Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:38 AM

216 posts, read 438,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

Though I don't know what NPR listening says about politics. I never got that.
My reference was just kind of a tongue-in-cheek nod to the stereotype of a liberal person. But in truth, the reporting does tend to emphasize the social issues that libs are focused on.

My ex was self-described as a middle-of-the-road moderate when I met him on Match... I think a big part of that self-identification was that people in his line of work tend to be quite conservative, so he used that description to avoiding getting baited into political debate at work by saying he was moderate and saw both sides. He was already on the lefty end of moderate, but became more left-leaning (and more frustrated with his neocon coworkers) as the relationship progressed.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
I prefer to date someone with similar political beliefs as my own too. I tend to go liberal on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues. I try to abide by common sense more than sticking to any one party all the time. However, as long as someone is respectful of differing opinions and can actually express why they feel they way they do, then it wouldn't be a total deal breaker for me if all of our beliefs didn't line up. I don't like when people post too many political things on Facebook, so that would have been a major turn off for me no matter which side he was posting for.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Politics suck. Politicians and diapers need to be changed often. And for the same reason. I loathe the lot of them, democrat and republican alike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As someone who worked with them, I cannot agree with you more.
ALL politicians are lying d bags. I don't care if you're talkin Donkey's or Elephant's. They both lie and rob you blind, the Dem's just give the illusion of being for the little guy......

I think being honest in that area is important, it could cause some major compatibility issues otherwise.

Since we're talking about this something that really irks me is when you're talking with strangers or even people you know and they start spouting off about some policitical views like everyone at the table agrees with them, you know what I mean?? I find that insulting and annoying.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Chowhound, I once had a massage therapist start spouting off her political agenda during my appointment time! It was possibly one of the most unprofessional service-oriented experiences of my life. There is a place and time for discussing this, and during the course of providing a service for a fee is not it!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:04 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Chowhound, I once had a massage therapist start spouting off her political agenda during my appointment time! It was possibly one of the most unprofessional service-oriented experiences of my life. There is a place and time for discussing this, and during the course of providing a service for a fee is not it!
I agree, you're a "captive" audience to her at that point, that would have pissed me off, even if I had agreed with the views, I probably wouldn't want to be yacking about it if I were getting a massage at the time, that should be quiet peaceful time, in my humble opinion.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,755 times
I try not to place that much importance on politics, so I'm perfectly okay dating a man that doesn't have the same leaning as me, especially considering that I consider myself a moderate-liberal leaning toward libertarian. That being said I would have a difficult time dating a man that is very conservative. This isn't because I think conservatives are bad or worse than liberals, but whereas I can understand why a man very liberal would be passionate about Gay rights, or drug legalization, I could never understand a person who is so opposed to what two people do in the bedroom that he/she would deny them marriage rights nor could I understand the anger and frustration with the poor... Furthermore I'm no longer a Christian(though I do believe in a high power and practice new age spirituality) so that also eliminates a good amount of men that are very conservative.

I know that there are certainly conservatives that are only fiscally conservative and that I would be perfectly fine with, but social conservatives I would have very little in common with.

I've voted democrat the last two elections-the first time because I believed in Obama, the second time because I could not stand Romney and wanted to give Obama a chance to see certain things through. However in both elections I found that the platform that I mostly identified with was Ron Paul--with a mixture of Obama. So I don't need to date a man necessarily liberal or democrat but I don't think I would have much in common with a very far leaning social conservative

Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Socially-conservative and economically-liberal here For me and ideally, a hypothetical romantic match would be similar in viewpoints, although I have found that I actually have more in common beliefs-wise with 100% liberals (economically and socially), vs. with both either 100% conservatives (economically and socially) or Libertarians, who tend to be liberal socially and conservative economically. I don't think I would be romantically compatible with a fiscal conservative, just because our worldviews would be so starkly different and diametrically opposed, on so many things in life

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 03-18-2014 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Edits

Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Socially-conservative and economically-liberal here

That's a joke, right?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,311 times
Quote:
Politics suck. Politicians and diapers need to be changed often. And for the same reason. I loathe the lot of them, democrat and republican alike.
I'm here with you

Personally speaking, I'm very conservative. My boyfriend? He's as liberal (socially speaking) as they come. So, this makes for interesting conversations between us.

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-18-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's a joke, right?
Lol nope, actually I was being 100% serious

For example, a person who is socially-conservative + economically-liberal might potentially be described as Pro-Life and pro-family and pro-religious values, but also pro-Social Security, pro-Medicare, and supportive of higher taxes on upper-income individuals and similar more-liberal fiscal policies, etc. It could be seen as "conservative but without being fiscally conservative", or as a "socially conservative liberal". It's interesting to think about and I sometimes wonder why there aren't more people similar to that politically, who are out there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships