Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Let's take a scenario where due to poor economic conditions (like today), a lot of men cannot find stable employment until they are into their late 20's. They are educated and have work experience, but are struggling. By the time they are in their early to mid-30's, they are more financially stable and have established careers. Suppose these same men want to get married (religious or non-religious tradition) and have children.

This to most people, would be a considerable age gap. Assume the average age gap is 7 years. For the men-- if you were 30-35, would you be okay with this? Would it bother you to marry a woman who might be more than 8 years your junior? For the women, if you were 22-28 would this bother you? What if the man in question was 35, and you were 25?

Btw-- I am not starting this thread to incite a gender war or anti/pro-marriage debate. I'd like to actually hear what people have to say, as I've met a few people in real life who share these views but believe there's a stigma (aka "oh he has jail bait/she's just a gold digger").
From a woman's point of view, most 25 year old women simply don't see 35 year old men as attractive...they prefer men closer to their own age. That is why the scenario you propose doesn't happen more often. There are exceptions of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
From a woman's point of view, most 25 year old women simply don't see 35 year old men as attractive...they prefer men closer to their own age. That is why the scenario you propose doesn't happen more often. There are exceptions of course.
Fair point. What in particular isn't attractive about them? I can understand a 20 year old looking at a 35 year old guy and thinking "eww old person." Why wouldn't a 25 year old find a 35 year old man attractive if he was indeed physically attractive?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Age related factors play into compatibility though in the long term though.

Age related factors DEFINITELY play into compatibility.

But, considering that most divorces occur in marriages with a small age gap, I would say that there are other elements that determine long-term compatibility equally, if not more, than does a larger-than-usual age gap.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
My uncle married a woman who was 11 years his junior. He loved having a younger, hotter SAH wife... until he was ready to retire and qualified for medicare... and discovered he was going to have to pay a small fortune to pay for her health insurance.

She used to tease him all the time about how "You didn't think about that when you decided to marry a hot young thing, did you?"

Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Age wouldn't bother me as much as her maturity level. If she's 27 but acting 17 no thank you.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
What about love?
Exactly. This sounds like an arranged marriage scenario.

This sounds like another guy pretending that women all love much older men because of the financial stability which is a huge myth. Most women work so they don't need a man to support them. There's nothing wrong with marrying someone older/younger (with BOTH sexes)as long as that's not why they are marrying. So many men I saw on dating sites wanted younger and they wanted younger not for love but for very bizarre reasons.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Who the hell cares? Marry for love and compatability.

Age matters more to some than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships