Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 05:12 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,460,153 times

Advertisements

Science, ladies and gentlemen, science.

It's harder for WOMEN to lose weight than men | Mail Online

Weight-Loss Wars: Men vs. Women

The weight loss debate: Do men really shed pounds faster than women? - Herald-Mail

Do Men Lose Weight Differently Than Women? | Blog

And I just want to say, that the conversation at this point is all theoretical - I'm not mooning over this guy or hoping he will change his mind.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,120,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Science, ladies and gentlemen, science.

It's harder for WOMEN to lose weight than men | Mail Online

Weight-Loss Wars: Men vs. Women

The weight loss debate: Do men really shed pounds faster than women? - Herald-Mail

Do Men Lose Weight Differently Than Women? | Blog

And I just want to say, that the conversation at this point is all theoretical - I'm not mooning over this guy or hoping he will change his mind.

Fine. It is harder. So what? What is your point? It is harder for me to lose weight than some other men too, and I lose it easier than some me. So what?

If you have to work harder, you work harder. You eat less and/or differently. The weight still might come of slower so it takes longer. You just do it. No excuses.

It is a simple equation really. Burn more calories than you take in. I can't/don't really drink anymore, I don't eat any sweets (muffins, candy, doughnuts, anything), don't drink any soda. I can't do those things anymore. It's a choice. Make it or not.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,050,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
An object at rest (zzz...)
Tends to remain at rest (zzz...)
Touché! Well played.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fine. It is harder. So what? What is your point? It is harder for me to lose weight than some other men too, and I lose it easier than some me. So what?

If you have to work harder, you work harder. You eat less and/or differently. The weight still might come of slower so it takes longer. You just do it. No excuses.

It is a simple equation really. Burn more calories than you take in. You clearly didn't read any of the articles.I can't/don't really drink anymore, I don't eat any sweets (muffins, candy, doughnuts, anything), don't drink any soda. I can't do those things anymore. It's a choice. Make it or not.

My POINT was that the minute a woman mentions anything about being overweight, dozens of people (usually men) will jump in to point out how easy or simple it is to lose weight - all she needs to do is XYZ. When the reality is that men's and women's bodies are COMPLETELY different, as well as our lifestyles and time availability, especially when you factor in having and raising children.

And then there is the assumption that the woman should be losing weight. What if I the scenario had been the guy didn't like me because he thought I was too fat, but I was perfectly happy with my size? I still would have had certain posters telling me I needed to lose weight so I could look acceptable to men.

It is a disheartening, neverending loop that most women deal with every day (you would look better if you just did XYZ!) that most men cannot fathom.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,067,739 times
What you're attracted to doesn't always nor does it have to mimic what you are yourself. That said, I do think there's a difference between true preference and prejudice/being shallow.

Preference:
"I'm not attracted to heavy women."

Prejudice:
"Heavy women are unattractive and I don't see how anyone could be attracted to that unless they're desperate. I'd never date a heavy woman because they're all lazy pigs who obviously don't care about themselves and they have the nerve to think that any man who could get a 10 would even look twice at their disgusting forms. Then they cry that they're lonely. Boo hoo, fatty, why don't you put down the cheeseburger for a minute and maybe you'll get a man."

Men are often called shallow about rejecting women who are overweight because it's rarely just a legitimate preference, they go one step farther and have all of these negative preconceptions about women who are overweight, ridiculing, mocking, and devaluing them as human beings just because of size - something potentially transient having nothing at all to do with who you are as a person. That's plenty shallow, mates. Might as well call someone garbage because their hair is brown.

There's also gender prejudice in the trend of so many men expecting women to be in better shape than they are. As the joke goes, women are fat, men are just men. So I think a heavy guy who thinks it's fine for him to be heavy yet insists that women shouldn't let themselves go is being a biased wad.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,393,076 times
My sentiments exactly, cyber!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
My POINT was that the minute a woman mentions anything about being overweight, dozens of people (usually men) will jump in to point out how easy or simple it is to lose weight - all she needs to do is XYZ. When the reality is that men's and women's bodies are COMPLETELY different, as well as our lifestyles and time availability, especially when you factor in having and raising children.

So, are you actually saying if you burn more calories than you consume you will NOT lose weight? Seriously, are you telling me this?

You will not find a real nutritionist/physician out there that will back that.

If you're happy and content being overweight that is fine. I wasn't. But hey, good for you. Just understand that limits you're dating pool and embrace that.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 PM

I've looked at all four of those simple pop articles. There is nothing in them not known. It is harder for women to lose weight. They do it differently. There is some differences in physiology between men and women (anyone with an intro to anatomy and physiology course knows this).

Completely irrelevant. Burn more calories than you consume. Change diet. Reduce caloric intake. If you can, exercise more. Simple (not easy). Keeping track of everything you eat and drink really does open one's eyes. I only had to do it for 6 mos or so to really shift my eating habits.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,050,988 times
Quote:
So, are you actually saying if you burn more calories than you consume you will NOT lose weight? Seriously, are you telling me this?

You will not find a real nutritionist/physician out there that will back that.

If you're happy and content being overweight that is fine. I wasn't. But hey, good for you. Just understand that limits you're dating pool and embrace that.
I can't speak for her, but I think her point is it is not as "easy" or "simple" for everyone to burn more calories than they consume as some claim it is. At the end of the day it is a simple concept, but not everyone can execute as easily as others.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I've looked at all four of those simple pop articles. There is nothing in them not known. It is harder for women to lose weight. They do it differently. There is some differences in physiology between men and women (anyone with an intro to anatomy and physiology course knows this).

Completely irrelevant. Burn more calories than you consume. Change diet. Reduce caloric intake. If you can, exercise more. Simple (not easy). Keeping track of everything you eat and drink really does open one's eyes. I only had to do it for 6 mos or so to really shift my eating habits.
Way to miss the point. Nevermind. When you are actually in a woman's body you can get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships