Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times

Advertisements

I had a long discussion with a friend of mine yesterday. He knows me pretty well, and we see eye to eye a lot. I had told him I had been feeling some long time discomfort and distress with my life and myself lately. He flat out told me that my issue is that I don't know what I am suppose to do in life and that I need companionship.

I am inclined to agree with him. With companionship, I try not to entertain the thought of it because it has never happened to me before. Not romantically anyway. I know it is one of things I desire in life, but it is getting to the point where it is affecting my mood, when it shouldn't be. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to have someone in my life in order to be happy because I know better.

He told me he thinks my standards are unrealistically too high. Of course I don't think so, because the only thing I really care about is mutual attraction. I have been attracted to all kinds of guys, I don't pay attention to what he has, or what he does, not really. I don't really do much myself, I am a college student and I live with my family. I can't really ask for too much haha. Of course I don't want someone who is felon, or really bad with drugs, alcohol, money, or have terrible anger issues, etc.

I don't fall for guys left and right, I did when I was a bit younger in high school. As I was quite insecure. My luck with guys is horrible as it never moves past a certain face. We will "talk" for a LONG time and then it's over. I learned a lot from my little experience I have had, and realized relationships may not be for me. I don't try to analyze myself because I'm weird with that kind of stuff. My basically told me that I want a guy I have spontaneous mutual attraction too, want him to look good (even though I did not say that), and I can't remember what else he said.

My point is, I don't think my standards are too high at all. I am not asking for a rich man, a man that looks like trey songz, an actor, an athlete or anything like that. As a matter of fact I am not looking at all. I am still trying to figure myself out. I don't mind being single, what is bothering me is that the fact that it's on my mind at all. I actually just turned 21 a few days ago to haha. I did get to the point where I felt that a relationship is not in my future. It bugged me for a while but I got over. I guess you can I am trying to focus myself on other things. What is your definition of having high standards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 05:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Your standards sound too low, if anything.

Is there any chance that your friend was just giving you boilerplate advice, without actually thinking about your specific situation?

I also wonder why your previous dates didn't go anywhere. Do you make moves, physically? Or do you think you have to wait for the guy to do it? Many guys are too shy, especially if you are unskilled at giving 'signals' or they are unskilled at reading them.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times
Well, in the other thread, there was a woman who said in a pool of 100 guys, she was attracted to 10 of them.

aka 10%

So using that as the benchmark, you relate back to what high standards are.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Your standards sound too low, if anything.

Is there any chance that your friend was just giving you boilerplate advice, without actually thinking about your specific situation?

I also wonder why your previous dates didn't go anywhere. Do you make moves, physically? Or do you think you have to wait for the guy to do it? Many guys are too shy, especially if you are unskilled at giving 'signals' or they are unskilled at reading them.
He has feelings for me actually but I think he was being objective as he possibly could with me though. He knows of what I told him. Most of the time I talked to these guys it was in high school and their concern was only sex. They didn't care too much for me. The other guys that liked me back on the other hand I was too shy to tell them how I felt. I was soooo self conscious about everything I did. It was because I was listening to everyone else's BS advice instead of my own.

Right now I am not interested in anyone. Most of the guys I have liked, it happened out of the blue. I have a general idea of what I want in a guy. The only thing that is missing is the mutual attraction, that is the MAIN thing I look for. I don't want to enter into a relationship just to get into one. As I stated before, being single doesn't bother me. It's the nagging feeling that I always will be is what is bugging me. I just decided to leave it alone and just live life. I'll figure out eventually.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I had a long discussion with a friend of mine yesterday. He knows me pretty well, and we see eye to eye a lot. I had told him I had been feeling some long time discomfort and distress with my life and myself lately. He flat out told me that my issue is that I don't know what I am suppose to do in life and that I need companionship.

I am inclined to agree with him. With companionship, I try not to entertain the thought of it because it has never happened to me before. Not romantically anyway. I know it is one of things I desire in life, but it is getting to the point where it is affecting my mood, when it shouldn't be. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to have someone in my life in order to be happy because I know better.

He told me he thinks my standards are unrealistically too high. Of course I don't think so, because the only thing I really care about is mutual attraction. I have been attracted to all kinds of guys, I don't pay attention to what he has, or what he does, not really. I don't really do much myself, I am a college student and I live with my family. I can't really ask for too much haha. Of course I don't want someone who is felon, or really bad with drugs, alcohol, money, or have terrible anger issues, etc.

I don't fall for guys left and right, I did when I was a bit younger in high school. As I was quite insecure. My luck with guys is horrible as it never moves past a certain face. We will "talk" for a LONG time and then it's over. I learned a lot from my little experience I have had, and realized relationships may not be for me. I don't try to analyze myself because I'm weird with that kind of stuff. My basically told me that I want a guy I have spontaneous mutual attraction too, want him to look good (even though I did not say that), and I can't remember what else he said.

My point is, I don't think my standards are too high at all. I am not asking for a rich man, a man that looks like trey songz, an actor, an athlete or anything like that. As a matter of fact I am not looking at all. I am still trying to figure myself out. I don't mind being single, what is bothering me is that the fact that it's on my mind at all. I actually just turned 21 a few days ago to haha. I did get to the point where I felt that a relationship is not in my future. It bugged me for a while but I got over. I guess you can I am trying to focus myself on other things. What is your definition of having high standards?
Guy friends are oftentimes not objective and give advice to make you want to go to them. This guy is merely manipulating you to make you want to go out with him.

Trust me, guy friends with feelings are nothing but manipulators.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Well, in the other thread, there was a woman who said in a pool of 100 guys, she was attracted to 10 of them.

aka 10%

So using that as the benchmark, you relate back to what high standards are.
I think for most women it is less than 5%, and for many it is less than 1%.

What is surprising is that when men get into social situations where many good looking women are available to them, they discover that they, too, are only truly interested in a few percent. Men in our culture are so often raised to think of sex as something scarce that they tend towards 'would I?' rather than 'do I really want to'?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
He has feelings for me actually but I think he was being objective as he possibly could with me though. He knows of what I told him. Most of the time I talked to these guys it was in high school and their concern was only sex. They didn't care too much for me. The other guys that liked me back on the other hand I was too shy to tell them how I felt. I was soooo self conscious about everything I did. It was because I was listening to everyone else's BS advice instead of my own.

Right now I am not interested in anyone. Most of the guys I have liked, it happened out of the blue. I have a general idea of what I want in a guy. The only thing that is missing is the mutual attraction, that is the MAIN thing I look for. I don't want to enter into a relationship just to get into one. As I stated before, being single doesn't bother me. It's the nagging feeling that I always will be is what is bugging me. I just decided to leave it alone and just live life. I'll figure out eventually.
No, you will not always be single . Almost everyone worries about that at your age, but the fears do not come true.

So, your friend's advice implies that you have been too picky in the past. Who, exactly, does he think you should have gone for that you didn't? Besides himself. Because the guys you describe don't sound to me like you were missing out on anything.

Sometimes when men say women are too picky, what they mean is, 'They should not be rejecting me.' And then they generalise it.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think for most women it is less than 5%, and for many it is less than 1%.

What is surprising is that when men get into social situations where many good looking women are available to them, they discover that they, too, are only truly interested in a few percent. Men in our culture are so often raised to think of sex as something scarce that they tend towards 'would I?' rather than 'do I really want to'?
I would say I find around 2-4% of the girls I see regularly to be attractive enough to approach.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Well, there is a distinct difference between standards and criteria. Enormous, in fact.

I just put this in a different post, but it bears repeating. Your standards should be pretty simple:

1) Mutual respect.
2) Mutual chemistry.
3) Mutual values.

That's it. Is this someone with whom you never get tired? Are you considerate of each other? Do you burn up the sheets? There you go.

The problem is that people don't keep things simple. Instead, they have a list of requirements as long as their arms. Height, weight, cup size, degrees, salary, religious faith, etc. etc.

Yet every time you tack on something to your list of Must Haves, you eliminate another chunk of the available pool of candidates. And eliminating some good people in the process.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, there is a distinct difference between standards and criteria. Enormous, in fact.

I just put this in a different post, but it bears repeating. Your standards should be pretty simple:

1) Mutual respect.
2) Mutual chemistry.
3) Mutual values.

That's it. Is this someone with whom you never get tired? Are you considerate of each other? Do you burn up the sheets? There you go.

The problem is that people don't keep things simple. Instead, they have a list of requirements as long as their arms. Height, weight, cup size, degrees, salary, religious faith, etc. etc.

Yet every time you tack on something to your list of Must Haves, you eliminate another chunk of the available pool of candidates. And eliminating some good people in the process.
That's pretty much all that I really look at. You summed it up quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships