Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately unless everyone the dog is close to adopts the behavior that stops it from barking all the training in he world will be for nothing, It will revert over time.

Unless your GF understands and agrees about the dogs behavior I'm not sure this is something you will ever have resolved.

The other option is a bark collar....but judging from what you say about her demeanor towards the dog I doubt she would be ok with something that inflicts pain as a form of discipline.

You have to make her understand just what the issues are...which unfortunately doesn't seem to be working

This is probably one time an ultimatum may be necessary.

Train the dog or...

Last edited by rego00123; 03-16-2014 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: My phone hates me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 PM

288 posts, read 255,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangur4 View Post
Unfortunately she think that it is inhumane to stop the dog from barking. I've tried to ask her to do something about this and used to look into it a while ago. When she refuse to take it into considerations, I pretty much stopped as it is like talking to a wall.
If she's not willing to work with the dog on its issues ( I'm assuming it's a small " purse dog") then there's your answer. I don't allow my dog to bark in the apartment, only growl if there's random people going by to the neighbors.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 9,184 times
Ugh! I'm not liking the looks of this... I really like this girl for the most part, but... I can't lose my place over her dog not behaving and the neighbors are already not liking me.

Her dog is a border collie, not one of those tiny dog.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Border Collies are intelligent dogs. Training shouldn't be an issue if you both work at it.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Ugh! I'm not liking the looks of this... I really like this girl for the most part, but... I can't lose my place over her dog not behaving and the neighbors are already not liking me.

Her dog is a border collie, not one of those tiny dog.
Border collies are smart, sometimes smarter then the owners unfortunately.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Border Collies are intelligent dogs. Training shouldn't be an issue if you both work at it.

Yep, but they need ALOT of exercise. If not, they'll get fidgety and bark.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 9,184 times
Ugh! Guess I'll have to give her a ultimatum. This is really not sounding good at all.

No wonder the dog was acting up. From a land with huge free space to roam in to a small condo. Totally not good for the dog.

Yeah... Well guess it is all in her hands now. I'm done with trying to make thing work with the dog. The dog shouldn't even be here in the first place.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:26 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
^^ Not considering maybe renting a house with her?

Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^ Not considering maybe renting a house with her?

I thought he said he bought his condo 4 years ago but I could be mistaken.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Ugh! Guess I'll have to give her a ultimatum. This is really not sounding good at all.

No wonder the dog was acting up. From a land with huge free space to roam in to a small condo. Totally not good for the dog.

Yeah... Well guess it is all in her hands now. I'm done with trying to make thing work with the dog. The dog shouldn't even be here in the first place.
With a high energy dog it is possible to keep them happy in a condo, but expect long daily runs in the least, otherwise not going to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships