Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I never could understand the bathroom selfie phenomena. How can you be too embarrassed to have a friend take a picture of you for a dating site, but not be embarrassed enough to make your first impression on a possible date you toilet?

It's probably a guy thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:21 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's probably a guy thing.
what? I would bet there are equal if not more women that do this.

and the stupid mustache pictures

Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
what? I would bet there are equal if not more women that do this.

Sorry I just had a moment of cynicism, my post should have had a or at the end - it was not intended seriously.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think those are like the crazy man pix--intended to convey a sense of humor but usually fail miserably. Or you could look at it like this--instant weed-out b/c you don't "get" their sense of humor and they probably won't get yours either.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 PM

543 posts, read 534,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Do you need some help with your profile? We ladies could probably offer advice. I did look on your profile on C-D and you mentioned hobbies that are man hobbies but very little else is filled out. Anything you do that could include women? It would be a like a woman putting on her profile that she knits and collects beanie babies/purses/shoes. How many men would care about that?

How are your pix? I'm not saying you do this but I've noticed with a lot of men my age that they have what I call "crazy man" pix where they make a crazy face, maybe to be funny? Plus they sure could use a trim. I went on a date with one of those once--in one of his pix, he had his hair blowing in his face and it looked stupid but I gave him a chance and we dated awhile but guess what? He really was crazy! Never again--men should look at the camera and avoid the shifty eyed or crazy look and comb their hair first--esp older men b/c gray hair never does what you want it to.
Any help couldn't hurt.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 AM

I just had to tell you all about my latest OLD. It wasn't really a date though--more like a friend meet b/c I'm not really in a position health-wise to date right now and he was aware of that. We'd been trying to get together for weeks but something was always coming up on his side or mine. Also, we barely had a concept of what they other looks like b/c he had a kind of crappy faraway photo and I had none at all.

We met in an Irish pub and picked each other out right away lol and started to talk and I liked him--he seemed very nice. No great fireworks but I'm thinking I'd see him again maybe. He made me laugh plenty and took some risks with his jokes, which were well received. After awhile though I noticed that he was bragging a bit too much--had a super high IQ but got meningitis and lost a great deal through brain damage but still had plenty b/c the IQ was off the charts before. Champion racquetball player on his Navy team--that sort of thing.

Then he started to talk about a job he'd had in the past and I found out that I had worked the same job, in the same dept, at the same time. And I stopped and thought and I burst out--"Scott!" Almost said Scottie Potty b/c that's what we used to call him. No one could stand the man b/c he was so royally unpleasant in the morning when we got there that all were happy to see him leave. (He worked night shift.) I might add that after I saw Spongebob Squarepants with my kids later, Squidward seems to share a lot of the same qualities lol.

I was glad we had a chance to talk though and I got more background on his story--I think that much of his behavior was justified when I heard it. We did have a pleasant time and he wants to meet again. Me? For friends only but I would be his friend.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Well, I don't click on every person's profile, so I have to make a decision based on the profile picture.

If you don't have a picture, I do not click on the profile to read, because chances are-and this comes with experience of clicking these-that your profile is going to be as empty as your profile picture.

I do not click(on profiles of) on pictures of men.

I do not click on pictures with the girl and a guy in the picture. Unless he appears to be old enough to be your daddy, I find it strange that a woman would make there OLD picture that every guy is going to see of you hugging another guy. That does not make any sense to me whatsoever.

I do not click on a woman's profile if she is not smiling.

I do not click on a profile of a woman who is making a duck face, or some super bizarre face that makes you look alien.

I do not click on a profile of a woman who has a picture of all of her friends in it, including her. I do not know your friends, I don't even know what you look like, so I'm clicking on essentially a blank picture.

Now, when I find a profile picture that isn't like any of those I mentioned, which apparently eliminates something like 80% of total profiles here, I click on, and do fully read the profile before looking at the rest of the pictures if any. If I feel that I can make a conversation based on what I read, which mostly comes down to interests that I find both shared or interesting, I'll write to her based on those interests.

But most of the time that doesn't work, so I feel like I should be like the rest of the men who browse these sites and just look at the pictures and write a sentence or 2 and ask if they wanna hang out sometime or something, because well-written messages apparently go ignored just as often as the badly written, short ones too.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM

Oh another one that you see so much of in men's profiles: "I know how to treat a lady." Well first of all that is meaningless to me and second, apparently they all know how to treat a lady. I hope they know how to be decent to everyone they meet--that is the real test. It's immaterial to me whether he holds the car door open or my chair out b/c I know that will all go by the wayside as soon as we get to know each other better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships