Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,896,723 times

Advertisements

All in the age gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:40 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,212,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
It's not hate, more like come see me when you've gotten some more experience and maturity under your belt....
Yep. Even a few years in his 20s makes a difference. My ex hub was 24 and I was 31 when we started dating. Last SO was 29 and I was 39 when we started dating.

Next one will be closer to me in age though. Will probably only go 5 years in either direction. I don't want to have to explain again why Joe Strummer's death bothered me more than Kurt Cobain's.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:10 PM

620 posts, read 1,199,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You have got to be the most clueless guy your age I've encountered here thus far.
Can u please delete my thread about that russian girl in my class?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,147,804 times
Honestly, as a 30 year old woman, a 20 yr old man is generally more attractive than a 40 yr old man, from a physical standpoint. The younger men are more likely to have a better body, full head of hair, & of course no wrinkles. Yeah, some 20 yr olds look like pimply faced boys still, but I won't lie - some are pretty hot.

And a 30 yr old woman is entering her sexual prime while a 20 yr old man is peaking - so sounds pretty compatible to me . The reality is more likely "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" though.

So why does it seem more women go for older rather than younger?
The main reason is emotional maturity.

There's also his ability to provide financially. In the past, girls married older men because those were the men with financial ability to marry. This set a norm (for who a woman married, not who women are actually attracted to). But nowadays, women have the freedom to earn their own living, which also gives them more freedom to choose a partner who they actually find attractive.

Add to it that it's slightly less taboo now for the woman to be older and.... the cougar is born!
Of course, the term is degrading, but it's too ubiquitous to ignore. It represents a big shift in "norms".
There's still a lot of flack given to women who date someone more than a few years younger though.

But because of the emotional maturity factor, when seeking a LTR, many women will go for a peer or someone older.

Personally, I am most attracted to men within about 5 years of my age. Since I'm 30, men around my age have lost most of their physical boyishness without looking old yet. They've also grown up emotionally (hopefully).

Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
Can u please delete my thread about that russian girl in my class?
Nope.

I don't have a link for it. Since you posted this publicly, I'll remind you that I asked for a link several days ago.

You can't keep creating threads, letting them go for a dozen pages, then deleting them. I will take a look at it if you send me a link via PM, though.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 AM

78 posts, read 63,317 times
Women mature earlier than men. 20 year old men are usually immature. The maturity levels are more matched at 30/40, than 20/30. Older men are more interesting than men barely out of his teen years. 30 year old women are interested in financially stable men. 40 year olds are financially stable. 20 year olds are not. In general.

It's not shallow or materialistic either. It's common sense and smart to seek financial stability once you hit your 30s. Financial flakiness or immaturity isn't cute after the 30th birthday.

Oh yeah. Older men are much better sexually. It's just time and experience that makes that a truth.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,942,777 times
Marry the first time for love...then (in my best Chappelle) Get Paid *****!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,850,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
WTH are you talkin about?

Where did the phrase "cougar" come from then??

Old broads banging young dudes is all the "rage" these days.....
"Old broads"?

I've always had you pegged as one of the good guys on CD, Chowhound, so you MUST be using your sense of humor here (?) However, if you're not, what do you constitute as "old broads"? BTW, you're in your 40s, yes?

OP, what orangeapple said is bang-on. I think that a possible preference for older men is more common when women are younger. I will admit that, when I was in my 20s, I preferred "older" men. In fact, I ended up marrying a man 12 years my senior.

But, trust me, that preference you're perceiving younger women have for older men will change. I'm NOT talking about proverbial cougars, either (HATE that term). By the time most women are in their 40s (at the latest), they have a better appreciation for men their own age or a little bit younger. In fact, I know quite a few women in their 30s who ALWAYS prefer younger guys.

And just remember that those older guys continue to get older as do the younger women.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 03-09-2014 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 12:42 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
WTH are you talkin about?

Where did the phrase "cougar" come from then??

Old broads banging young dudes is all the "rage" these days.....
I just lost coffee out of orifices in face that shouldn't be exuding coffee!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,216,005 times
Agreed, older is better ... but at my age I get warned by the geriatric crowd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships