Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,955,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
She might be hanging around you a lot because you're her "superior" in a sense. She's probably looking to you on how to direct her and she may also be nervous. Hence why she's even around you on breaks. Keep in mind, people from other cultures have different ideas of personal space so hers may not be as stringent as the typical North American's view.
This is likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,710,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastdude View Post
I just think its really weird. Maybe this belongs somewhere else on here but I've always felt that if I keep making physical contact with a girl it means she likes me.
Do you like her now? If you do, did you like her even before all the physical contact?

I'm very curious...

Old 01-26-2014, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 7,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Do you like her now? If you do, did you like her even before all the physical contact?

I'm very curious...
I'm on the fence. Doing this kind of thing has probably made me more attracted to her as I would probably never give her a second glace if she wasn't doing this. I would probably go for her if it didn't requite a lot of work, was short term, and wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass. I can tell you I don't really want to date her or "pursue" her.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 AM

678 posts, read 1,068,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Puzzled why her race was brought up, especially in the thread title.

No, it's not.
Do you not seriously not know this? Personal space certainly does vary from culture to culture which might be the reason why she stands so close. Personal space in Latin America is much closer than the US, it has nothing to do with her race, it has everything to do with her culture.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
If it's bothering you why not just tell her? Who cares if it's cultural? She's living in America where we have "personal space", SHE needs to accept that things are different here. I really get tired of Americans being expected to conform to others when THEY are the ones who came here and should conform to OUR ways! Next time she does that just be like "Can you give me a little personal space, please?".
I don't really care I just think its weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Puzzled why her race was brought up, especially in the thread title.

No, it's not.
I didn't bring up her "race" I brought up her culture which if you've read the other comments seems to be important here. She's not native to my culture and I am a little confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Do you work for a fairly large company? Go immediately to your personnel people and tell them what is going on and ask them to reassign her to someone else. You are CRUISING for a sexual harassment allegation even though none of this appears to be your fault. She may not be this innocent not understanding personal space woman that you think she is. She is harassing you and you need to take this seriously before you lose your job. All men and women understand the language of what is going on when a woman is getting so close that you are brushing up against her breast.
I work part time at a little shop. I have a full time job somewhere else where I would be worried about that. I'm sure if I were to complain to the people above me something would happen because I'm the one being made "uncomfortable". At the same time we all know each other really well and people know what's going on.

Thanks but I'm certain there is no way I could lose my job (that isn't even that great) because she's bumping into me. If I worked somewhere else maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
If YOU are interested in her then simply ask her out after work? If she's not into you, she'll run the other way. Problem solved!
I'm on the fence. I'm at the point where I don't want to put all the effort in and go for her the same way I'd go for someone I'm really interested in but I'm totally fine with something happening. I might start flirting with her a bit.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM

102,308 posts, read 108,461,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Do you work for a fairly large company? Go immediately to your personnel people and tell them what is going on and ask them to reassign her to someone else. You are CRUISING for a sexual harassment allegation even though none of this appears to be your fault. She may not be this innocent not understanding personal space woman that you think she is. She is harassing you and you need to take this seriously before you lose your job. All men and women understand the language of what is going on when a woman is getting so close that you are brushing up against her breast.
Yes, this is what I thought. You should tell your human resources people that she's being inappropriately close to you, and that it has caused awkward problems for you. Make it clear to them you don't want all this attention from her, and that she crowds you to the point that you accidentally bump into her regularly. You need to get your side of the story on record, in case she decides to make a complaint for any reason. (Feels rebuffed by you, gets into a control trip, wants revenge for any reason real or perceived)

You CANNOT let this slide, and just ignore it! Things like this have a way of suddenly taking off in an unexpected direction and spinning out of control.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,600,550 times
Having met several people from Central and South America I can confirm that they do tend to have a cultural lack of personal space. They seem to all be right up in your face and climbing in your lap. They are very friendly and warm people. I would suspect that your co-worker is not aware that she is intruding on your space. For her is is probably just very natural and normal and not at all some sort of sexual advance.

She might need someone to very kindly explain to her about boundaries and personal space in our culture though.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Alright so now she has asked me to dinner. I'm going to take that as a sign she likes me.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 PM

11,409 posts, read 9,333,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
Do you not seriously not know this? Personal space certainly does vary from culture to culture which might be the reason why she stands so close. Personal space in Latin America is much closer than the US, it has nothing to do with her race, it has everything to do with her culture.
No need for the insult/talk down to me.

What got lost is a person could be the clingy type regardless where she is from. I thought it was obvious what I meant but apparently it wasn't.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,710,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastdude View Post
I'm on the fence. Doing this kind of thing has probably made me more attracted to her as I would probably never give her a second glace if she wasn't doing this. I would probably go for her if it didn't requite a lot of work, was short term, and wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass. I can tell you I don't really want to date her or "pursue" her.
Oh. Well, then I say leave it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships