Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by technev View Post
Problem is, some people (like me, for example) are considered good-looking in the non-western sense but ugly because we don't fit into western framework of beauty. Fair or not, it is a reality for some of us. That sucks.
I don't fit into the western sense of beauty either, as I'm not white. That's something I had to contend with growing up and yes it's tough but not impossible to overcome. How else did I end up with a white guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
What the heck are you talking about, buddy?

I thought ALL males are considered ugly!! At least to most of us heterosexual males! LOL!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
There's tons of guys. Like this guy. Random pic from Google.

http://afewminuteswith.files.wordpre...puter-nerd.jpg

He's not hideous or deformed. He's in fact, perfectly normal looking. A guy like that would just not be attractive to women in general. Even his own.

If he really did up his hair and got cool glasses and cool clothes, could he attract a woman? I dunno. Maybe, maybe not.

But the point stands that almost all women would not find him physically attractive so he'd have to approach the game in another way.
How is he approaching people? Does he speak well? Is he warm and inviting, or cold and creepy? Does he smell funny? Does he show a genuine interest in the people he speaks to? Or is he self-centered? What are his grooming habits like?

There is a lot more to people than immediately deciding they are a no based entirely on looks alone. Yes, he is perfectly normal looking. There's nothing wrong with his hair or glasses. But he looks like he might be at work, so what is he like outside of work? A picture might be a thousand words but your actions will always speak louder.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
How is he approaching people? Does he speak well? Is he warm and inviting, or cold and creepy? Does he smell funny? Does he show a genuine interest in the people he speaks to? Or is he self-centered? What are his grooming habits like?

There is a lot more to people than immediately deciding they are a no based entirely on looks alone. Yes, he is perfectly normal looking. There's nothing wrong with his hair or glasses. But he looks like he might be at work, so what is he like outside of work? A picture might be a thousand words but your actions will always speak louder.
None of that matters if the bottom line looks are not there. It's what I've been saying forever. A woman could think he is the coolest guy ever and no dice. She's known she won't date him from 90 seconds in.

So, what such guys have to do is go around until they get a maybe from a woman, and then pounce on it. There's still a high chance of rejection after that but at least it's not immediate rejection.

I estimate 'maybe' women comprise 5-10% of the population. So men who cannot attract women need to go for them. So, if you make your interest known ASAP, you'll get a whole crapload of nos and then a maybe every now and then.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Attitude is also everything. If you're going to go out there with the attitude that you suck and are hella ugly, don't expect women to think you're dashingly interesting. I have seen less than average men and average looking men have girlfriends while their more attractive counterparts spent their weekends alone.

Maybe it's also an age thing too, as I'm a bit older. A lot of younger women haven't learned the lost art of Getting Over Themselves.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Attitude is also everything. If you're going to go out there with the attitude that you suck and are hella ugly, don't expect women to think you're dashingly interesting. I have seen less than average men and average looking men have girlfriends while their more attractive counterparts spent their weekends alone.

Maybe it's also an age thing too, as I'm a bit older. A lot of younger women haven't learned the lost art of Getting Over Themselves.
Nobody goes out there thinking they are ugly as sh@t.

As I said before, I don't think most of the guys who can't attract women are ugly or think they are ugly.

There are thousands upon thousands of men who have never been called handsome or hot by a woman. Women just have a pretty high standard when it comes to men they find physically attractive.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Nobody goes out there thinking they are ugly as sh@t.

As I said before, I don't think most of the guys who can't attract women are ugly or think they are ugly.

There are thousands upon thousands of men who have never been called handsome or hot by a woman. Women just have a pretty high standard when it comes to men they find physically attractive.
Yeah, tons of men figure they're ugly because women typically don't give out physical compliments to a guy unless they are dating or in a relationship.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM

377 posts, read 620,158 times
Quote:
What is up with these "I'm so ugly" threads? Do people really believe they are SO unattractive they can't ever meet anyone? Pics or you're not ugly.
This is silly. Even if any of the less than attractive members of this forum were bold enough to post their picture, no one would respond outright and admit that they are indeed ugly.

The fact you think that all people who are convinced they are ugly is the result of low self-esteem shows how fundamentally disconnected from reality you really are. Of course, it's highly possible in that only attractive men really exist in that myopic bubble of yours, and the vast majority of other men are practically invisible, not unlike most women. It's quite easy to see how you can be so baffled that there exists men who are universally undesirable to women.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:35 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
This is silly. Even if any of the less than attractive members of this forum were bold enough to post their picture, no one would respond outright and admit that they are indeed ugly.

The fact you think that all people who are convinced they are ugly is the result of low self-esteem shows how fundamentally disconnected from reality you really are. Of course, it's highly possible in that only attractive men really exist in that myopic bubble of yours, and the vast majority of other men are practically invisible, not unlike most women. It's quite easy to see how you can be so baffled that there exists men who are universally undesirable to women.
Many men think they are ugly and they really aren't. Beauty is in the opinion of each individual.
I had dates where they were handsome to me, but friends and family didn't find they attractive.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM

377 posts, read 620,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Many men think they are ugly and they really aren't. Beauty is in the opinion of each individual.
I had dates where they were handsome to me, but friends and family didn't find they attractive.
That only applies once a certain cut-off has been surpassed in terms of looks. Even though you'll likely refuse to admit it, but I'd wager that you have seen men that you, your friends, and practically all other women would unanimously agree are physically repulsive. Your friends didn't say your dates were outright unattractive and that you're crazy for being into them, did they?

The concept of looks being relative is a cliche and only partially true at best. Contrary to this extremely simplistic but cherished worldview, the fact remains that there really are physical qualities that transcend preference. Very few women in the world will be attracted to a man with an extremely asymmetric face, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships