Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times

Advertisements

I had a male friend over last night and we were looking at OKC profiles of men and women. I had no idea that women use so many cliches! There were quite a few profiles of romantic ladies: "I'm looking for my one, my all, that man who will make my heart sing!" One woman swore that she wasn't looking to be mean, but she laid out at least 10 ground rules for what he must be looking for when he contacts her and even gave a dictionary definition of "hook-up" so he would know to not call her for that. I was also amused at the women who bragged about their purse or shoe collection on the one hand (like men care about that lol) to the women who have pix of themselves on the shooting range or with their deer bagged--my friend thought both were a distinct turn-off.

My friend, who is 60, was quite amused at all the ladies who want a man 10 years younger and only up to her age--no older. Then I had a chance to laugh at him b/c he put in his profile that he will date women from 35-62, but wouldn't even look at profiles of women who are even close to 62. Found out that his real cut-off is 55. I told him that when I see that age range on a man's profile, I won't even contact him b/c I figure he's looking for someone closer to the lower end of the range and probably just looking for sex. He doesn't really believe that most women are like that, but I told him that he's going to get maybe one 35-40 yo woman contacting him for 20 or more 50 and up women who won't bother with him. Well and LOL, my friend is not a strongly attractive man and he is looking for a relationship. He is also 70 lbs overweight but wouldn't even look at the plump ladies, never mind the obese. Dating in middle age is difficult b/c we are all so appalled at what people our own age look like. And sound like I might add.

We both were agreed that men and women are evenly divided on writing: "I really hate to talk about myself but . . . " We both agreed that all could leave it off--it's supposed to sound modest but we both think it sounds pretentious and makes everyone sound so much alike! I had a little fun today--he left his profile up on my computer so I rated quite a lot of ladies with 5 stars, esp the ones that were older and plumper--even sent off a couple of personal messages. LOL.

What are your favorite cliches? Or what are your thoughts about OLD in the 45 and up age range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 PM

421 posts, read 676,704 times
Ha! Ha!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM

174 posts, read 230,454 times
Too funny! Yup, this is real life.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:47 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,720,920 times
I'm slightly younger than the OP's designated age range, but in essence, I agree. Online dating is a veritable hotbed of cliches. Everybody tries to sound clever and original, modest and humble, sincere and forthright, appealing, ready for a "serious relationship" - but we can't all be unique. We can't all be inimitable. And mostly we all want the same thing.

A few more juicy (and at least half-true) generalizations:

All men are shorter in real life than stated in their profiles. All women are heavier in real life, than appearing in their profiles.

All photos are 5+ years old.

Everybody seems to love pets. Even those with pet-allergies, 100-hour work weeks or efficiency-apartments.

Everyone who is divorced seems to have had a crazy ex, who blithely too their former partner for granted.

Everyone is ready for a loving, committed relationship. And they've been ready for the past 20 years.

"No games".

Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,613,035 times
I think the ones "looking for the one, their all.." are the worst. It sounds naïve. I'd skip over those, too much pressure to be uber romantic.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I had a male friend over last night and we were looking at OKC profiles of men and women. I had no idea that women use so many cliches! There were quite a few profiles of romantic ladies: "I'm looking for my one, my all, that man who will make my heart sing!" One woman swore that she wasn't looking to be mean, but she laid out at least 10 ground rules for what he must be looking for when he contacts her and even gave a dictionary definition of "hook-up" so he would know to not call her for that. I was also amused at the women who bragged about their purse or shoe collection on the one hand (like men care about that lol) to the women who have pix of themselves on the shooting range or with their deer bagged--my friend thought both were a distinct turn-off.

My friend, who is 60, was quite amused at all the ladies who want a man 10 years younger and only up to her age--no older. Then I had a chance to laugh at him b/c he put in his profile that he will date women from 35-62, but wouldn't even look at profiles of women who are even close to 62. Found out that his real cut-off is 55. I told him that when I see that age range on a man's profile, I won't even contact him b/c I figure he's looking for someone closer to the lower end of the range and probably just looking for sex. He doesn't really believe that most women are like that, but I told him that he's going to get maybe one 35-40 yo woman contacting him for 20 or more 50 and up women who won't bother with him. Well and LOL, my friend is not a strongly attractive man and he is looking for a relationship. He is also 70 lbs overweight but wouldn't even look at the plump ladies, never mind the obese. Dating in middle age is difficult b/c we are all so appalled at what people our own age look like. And sound like I might add.

We both were agreed that men and women are evenly divided on writing: "I really hate to talk about myself but . . . " We both agreed that all could leave it off--it's supposed to sound modest but we both think it sounds pretentious and makes everyone sound so much alike! I had a little fun today--he left his profile up on my computer so I rated quite a lot of ladies with 5 stars, esp the ones that were older and plumper--even sent off a couple of personal messages. LOL.

What are your favorite cliches? Or what are your thoughts about OLD in the 45 and up age range?
I don't like talking about myself constantly reminds me of someone who really doesn't want to be online. I put that in the same category as "my friends made me do this" "I can't believe I'm on here" and so on.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,975 times
Quote:
I was also amused at the women who bragged about their purse or shoe collection on the one hand (like men care about that lol) to the women who have pix of themselves on the shooting range or with their deer bagged--my friend thought both were a distinct turn-off.
Those deer bags or shooting range pics might be a turn off for your friend but not for other rednecks err hillbillies err guys on the dating site. To each his own, dude. Let's not generalize.

As for OLD when you are at 45 above, seriously was I the only one who has seen the ourtime.com commercials on TV? Seriously?!!!

What about farmersonly.com? LOL I seen those commercials too I bet those chicks with deer bags or shooting range pics will be a hot commodity on that site.

Last edited by meaning; 02-14-2014 at 05:19 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 05:59 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,454 times
Quote:

I get a laugh out of the women that want to have "new experiences", and expect to get that from a man in his 20s. What does he know? After all, he's just starting out himself. Unless, "new" means fresh and young, like a new car.

I also hear women talking about how men want a younger woman. "He divorced me and married someone young enough to be his daughter." The other thing I see is that they are looking for a man that is "generous", or an "executive", "financially secure". Or, she wants a guy that's "HWP", yet looking at her.... So many people have no problem telling what they're looking for, but say so little of what they have to offer.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:02 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Those deer bags or shooting range pics might be a turn off for your friend but not for other rednecks err hillbillies err guys on the dating site. To each his own, dude. Let's not generalize.

As for OLD when you are at 45 above, seriously was I the only one who has seen the ourtime.com commercials on TV? Seriously?!!!

What about farmersonly.com? LOL I seen those commercials too I bet those chicks with deer bags or shooting range pics will be a hot commodity on that site.
True that and we both live in the southern MO and IL region, but his thought was that it makes the women look like they're trying too hard. I'm not saying anything about it at all--I'm sure it's preferable to bragging about your purse/shoe collection, which is the one that made my eyeballs roll. I mean what man alive has ever contacted a woman b/c she has a great shoe collection? When he meets her he might like the overall effect of how she looks in her outfits, but he isn't going to look at an OL profile and say "hey, what about them shoes?" If anything I'd think it would scare them off.

Oh, but the worst female one was this hugely obese woman who said things like she's sitting around collecting disability and sitting at home on Friday nights wishing she had a man. She reads nothing, has no hobbies, not even collecting purses.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I poop on partners in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships