Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

It all depends on if you know the person already of if it's truly a blind date with someone you have never met before.

Blind date: coffee or something similar. For all the reasons given.

Someone you already know: just do something you both enjoy. I'll assume conversation has occurred, interests may be known, likes and dislikes might have come up. I mean I know more than that about everyone who works in my building just through day to day contact. If one of the guys decided to ask me on a date in the future they would have a clue.

I've always felt that a public activity where you can walk around while talking and looking at interesting things is the best. Street fairs, museums, touristy things, farmers markets, etc. You have lots of things to spark convo, don't feel "trapped" in a seat somewhere, and don't have someone focused and looking at you at all times. It's super comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,643,385 times
sex

Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Show up on time and don't be creepy. Everything else is gravy.

I don't think about the kind of questions outlined or place special emphasis on first dates, but in general, if we're new to each other, I don't want to go on dates that will hinder me getting to know you better. If we're going to see a movie, for example, that's a good two hours not talking and interacting freely with each other, so that can't be ALL we do. There needs to be time before or after where we're just hanging out. If you don't have that much time to spend on a date, don't include the movie, just focus on the hanging out part.

I don't worry about ordinary, it's either something I enjoy or don't and I enjoy dinner, orindary or not, so it's fair game. Also, I don't expect others to entertain me. I can entertain myself just fine, so I don't like dates where someone is providing me with an "activity".

If you just want to do something together, that's one thing, but it turns me off when a guy thinks he has to come up with a "thing" for the date to impress me or keep me occupied. If you aren't interesting enough to hold my attention just walking around talking, I won't suddenly find you interesting because you signed us up for wall climbing or sushi rolling lessons.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times
I'd be wary of the word "expect" here, for both men and women. If you go overboard with expectations, you risk setting yourself up for frequent disappointment. That said, it's reasonable to expect men to meet the following criteria:

- Be on time.
- Look and dress presentably. Meaning, get the hygiene and grooming taken care of, and wear clothes that are clean, proper-fitting and occasion appropriate.
- Don't be creepy. Have a clue about basic courtesy, about social etiquette. Understand and respect boundaries. And keep in mind that you will probably be evaluated on your behavior towards service people such as waitresses, etc.
- If you are the one planning the date, well...have at least a solid framework of a plan of to-dos, suggestions or ideas during the date. Be able to take the lead. But take her input into account as well. In a way, you two are a team.
- Whether you actually end up paying or not, be prepared to cover the costs especially if you're the one planning the date. While I'd stop short of labeling it an expectation, it's generally considered to be a nice gesture for the man to at least offer to pay.

In short, give off the impression that you actually give a damn about her (as a person) and the date.

Everything positive beyond that is a bonus, IMO. And also more subjective. However, simply meeting the above criteria - and nothing more - may not be enough net you a second or third date. (There are no guarantees, even if the date seemingly goes flawlessly.) I think it's a bit silly to outright expect the following, but ideally conversation should naturally flow well and segue smoothly from subject to subject - with both people contributing frequently; there should be mutual attraction; the two should be comfortable with each other; you should be someone worth knowing, etc. But NOT meeting one or more of the above bullet points at the top of this post will make it VERY likely that she will not accept a second date offer from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It all depends on if you know the person already of if it's truly a blind date with someone you have never met before.

Blind date: coffee or something similar. For all the reasons given.

Someone you already know: just do something you both enjoy. I'll assume conversation has occurred, interests may be known, likes and dislikes might have come up. I mean I know more than that about everyone who works in my building just through day to day contact. If one of the guys decided to ask me on a date in the future they would have a clue.

I've always felt that a public activity where you can walk around while talking and looking at interesting things is the best. Street fairs, museums, touristy things, farmers markets, etc. You have lots of things to spark convo, don't feel "trapped" in a seat somewhere, and don't have someone focused and looking at you at all times. It's super comfortable.
Agreed 100%, and the bolded parts are great points. If the two people really enjoyed each other's company during the public activity, then (if schedules allow) one or the other can transition that into drinks, lunch or dinner somewhere. I'd personally avoid public activities that involve too much physical action though, unless I already knew the woman a bit.

Most of the dates I've had were with women I already knew a bit.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
as far as conversation wise? I was ready for anything. As long as there's no perversity involved.

where do you expect to be taken? I was always asked where I want to go. My preference was food court in the mall. LOL. I didn't expect anything fancy since I only regard it as a meet not a date.

flowers? yay or nay? I don't care for it.

how long should it be? It really depends. I don't care how long. But I really prefer afternoon meets. I don't want to stay late at night with a stranger.
My 'dates' are mostly from online meets so that was my answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships