Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Probably not. I would wonder why he didn't have a job, even though he was intelligent and otherwise 'all that.'
Not sure how many men (who make average salaries) would want to date a woman who didn't have a job either.
None that I know would date an unemployed woman. It seems true of both sides. If unemployed, focus on getting a job as for the most part people of both sexes will view it as a huge negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 13,629 times
i think his employment should only be considered on how it weighed in the relationship. Just as other suggested if he's fine financially pursuing a reasonable passion, or investing on his education than there should be no problem. I think most assume that if he is unemployed he just a bum or something which isn't always the case. In the end if you don't agree with his lifestyle you could always talk to him about and see if you guys can move forward or not

Old 02-22-2014, 09:54 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
This also depends on how old the people in question are. college age is totally different than mid 20's and out of college onward.

Women who automatically disregard unemployed men are going to miss out on some great guys, seems a little ridiculous to put such an emphasis on whether or not he has a job. There is an unprecedented transfer of wealth going down through generations right now, and that guy who doesn't have a job might be sitting on a 500k-5 million dollar bank account courtesy the grandparents/parents, and is focused on growing that wealth but doesn't want to clue you in on it lest you go after him because of it. And you pass him by, lol.

Obviously some guys are GED wielding, totally broke moochers who have no intention of making anything of themselves. You have to be able to separate people on a case by case basis and not operate under generalized rules or your going to lose out, imo.
I really don't think there are that many unemployed men who are loaded, for all these women to miss out on.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM

260 posts, read 605,424 times
Just by looking at the title, I knew this thread was made by a guy. A woman will have guys go after her regardless or her employment status.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:36 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seany85 View Post
This is a question to the women here on this board.

Say you met a guy, he's tall, attractive, physically fit, neat and clean, decent personality, sweet, charming, intelligent, decent size penis, good lover (i.e. attentive, giving, open, etc.). But he has one major flaw. He's unemployed.

Would you date him?
Yes. Being unemployed temporarily is not a major flaw in my book.
Plus, I have enough money to live a good life, his income especially while we are dating is just a bonus.

If he is lazy, then that is another story.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seany85 View Post
This is a question to the women here on this board.

Say you met a guy, he's tall, attractive, physically fit, neat and clean, decent personality, sweet, charming, intelligent, decent size penis, good lover (i.e. attentive, giving, open, etc.). But he has one major flaw. He's unemployed.

Would you date him?
No. I would be suspicious as to the circumstances of him being unemployed. How could a man like this not have a job period? He might have a few acceptable excuses such as going to school full time, a recent accident or disability, or a windfall that allows him to live a life of leisure. Other than that...why would this guy be unemployed?

EDIT: upon your additional information: still no. I would not believe I have anything in common with such a person. "I work really hard 'cuz I'm no fun!" I would admire such a guy who had all the money he needed yet spent his time doing something worthwhile like volunteering.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM

367 posts, read 696,996 times
It would depend on the situation. Is he lazy or is there a good reason he isn't working. Life happens. I try not to be so judgmental because I have been unemployed and have wondered the same thing .....would a guy date me?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:34 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Just become an artist or musician or a writer who's trying to make it and you'll be fine.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,587 times
A lot of people here are saying they wouldn't care because they have their "own money" or that they simply don't care. That is not the case for a lot of people.

I don't think income should be the primary indicator of a good mate, not at all. However, I bet a lot of people would change their tune of they were barely making ends meet themselves, and a good looking man/woman came along who wanted to move in with them or start a life with them who was also unemployed. To me, that's a completely unacceptable situation. After a certain point, you're in survival mode. If I was making under 30k a year and met a man who was unemployed and gorgeous, I may hang out with him and date him casually, but I probably wouldn't pursue him as a serious prospect (I date with the intent to marry some day), since that's just survival. How on earth could you support someone in your home if you can barely support yourself? Something would need to change.

If you are just talking about casually dating, sure. You can do plenty of things for free. You might not meet a lot of people looking to be serious though. Like I said, I dated to meet people who I saw as a potential life partner.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:52 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Its really sad given the state of our economy, but people who haven't been unemployed before (or in a long time) don't understand. I went through 2 years of unemployment. During that time I dated one woman for 3 months. I know she ended it because of me being unemployed, despite me paying for all our dates, great sex, and me being an all around good, very educated guy. It didn't matter. Women are shallow in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships