Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,283 times

Advertisements

OK. This is the situation. My girlfriend has owned a cat for a long time before we met. She is very close and fond of her cat. However, this cat has a history of pissing on furniture, and various areas of he house. As a result she has ruined a lot of stuff or caused a lot of headaches in general. We both have tried many ways to solve the issue from creating separate cat liter boxes, cleaning it daily, and taking her to the vet. The vet found no issues with her and said it is a mental problem and prescribed some medicine for her. However, my girlfriend tried using the medicince for three days and was having more trouble administiring the drug to her cat. As a result she gave up giving the cat the medicine and now we are encountering the same problem over again. She wants to talk to the vet and see if there are other solutions.

This is were I am having problems and at crossroads with this cat. The vet said that this would probably be a life long problem for the cat. The cat is merely 8 years old. so my guess is about another 10 years of the same problem. I cannot deal with this problem for 10 more years. The cat has pissed on our bed several times. As a result my girlfriend has cleaned the bed, and we bought a bed cover that should prevent the cat **** from getting everywhere. However, this problem does not stop and has caused us a lot of money to replace/ or professionally clean furniture. It is also causing us to have to sleep in different rooms which in effect causes problems with our intimacy.

I would love for her to keep the cat if it would just use the cat littler box. How do I tell her enough is enough with the cat ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,011 times
If you make her choose between you and the cat, make sure you have your bags packed.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
If you make her choose between you and the cat, make sure you have your bags packed.

Yup

Or, the cat ran away (even if its a housecat)

Old 04-01-2014, 11:27 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
The cat was there before you, meaning you knew what it was like before you started living with your GF, so it's going to be tough to discuss.

Your GF needs to learn how to pill a cat. That is her responsibility as a pet owner, and not to do so is actually kind of cruel. Imagine the misery that cat must be in to pee all over everything all the time. It's probably in pain when it pees and may have come to associate the litter box with pain. "Pee = pain and litterbox = pee, so litterbox = pain."

The Cat Peed WHERE? - How to Stop Cats From Urinating outside the Litterbox

But also, your GF has a responsibility to you and your home to ensure that her cat does not ruin and destroy everything. You live there too, and my guess is that the cat has peed on some of your own belongings.

It sounds cold, but her cat, her responsibility. She needs to just live up to her responsibility and give it its meds.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post

I don't care if you give me an ultimatum about an ugly white elephant statue that you don't like. Whenever there is a choice between you and something else, I will choose something else because I do not give in to ultimatums for any reason.

She needs to find a different vet and get a second opinion about this situation. It is more than likely some medical issue that has not been properly diagnosed or the cat simply does not like you which can happen.

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Tough call. There's no easy way to say what you're going to say.

You need a cat whisperer, or have a pit bull near the bed?

I realize my first comment probably wasn't helpful, but it's true. My husband and I both brought animals into the relationship, and we both know to never give that ultimatum. Our pets are that important to us, and if your girlfriend's cat wasn't that important to her, I have to think she would not still have it.

That said, is there a reason the cat can't at least be shut out of the bedroom? I've had to restrict access to various parts of the house for our animals. They would have you believe they are suffering, but I assure you, they aren't.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't care if you give me an ultimatum about an ugly white elephant statue that you don't like. Whenever there is a choice between you and something else, I will choose something else because I do not give in to ultimatums for any reason.

She needs to find a different vet and get a second opinion about this situation. It is more than likely some medical issue that has not been properly diagnosed or the cat simply does not like you which can happen.

Good point!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,207,787 times
I don't see where the OP is issuing any ultimatums, like it's him or the cat. He said he would love for her to keep the cat, but just wants it to use its litterbox.

Instead of jumping to conclusions and castigating him, why not step back and look at where the real fault lies? A woman who will not take appropriate care of her pet.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,240,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoian31 View Post
OK. This is the situation. My girlfriend has owned a cat for a long time before we met. She is very close and fond of her cat. However, this cat has a history of pissing on furniture, and various areas of he house. As a result she has ruined a lot of stuff or caused a lot of headaches in general. We both have tried many ways to solve the issue from creating separate cat liter boxes, cleaning it daily, and taking her to the vet. The vet found no issues with her and said it is a mental problem and prescribed some medicine for her. However, my girlfriend tried using the medicince for three days and was having more trouble administiring the drug to her cat. As a result she gave up giving the cat the medicine and now we are encountering the same problem over again. She wants to talk to the vet and see if there are other solutions.

This is were I am having problems and at crossroads with this cat. The vet said that this would probably be a life long problem for the cat. The cat is merely 8 years old. so my guess is about another 10 years of the same problem. I cannot deal with this problem for 10 more years. The cat has pissed on our bed several times. As a result my girlfriend has cleaned the bed, and we bought a bed cover that should prevent the cat **** from getting everywhere. However, this problem does not stop and has caused us a lot of money to replace/ or professionally clean furniture. It is also causing us to have to sleep in different rooms which in effect causes problems with our intimacy.

I would love for her to keep the cat if it would just use the cat littler box. How do I tell her enough is enough with the cat ?
You don't tell her enough is enough with the cat lol. Don't want the cat to pee on the bed? Easy--don't let her in your room. I did that with my cat, who peed on the bed (thankfully not on the mattress and the quilt was thick enough) and also in my closet. She did it more out of spite due to a new pet in the house because she had never done that before.

Was she peeing randomly in the house before you came along?

Also, have you tried changing kitty litter? Cats are picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships