Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,527,471 times

Advertisements

Having a profile is all about first impressions. If you were meeting someone in person, would the first things out of your mouth be, I don't want someone who is about drama, cheats, doesn't have a job, doesn't take care of his kids blah blah blah? More than likely it would not. I understand why some people do it, because they think they are being upfront and don't want to meet someone who was bad to them before, but this isn't the way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,116,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Having a profile is all about first impressions. If you were meeting someone in person, would the first things out of your mouth be, I don't want someone who is about drama, cheats, doesn't have a job, doesn't take care of his kids blah blah blah? More than likely it would not. I understand why some people do it, because they think they are being upfront and don't want to meet someone who was bad to them before, but this isn't the way to do it.

Exactly correct. It reflects very poorly on the person posting that stuff in the profile. In some ways it is good because I know not to message those people.

I always wondered why places like OKC don't have a message filter/blocker that prevents people that have certain attributes (children or smoking for example) from even messaging someone that wants to screen that out. Even ages ranges. It would be easy to set that up.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,437,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Is any guy going to read it and say, "Well, yeah, I am a hurtful and jealous person...so I won't message you."

That sentence achieved absolutely nothing.
Actually people are sometimes aware of their own faults internally even if they do not admit them to others. So a sentence like the one you describe could save a lot of time - theirs and hers.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 AM

663 posts, read 780,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Actually people are sometimes aware of their own faults internally even if they do not admit them to others. So a sentence like the one you describe could save a lot of time - theirs and hers.

Well sure you will get a small amount of guys who are aware of their own faults but you will get a larger number of guys who are actually "douches" and will try to message her for a sport.

Don't message me if you are a player. lol the players reading this will more likely try to message you as a sport.

Is a player going to read it and tell himself, "yep, im a horrible person and a player and a douche. I cannot message you."

Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,710,725 times
It would be wonderful idea if it would work, lol!

Unfortunately they smell weak blood and attack!!! In disguise!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,616,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I wish there was a way to know right off the bat if they were SINGLE (had a run-in with a married pig who hid it at first), child free, disease free, religion free, and cigarette free. So, yes...I would like to know that right up front. Even new female acquaintances...I would like to know right up front if they have kids or are religious. No thanks to either.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:39 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,437,521 times
Quote:
Don't message me if you are a player. lol the players reading this will more likely try to message you as a sport.
I am not sure that is true. But even if it is - your OP asked what the rationale behind such things are - not how effective it is. You might not believe it an effective approach - but you did not ask was it an effective approach. You asked what the "reasoning" was for doing it.

Actually "players" who want to sleep around etc will be looking for "easy targets". A sentence like the one you describe could easily alert a player to the fact this person is likely not so easy to play.

But by your rationale - why express any desire at all as to what kind of partner you are looking for? Because no matter what desire you express - someone could just be the opposite and play you anyway.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:53 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,299,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I am not sure that is true. But even if it is - your OP asked what the rationale behind such things are - not how effective it is. You might not believe it an effective approach - but you did not ask was it an effective approach. You asked what the "reasoning" was for doing it.

Actually "players" who want to sleep around etc will be looking for "easy targets". A sentence like the one you describe could easily alert a player to the fact this person is likely not so easy to play.

But by your rationale - why express any desire at all as to what kind of partner you are looking for? Because no matter what desire you express - someone could just be the opposite and play you anyway.
I also see those posts as making a guy/girl work too hard to please you. It just comes off as a test. Well, they passed this test, maybe they'll fail the next one so I won't get hurt by them. In the end, it seems that all you're doing is wanting people to fail. Your ultimate goal comes off as wanting to be single, instead of wanting to be in a relationship.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,462,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Women aren't the only ones...I've seen guys do it too.
As have I. I remember one whose profile started with a statement about not messaging him if you were a "fatty" because he only wanted to meet those who were HWP. Which he was not. He went on to say he hated the gym and was looking for someone who would help him get into shape.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,809,577 times
Quote:

Yep. All it says is "I'm more vulnerable to the games played by players". Might as well paint a target on your forehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships