders of Protection which he violated and eventually did some jail time. There is a permanent no contact order out to keep him away from her and their son and his parental rights were cut. He still stalked her. While he was in prison, she changed her name, had all utilities/rents put into names of her family members, some of whom the ex didn't know as they were in a foreign country. When he got out of jail, he harrassed her family and friends to the point that she contacted her friends and said she would never again have contact with them as it would put both the friends and her in jeopardy (he threatened the friends with physical harm if they didn't reveal her location). She had to give up contact with his other children (step-children to her) that she had grown to love and to this day, she cries about it. It has been just a little under 20 years and she is still afraid for her and her son's safety. She is remarried, her son is an adult and took his non-bio father's last name. She has moved twice in the last 3 years fearing her ex was getting closer to finding her.

Being stalked is about as frightening as it gets.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,291 times
My tattoo artist had a guy who would steal her (dirty) underwear out of her hamper. He was a friend of her roomate and no one believed her. She went off on him and asked him why he was doing it (not really expecting a sane answer) He calmly said " I didn't. I'm definetly not doing that. Why do you think I'm doing that?" Evenually she moved away and it wasn't a problem anymore. I don't know if you consider that stalking really though.. hmm Other than that I don't know anyone who's had a stalker or stalkerish things happen to them.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,713 times
I was stalked by some creepy classmate. The way to get rid of them is to provide them no exciting fodder for their fantasy. Stonewalling them destroys their fantasy and then they have to move on to the next victim. Yay me! Of course this only works for people that don't know you well and who have no pre-existing relationship.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 AM

346 posts, read 967,829 times
My ex girlfriend has been stalked way more than she ever deserves. When she was in 6th grade there was a guy who used to go up to her bedroom window and look at her. Guys following her off the bus when she was in school. She's had a few customers at her workplace stalk her (do things like come into the store and just stand there looking at her). There's an ******* that lives up the street that stalks her too. And for a while these other *******s who we called the cops on for busting her car's window and stealing her purse. And her cousin who lives in the house she lives in was perving on her trying to see her naked a while back (he's about 30'ish).

I don't know why. Shes an attractive girl, and her personality makes her all the more attractive, but I still don't get why someone would stalk her (or anyone). She's been through a lot of **** in her life and really doesn't deserve a lot of what comes her way. Even after we have broken up I still want to play some role on her road to peace.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Yes, I have experience with it and filled out a police report and took him to court to secure a restraining order. In order to get one you must go to court and face the other person. He violated it and I filled out a police report and a warrent was issued for his arrest. The downside is, even with a warrent, they will not actively go in search of the person, but rather arrest them when or if they get stopped driving or something and they run the name through. A whole year had passed before he was arrested. Then you have to go to court again. So, I would get a restraining order as back-up, but you can't rely solely on that alone to help you.

Something that has been suggested is you change your routine everyday. If you have a set step by step pattern you go through everyday - it needs to be scrambled.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:29 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Yes, I was and am currently the victim of a psychotic person who will stop at nothing to get their way. The police don't do anything without evidence, though. Stonewalling them is hard when they know your every move.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,046 times
I was stalked by a coworker. I ended up quitting that job. I do not know why, but every time he came close to me my first thougt was "He looks and acts a lot like Ted Bundy"

It lasted 9 months. He got my phone number and made a lot of phone calls, I got a lot of hang ups from him. I quitted that awful job and never looked back.

I was terrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships