Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,134,349 times

Advertisements

I read this as the first dinner date, meaning the first time they are going to dinner...not necessarily the FIRST date. Maybe I'm wrong. With that said, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he whipped out a coupon. Actually, I would consider that a good trait. He's not afraid of what someone thinks of him, AND he's trying to save a few bucks.

The food is going to taste the same whether you got a discount or not. The atmosphere won't change either. Why would I want to pay full price for something I can get discounted? I don't know...I guess I'm not the type to be easily impressed by a full-price meal. I'd be impressed if the place was a good find, if it had great food or a cool atmosphere though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
To bring the discussion into the food snobbery direction that these threads inevitably go, I tend to not love the kinds of restaurants that regularly have coupons as such. If the dude had a Groupon or something for a new or interesting place, that would be fine, but if he wants to go to Red Lobster or Denny's because of a coupon, I wouldn't be too jazzed. If money's an issue I'd rather go dutch somewhere else.
Agree. I'm not big on chain places. There are several places I do LOVE in my local area though, and some of them have deals on www.restaurant.com. Love that website! There's a great local Italian place that sells $25 gift certificates for $10. We purchase them every time we go there. Can't think of a reason why I'd want to pay $25 for a meal when I could get it for $10! I just wish more of my favorite local places would participate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 PM

2,767 posts, read 2,247,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I read this as the first dinner date, meaning the first time they are going to dinner...not necessarily the FIRST date. Maybe I'm wrong. With that said, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he whipped out a coupon. Actually, I would consider that a good trait. He's not afraid of what someone thinks of him, AND he's trying to save a few bucks.
I should have specified this in my original post. I meant assuming you have already hung out once, there's some chemistry, maybe a few kisses or whatever but not an established couple. You are still in the process of seeing where it goes.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:56 PM

102,384 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I should have specified this in my original post. I meant assuming you have already hung out once, there's some chemistry, maybe a few kisses or whatever but not an established couple. You are still in the process of seeing where it goes.
Well, yeah, you should have, because this changes the whole scenario. As i posted in the beginning, if there's already some rapport established, it would be ok. Several people have made the point that a coupon dinner wouldn't be a guy's best first move, first impression. But a little later on, it would be ok.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 PM

22,461 posts, read 29,652,872 times
Hell no

Old 02-18-2014, 07:06 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,415,798 times
I wouldn't mind if he used a coupon to pay for our meals. Hell, times are hard. I'd be appreciative of the invitation and that he even offered to pay.
Now, if we went dutch and he used a coupon to pay for his meal, like a discount coupon as opposed to a 2 for 1, and he didn't bring one for me then I'd feel some kind of way . I hope that would never happen though.
In my younger, pre-child days, when I used to be heavy in the dating scene, those cheap bastids I went out with wouldn't pay for anything. They're reason being was that I made more money so I should pay. So, if someone wants to take me out and offers to pay for my meal with a coupon, it's cool.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,584,777 times
I can see why someone might want to use a coupon on a first date if they are having trouble financially, but if nothing is going right don't add another thing that might ward off the opposite sex. You should at least mention it before hand in a humorous way so it doesn't come off as awkward. I've left coupons in my pocket with girls I've dated for awhile just because I didn't want to ruin the date with an awkward situation because the waiter/waitress is clueless. I just see a coupon throwing off the flow of the date.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 AM

32 posts, read 33,477 times
I would be cool with it. It's not like you have to make a big announcement about it. Just casually mention there's a certificate in the bill. I use groupon all the time. It's no big deal. I'm looking more at the experience and where I was taken. I don't feel entitled to full price, but I do like thoughtfulness.

It's a bigger deal to me if I get taken to someplace lame like Applebee's and he charges it because he can't afford it. That's a bigger red flag.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM

41,004 posts, read 49,458,860 times
I find the 2 for 1 Lap Dance coupon at the Gentlemen's club on Tequila shot night makes a great 1st impression
and provides a memorable evening most women don't soon forget.

I just don't understand why I seldom get a second date.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,031,241 times
Just pay on the first date but don't go too expensive.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,441,805 times
I think it is fine too. I can not see a thing wrong with it or why it bothers some people on here.

To me I think a partner who has their finger on the pulse - who knows wheter the party is at - the discounts - the vibe - the offers - the whole lot - is an interesting person to know.

As one user said on the first page - is it not the meal and the company that is important? What kind of mind truely obsesses over how it was paid for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships