Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

In my family, people married and had children while they were young, so our generations are spaced about 20 years apart. Consequently, I grew up with all my grandparents and several great-grandparents. I used to race my grandfather to the mailbox on the corner of their street, and he helped teach me to drive. My grandmother was 40 when I was born, and I have many happy memories of being with them as active, fun-loving people. My children know all their grandparents and great-grandparents on my side, except for my maternal grandfather who passed away nearly 10 years ago. My husband's family is much older, and the only one our daughters knew (ours are the eldest grandchildren) was his grandfather, who was in his late 80s and died when they were still small. Our son never met him, nor did any of the other great-grandchildren. My grandparents were still in their late 60s at the time.

My husband and I are 40, and our girls are 16 and 17. Men can sire children in their 50s and even 60s and later, but I would not like to be pushing 80 when my child graduated from high school. Maybe they don't care about that, or the fact that their children won't know their grandparents or have that family history. Maybe they don't worry about taking care of an infant in a time when most other people are planning for retirement. Maybe that's the wife's job in their eyes, or the nanny's, I don't know. It's just very, very different from the life I grew up with or the one I would want for my family.

Last edited by JustJulia; 01-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: fixed error

Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In my family, people married and had children while they were young, so our generations are spaced about 20 years apart. Consequently, I grew up with all my grandparents and several great-grandparents. I used to race my grandfather to the mailbox on the corner of their street, and he helped teach me to drive. My grandmother was 40 when I was born, and I have many happy memories of being with them as active, fun-loving people. My children know all their grandparents and great-grandparents on my side, except for my maternal grandfather who passed away nearly 10 years ago. My husband's family is much older, and the only one our daughters knew (ours are the eldest grandchildren) was his grandfather, who was in his late 80s and died when they were still small. Our son never met him, nor did any of the other great-grandchildren. My grandparents were still in their mid-60s at the time.

My husband and I are 40, and our girls are 16 and 17. Men can sire children in their 50s and even 60s and later, but I would not like to be pushing 80 when my child graduated from high school. Maybe they don't care about that, or the fact that their children won't know their grandparents or have that family history. Maybe they don't worry about taking care of an infant in a time when most other people are planning for retirement. Maybe that's the wife's job in their eyes, or the nanny's, I don't know. It's just very, very different from the life I grew up with or the one I would want for my family.

Not much on an advocate for May and December. May-June or July. When May-August romances become more common things are already showing signs of economic disintegration.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:06 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
If it's any consolidation to older women, older guys who end up dating young girls rarely last in a meaningful relationship. Once she starts to mature...the game is over leaving the poor old bastard to seek another young'n; repeating the vicious cycle

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In my family, people married and had children while they were young, so our generations are spaced about 20 years apart. Consequently, I grew up with all my grandparents and several great-grandparents. I used to race my grandfather to the mailbox on the corner of their street, and he helped teach me to drive. My grandmother was 40 when I was born, and I have many happy memories of being with them as active, fun-loving people. My children know all their grandparents and great-grandparents on my side, except for my maternal grandfather who passed away nearly 10 years ago. My husband's family is much older, and the only one our daughters knew (ours are the eldest grandchildren) was his grandfather, who was in his late 80s and died when they were still small. Our son never met him, nor did any of the other great-grandchildren. My grandparents were still in their late 60s at the time.

See, three of my four grandparents were dead when I was born. The other died when I was in elementary school. Never really missed them. Not having grandparents really isn't a big deal in all honesty.

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I had a similar epiphany being around undergrads as a grad student. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I had way more success with attractive 20-to-22-year-olds as a 28-to-32-year-old than I did when I was their age. For me it had nothing to do with financial resources (I had none, unless you count student loans), and everything to do with wisdom from years of experience.
Oh I agree is was mostly just having more experience. However being able to buy a whole chicken instead of a bag of leg and thighs did allow me to put it to a little more use. Wish I knew then what I know now about wild food.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
[/b]

No, Whyrallnamestaken, I think you've misunderstood me. My main reason for saying that women should do their best to stay fit is FOR THEMSELVES. I personally think women spend far too much time worrying about snagging a man and far too little time enjoying themselves, enjoying friends and family, and enjoying their lives.

And I KNOW that a lot of men aren't in shape or attractive. That's what cracks me up most about these boards. The hypocrisy is amazing. But I can't change men's attitudes. I can only control my attitude, my life, how I choose to live it, and how I choose to feel about myself. Oh, and you're correct: as a fit woman, I would not be interested in a significantly overweight, slovenly, couch-potato guy. Never.
I have always enjoyed keeping active and not constantly focused on meeting men. I noticed a change once I was over 40. Knowing I looked young for my age should be a plus but that has not always been the case.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If it's any consolidation to older women, older guys who end up dating young girls rarely last in a meaningful relationship. Once she starts to mature...the game is over leaving the poor old bastard to seek another young'n; repeating the vicious cycle

I disagree, there's a lot if factors to take into consideration like the age difference, life stage, personal circumstances, why you're together, money? Love? etc etc, if you're in a relationship with someone you've taken time to get to know and are truly inlove then the age difference should not matter or come into play at all.

I believe age is only a number and if it's true love then you do what you can to make it work

Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elained10 View Post
I disagree,there's a lot if factors to take into consideration like the age difference, life stage, personal circumstances, why you're together, money? Love? etc etc, if you're in a relationship with someone you've taken time to get to know and are truly inlove then the age difference should not matter or come into play at all.

I believe age is only a number and if it's true love then you do what you can to make it work
I agree with the bolded about age differences, but if an older man is always chasing younger ones, it's not about true love, it's about her age.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with the bolded about age differences, but if an older man is always chasing younger ones, it's not about true love, it's about her age.
That's maybe just his type though like some men prefer brunettes some red heads it's just a personal preference unless they are creepy of course

Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
I have always preferred older men. I wonder if I am perceived as a loser? No, probably just a gold-digger.... LOL... Everyone is a stereotype here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships