Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I kinda find it alarming that he maintained his cold stance when you broke down crying. Men usually fall for that stuff. The fact he called you out on crying and added names to it, might show you something about him. Women are gonna cry, especially after a big fight. And that's when we are supposed to back down a little instinctually and give in, some. Unless you did something really bad. LOL.

I think you acted somewhat immature for not just telling him what you wanted and building up steam that he did not read your mind. But his lack of empathy when you backed off and began crying is a bit alarming to me.
Interesting point. You might have something there. OP, how has he reacted during the smaller fights you two have had? Why have you had so many fights in the first year of being together, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,013,196 times
I think you are blaming yourself way too much.

Yes, it was immature to go quiet and sad. But when you spoke up and told him what was bothering you, he yelled at you and called you ridiculous and badly behaved. That was also incredibly immature and childish, of him. And it is probably part of why you didn't speak up sooner.

Now he is blaming you, and you are blaming yourself, and people here are blaming you. And no one is talking about him being equally at fault, which he was.

This is how abusive relationships start. They start with him saying it's all your fault and you accepting that. And they end with you in danger for your life.

Don't go down that road. Hold him accountable for his behaviour. Yelling, calling names, and blaming you for what he does are not acceptable.

Being upset with you when you don't communicate is ok, but he has to own that. HE is upset -- YOU did not make him upset. HE acted out in a childish way when he was upset. (And so did you.) You two can work together to learn to communicate in a healthier way, but that means he has to change, too. Not just you.

I suggest a Compassionate Communication class. They are free or extremely cheap, available all over, and awesome.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,334,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
I kinda find it alarming that he maintained his cold stance when you broke down crying. Men usually fall for that stuff. The fact he called you out on crying and added names to it, might show you something about him. Women are gonna cry, especially after a big fight. And that's when we are supposed to back down a little instinctually and give in, some. Unless you did something really bad. LOL.

I think you acted somewhat immature for not just telling him what you wanted and building up steam that he did not read your mind. But his lack of empathy when you backed off and began crying is a bit alarming to me.

It's also interesting that he's fine with telling her he needs space when she's already gonna be far away anyhow.

Do you suppose he could've been angling for an argument or a chance to put some distance between them?

I did think his continued cold behavior after one big fight when she was going to be going far away was a bit much. Surely he must've realized she might get emotional about spending Christmas apart?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,103,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think you are blaming yourself way too much.

Yes, it was immature to go quiet and sad. But when you spoke up and told him what was bothering you, he yelled at you and called you ridiculous and badly behaved. That was also incredibly immature and childish, of him. And it is probably part of why you didn't speak up sooner.

Now he is blaming you, and you are blaming yourself, and people here are blaming you. And no one is talking about him being equally at fault, which he was.

This is how abusive relationships start. They start with him saying it's all your fault and you accepting that. And they end with you in danger for your life.

We have one side of the story.

Who knows how many times this scenario has played out in their relationship? Who knows how these fights have started?

I don't see a ton of abusive behavior red flags in her OP.

I DO see a lot of bratty behavior red flags, though.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

We have one side of the story.

Who knows how many times this scenario has played out in their relationship? Who knows how these fights have started?

This is what I've been wondering. OP hasn't responded to my earlier question about the nature of their earlier fights, and why they fight so much.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,694,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive always said, you dont know someone, til you want to set them afire... (get in a fight)

its how you resolve a conflict that matters..
So true.

OP, you know, the mundane activities of life are a fact of life and will be part of any relationship. You still have to run errands, eat, shop, clean, pay bills, do your taxes, etc. Perhaps you could have told him that you wanted to spend some quality time alone with him doing whatever you wanted with him beforehand.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 PM

37 posts, read 42,822 times
I'm assuming he told you what he wanted to do, and you agreed, instead of telling him what you wanted to do. Then you acted like a child when you were doing what you both agreed to do.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but whether I'm at home or out shopping with my lady, I'm happy to be spending time with her and I consider every second quality time, so if she started acting like a child shouting at me about quality time, and asking me if I wanted to break up, I'd be insulted and pissed, especially if she was the one who wants to be away for 3 weeks.

You don't hang a break-up over someone's head as a passive threat to get what you want. Sure, be angry, have an argument, vent, whatever, but doing that shows a total lack of respect for your SO and your relationship, IMO.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM

I don't think asking someone if they want to break up is 'hanging a break-up over someone's head as a passive threat'. I read it as, she was asking if he was breaking up with her.

Which is generally not a good idea to ask during an argument, but is not a threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't either, yet. But I do see movement in that direction, especially in the aftermath.

Quote:
I DO see a lot of bratty behavior red flags, though.
From him and from her, yes.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 PM

37 posts, read 42,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I don't think asking someone if they want to break up is 'hanging a break-up over someone's head as a passive threat'. I read it as, she was asking if he was breaking up with her.
I understand what you mean when it comes to certain situations. Say he hasn't called her in a few weeks or is constantly all over other women, but in this situation she was passive-aggressively threatening him.

They are out shopping, which she clearly greed to, acts childishly, then when he calls her on it she asks him if he wants to break up, out of no where. She was either trying to manipulate him to do what she wanted to do in the first place or trying to make him feel bad for letting her know that she was being ridiculous.

Did he overreact? Maybe. I don't know that I'd throw an otherwise awesome relationship out over it, but I would definitely make it clear that I don't expect someone that I love to question our relationship over something as mundane as going shopping before she left town. I mean, really, of all the things in the world to even argue about...

Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign1 View Post
They are out shopping, which she clearly greed to, acts childishly, then when he calls her on it she asks him if he wants to break up, out of no where.
It wasn't out of nowhere.

She acted childishly, then she womanned up and told him why she was upset, then he yelled at her and called her names, then they had a screaming fight, and then she asked him if a breakup was what he wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships