Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 7,777 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we have this person who's been working at my company for over a year. We get along great, but lately we've been finding ourselves doing things together outside work. I'm terrible at reading the fairer sex, so I could use some help here to see if any of you think she's in to me and if it's worth me taking the plunge and asking her out. I'll get to the twist in a second.

When I bought a house, she said a few times jokingly that she's going to stalk me at my new house. At least I hope she was kidding Although to be honest, if I did see her car outside, I'd be the happiest guy alive.. Unless she's walking up to my door with a knife in her hand. I tried to be clever in a text to her a few days ago saying if she's ever in the neighborhood stalking me and wants to warm up, feel free to stop on by. Basically saying "Hey if you wanna hang out sometime..." Probably dumb, but I did it, can't be undone. And it was party of an ongoing conversation, so I didn't just up and text her out of the blue. That'd be weird..........

I believe she has admitted to Facebook stalking me once.. I'm starting to think I should be a little worried about all this stalking she's talked about...

She expressed interest in joining the same gym I go to. I brought her to a "bring a friend" event we had, and she eventually signed up. Now we're gym buddies and always go together. Her idea, I might add.

It seems to me that she tends to go out of her way to talk to me, almost as much as I do to her. Problem is she is difficult to read; sometimes I think she's interested, other times she seems less than enthusiastic to see me, even if we're running into each other in the hall, or if she's coming to me about something. But overall she's quite friendly, and I enjoy spending what little time we have together with her.

So lets add in the twist: I'm upper management!!! We're a small company, so we all have to work together as equals, so I don't see myself as anything much more than a regular grunt like everyone else. They just happened to put "manager" in my title. Either way I know this could be disastrous, but it's really starting to eat me up. It's affecting my appetite and my sleep (I wake up and start thinking about her). I'm a bit shy and very introverted, so I've gone through most of my adult life alone and by myself, with a very bad relationship in my early 20's that left a bad taste in my mouth for way too many years. But it's starting to get old. It's not often I develop feelings for someone like this, so it's really throwing me a curve ball, and I feel I need to act on it or my head will explode. We seem to have similar personality traits and interests, so I'm really considering taking the plunge and see what happens, fully aware of what could happen if things go south.... If I do I need to find a time when it's just us, outside of work, as I don't want to ask her about any of it while we're working.

I know all the advise out there says "DON'T DO IT!!!!", but I also feel I have to try, consequences be damned. I'm not getting any younger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,998,190 times
She thinks you're gay.

Especially if you format your emails at work like your posts on CD.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:23 PM

Wow, that's constructive and helpful, thanks.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
How would you know if she's cozying up to you because you're mgmt, and she may be positioning herself to get you to promote her or something, or if she's sincere (no ulterior motive)?

Stalking jokes aren't funny. That wasn't appropriate, imo. Of all the jokes she could have made to indicate interest, that was a very poor choice.

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about the combination of her stalking joke and her wanting to join the same gym as you and attend with you. I'd play it cool for awhile, if I were you, and just observe her behavior and words. This could have "train wreck" written all over it, and not just because you're management. You need to figure out if she's stable, and doesn't have a wack-o side to her.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Here's an answer ... DON'T... with a twist ...

NEVER DO IT.

Don't. Seriously. Get over it. Stop rationalizing it. It's an epically bad idea.

Are you at work now writing this?? STOP!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,218,140 times
If you care about this job, just be professional with her.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would you know if she's cozying up to you because you're mgmt, and she may be positioning herself to get you to promote her or something, or if she's sincere (no ulterior motive)?

Stalking jokes aren't funny. That wasn't appropriate, imo. Of all the jokes she could have made to indicate interest, that was a very poor choice.

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about the combination of her stalking joke and her wanting to join the same gym as you and attend with you. I'd play it cool for awhile, if I were you, and just observe her behavior and words. This could have "train wreck" written all over it, and not just because you're management. You need to figure out if she's stable, and doesn't have a wack-o side to her.
I would have to say if there is interest it's sincere. She doesn't work in my department so there's no chance of me promoting her to anything.

Stalking jokes were a bit odd, but only made once or twice. But I do look out my windows often

Old 02-05-2014, 03:01 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Just curious: can you think of any reason why her interest in you has been piqued only recently, after being on the job in your vicinity for a year? Just trying to see if we can pick up any more clues about her.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just curious: can you think of any reason why her interest in you has been piqued only recently, after being on the job in your vicinity for a year? Just trying to see if we can pick up any more clues about her.
No, not really. It hasn't really been THAT fast; more of a slow boil. The gym thing happened around mid-summer, with her signing up late fall/early winter. It wasn't until a few weeks ago we were able to start going there together, mostly for personal reasons on my part (moving, damn winter colds, etc..) and she was in the "beginners" program at first. My interest in her seems to have spiked recently, however.

We're both kind of awkward ducks which has made this harder to feel out.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 PM

643 posts, read 918,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
She thinks you're gay.

Especially if you format your emails at work like your posts on CD.
ahahahahhaahha i LOL'ed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships