Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM

17,548 posts, read 39,171,450 times

Advertisements

I am married, so this is a moot point I guess, but if I were single, I would NOT want to seriously date a divorced dad with kids. The most I would go for would be a casual affair with not too much attachment. WAAAAAY too much drama when kids are involved, IMO. I say this due to knowing some really nice guys with kids, and there are lots and lots of problems.....

Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,624,388 times
I've never dated a man with a child. I do have a big crush on a man with a child and would absolutely date him if he wasn't married. But I've liked him since he was childless.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM

13,664 posts, read 9,733,801 times
I would not date parents because of the fundamental and unbridgeable gap in values between them and me. As an antinatalist, I view production as a vile and illegitimate decision. From time to time, I find women in online dating who leave blank the area for "Do you have children". My messages convey the assumption that they're child-free, but there have been cases where the woman is, it turns out, a mother. Basic politeness forces the containment of any outbursts, but of course the "relationship" can not continue.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times
On two different occasions I had a girlfriend who had children. One of them was the woman I gave my virginity. I mentioned her on a thread that has since been deleted. She wanted to take a "casual stroll" by the jewelry counter to "just look" at diamond rings. I was 20 years old. She was 23 and had a 3 year old daughter. This experience scared the hell out of me.

A few years later I had a girlfriend and she had a 13 year old daughter and 11 year old son. By then I was 24, this woman was 31. We really were off and running. We had keys to each other's homes and I was even authorized to pick up her kids from school. I helped her son with his homework. We ate meals at the table "as a family." Sadly this woman turned out to still be married. I almost stayed with her anyway because her husband (who had left her for the more slender, younger and "hotter" woman next door) assured me he was not only comfortable with me sleeping with his wife but excited for her that she had "snagged a good guy." It just wasn't the same after that awkward conversation. I thought she was an awesome partner, her kids were great, and we truly enjoyed each other. But when I mentioned her dishonesty about her marital status it was not a pretty picture.

I have no regrets, but I did sometimes look back and wonder if I made the right decision on this one. I stopped worrying about it after I met my wife, though.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,212,158 times
I've gone out with men with kids, but not more than a few times. There is something very off-putting about the whole "my kid always comes first" thing. Not that I would want to take precedence over a man's kid in an emergency or ever feel like a man should be put in a position of choosing between a partner and a child. But when someone comes out with that from the get go, I wonder if he overindulges his kids or puts them on a pedestal somehow. A smart parent sets boundaries and knows that there are indeed times when a child does NOT come first, and that adults are entitled to their lives, too. Way too many brats out there manufacturing drama because they don't want to share their Mommy's or Daddy's attention.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 7,651 times
Yes, I have dated a few and don't recommend it if you're childless, unless you really love kids and want to play Mommy to kids who aren't your own. Most of these guys were broke and any extra money they had went to their kids needs. Totally understandable, but not something conducive to having a relationship.

And you will always be last on the totem pole as far as their attentions are concerned. You will come after the kids, the ex wife and the family dog. And the kids usually have major behavioral dysfunctions from the divorce trauma.

I've only met one guy with a kid who was more willing to make me a priority in his life, but that's because he never wanted the kid in the first place, which was not normal either.

I'd rather be alone.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:42 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,117,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I thought grown kids would be easier and maybe they usually are, but for me it didn't work. Not to mention the issues like grandchildren.
I disagree with you on much of your absolute stance on dating someone with kids but you have good points like the one above. I have dated a woman with out of control kids, who will probably have out of control grand children and so on and so on. Not a pretty sight in my mind. Unfortunately the only men that could possibly tolerate that type of environment are typically undesireable types, which is sad.

On a positive note, most every other women I have dated with a child was little to no problem at all.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM

48,555 posts, read 34,911,433 times
I had never dated any men with kids until after my husband passed aways. One of the guys I dated had grown kids so it didn't really count.

The a guy I really liked had 3 in school and a step he considered his own. I was somewhat hesitant. We spent every day together that he was not with the kids, and I didn't meet them for about 6 months.

And I married him.

Not much drama about money with the exes (2 ex wives. ). Really none at all. I get along with both exes and they have both expressed gratitude about different things to me. Two are now out of school doing their own stuff, the Junior is so buys (sports, school, work) we don't see her as often as we would like, but I just took her and her friend prom dress shopping for a day. The youngest, 12, is with us once a week and every other weekend.

I honestly love it. I never had a chance to have kids, and this has really been a blessing. I have bonded well with all but the oldest boy. The kids genuinely like me, but still respect my word in the home. We take the two youngest on vacation every year out of state. The only thing I DO miss is our just the two of us vacations, but there is still time for that.

We will be moving about a mile away from his ex, and she is excited we will be closer. She thinks we are going to be friends. I'm nice to her to keep things good for the youngest, I neither like nor respect her for reasons I wouldn't go into here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,485,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
For you it maybe no big deal but for others it is. The idea of my money going towards the kids or the ex horrified me.
She's never asked me for money.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
I have. Several times. Two for several years each. One was an infant (1 year old) when I met her mother, the other was 8 or 9.

The first there was no dad, she wanted a child on her own and her own terms without anyone else potentially legally butting in, so she went to a clinic. The second had an ex but they were on pretty good terms and swapped weeks.

No drama. Only issues were having to be flexible as kids get sick/things come up, and it is harder to be spontaneous, but otherwise, no biggie. Money was never an issue at all. I can only think of two times I spent money on either, and it was very little, both when they wanted fish tanks. I have extra tanks/supplies so there was only a little expense. The older kid grew out of it quick, the one when I met her was 5 at the time (now 6) and she still loves her betta. Of course, she wants a cat, rabbit, pony, etc too. Pretty damn cute and I don't even like kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships